Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:57 am 

Hi all,

I just want to know how the motorised arms allow such deep zoom. I know that they can take hundreds of images which helps but do they automatically take shots at different focal lengths as well to give the depth?? I mean, can I just program one of these things, stand back and let it run, or do I need to change the focal length and run it again and again to achieve the results?

I can't understand how the machines produce these gigapanos if they don't also change the focal lengths.

Many thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 am 

savski wrote:
Hi all,

I just want to know how the motorised arms allow such deep zoom. I know that they can take hundreds of images which helps but do they automatically take shots at different focal lengths as well to give the depth?? I mean, can I just program one of these things, stand back and let it run, or do I need to change the focal length and run it again and again to achieve the results?

I can't understand how the machines produce these gigapanos if they don't also change the focal lengths.

Many thanks in advance!

I don't know of any robotioc pano heads that - by themselves - can automate focusing of a camera/lens during shoot.

Depending on the scene and your camera/lens choice you may be able to get everything in focus by setting you camera/lens at the hyperfocal distance:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... stance.htm

Or you may need to refocus manually during the shoot. I read that some choose to check/re-focus every row, it helps if you robotic pano head can automatically pause at the start of each row in this case.

there are third-party hardware and software tools that can automate focus stacking but I don't know if anyone has tried using them along with an robotic pano head. It would add considerable extra image processing before stitching.

Reshooting entire multi-gigapixel panos at different focus settings in a serial fashion, is unlikely to be successful because of the time it would take, and changes in light levels, movements in the scene and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:02 pm 

savski wrote:

Hi!

The onlky thing they do is to shoot panoramas using long or very long focal-lengths.
This results in very much images.
This results in a very big final image.
This reults in a very high possible 1:1 scaling.
This results in a very deep zooming @1:1.

See here: i used 85mm on 21Mpx, reulting in about 3,5-4 Gigapixels on a full sphere:
http://360impressions.de/KBogen413/

PanoTourPro makes it to VERY much small tiles - which get assembled when you
load them to your browser as an interactive panorama.

So: no rocket science at all - but also not really easy :cool:

best, Klaus