FINALLY, NIKON IS MAKING A 360 ACTION CAM! :)  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 120 posts
Info

FINALLY, NIKON IS MAKING A 360 ACTION CAM! :)

by Destiny » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:08 am

Hi...

Nikon is finally on board with 360 Action Cameras.. I want one I want one I want one... :lol: It seems to have everything I would expect an Action Camera to have and the design makes real sense to me unlike other options. If I were to design a 360 camera, this is how I would have done it.. Two big fisheye lenses.. It looks great!.. =D :cool:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produc ... .page?fs=y

Its about time too... No pricing information as yet as far as I know.. If its affordable I am buying one!!!

Destiny..
Attachments
Nikon.jpg

Destiny

Topic author
Info

Re: FINALLY, NIKON IS MAKING A 360 ACTION CAM! :)

by Destiny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:02 am

Hey there..

I really believe GoPro missed the boast sitting on the fence with the Virtual Reality media. They had the opportunity to be the industry leaders with VR Camera Technologies.. But they relied on their base Action Camera far too much, which in my view was a big mistake.. Then along came great ideas using improved Rig solutions to capture 360 video, which were never going to be perfect but at least it is a solution..

Nikon too have sat on the fence with this media technology, they could have done a lot more a lot sooner.. I have read that the Mission 360 is just one of the new Action Cameras Nikon will be launching this year.. So GoPro need to watch this space.. They have had their time and now others are coming up behind them very very fast... I personally would not buy a GoPro since to me they are way over priced, and I would certainly not buy a Rig with all its inherent issues for the money it cost to set up..

A single two lens solution built from the ground up specifically for 360 media is the only way to do it...

This youtube clip explain a bit more about the new Nikon Mission 360 Camera..

https://youtu.be/Gy0P8vO80rI

The questions now are. Where does this leave all the other companies partially those currently developing solutions and those who already have a product outputting iffy media results.. Affordability and quality of media are key to the success of the Mission 360 Camera. If Nikon gets it right, there will only be one solution for people to consider.. I singed up to receive updates about the Nikon Mission Camera.. There seem to be a sad lack of information at the moment.. Also, the media examples have seen are not what I would expect from a Nikon camera. But as the guy on the YouTube video said, the showcases Nikon have provided at the show are far better...

Destiny..

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:44 pm

Looks like B&H are ready to sell the KeyMission 360 Action Cam... Still no mention on the price..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... amera.html

Destiny...

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 am

Hi.. All the demos I have seen so far from the new Nikon KeyMission seem to have 3 distinct sections to the video traveling from top to bottom.. Half in the middle and a quarter at each of the ends.. You can see mergers of motion and double images ghosting between the section of video.. Even Nikon with all their resources and knowhow seem to be finding it hard to achieve a perfect 360 sphere result..

Destiny..
Attachments
NikonKeyMission.jpg

BrianLR

Liked in: 1 post
Info

by BrianLR » Sun May 01, 2016 12:28 am

I received the following from Nikon on April 25th:

Thank you for your interest in the
Nikon KeyMission 360 action camera.
We are excited for you to be among the first to experience this revolutionary new way to share your world and want to update you about when the product will be available.

Designing, testing and producing a truly innovative product has taken longer than originally anticipated, and the Nikon KeyMission 360 action camera will be delayed until October 2016. We apologize for the delay, and we're making every effort to bring this product to market at the earliest possible date, while keeping to Nikon's high product standards.

As we have more information and articles to share with you, we will make sure to send them your way.

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun May 01, 2016 12:51 am

Hi. Yes I received the same email.. I have pointed out shortfalls in their WB and NPP which in my view are unacceptable, partially since its a Nikon.. They do not like truthful statements so I need to be diplomatic.. Basically, if they release their all new so called "truly innovative product", it needs to be a truly innovative product, otherwise it will just be yet another dud that falls into a heap, like many other options currently available.. They need to fix the WB and parallax issues.. At the moment there few demo videos are not up to standard.. Even Nikon have come to realise that the 360 video media is not an easy media to get perfect.. I look forward to hearing more about this new camera...

Thank you for sharing...

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by rolly1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:12 am

any news of it yet Destiny ? must have problems Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:46 am

No word on it yet.. Its not as easy as they might have thought.. I pointed out many failure in their unit months ago.. Even the Samsung is still being developed. That other pice of junk, I mean door stop, we do not speak about has huge issues too.. The only way they can fix the issue is to have the ability to capture HDR video automatically.. That way the blending between lenses would be a lot better.. However, that is only part of the problem they face. Its the NPP accuracy.. If its not right they might as well not release it.. Otherwise they will have many returned. Personally, I feel they are designing it wrong.. They need to develop a small ultra wide fisheye lens before they begin to design the unit.. Who knows, they might have all the kinks fix soon.. would be very nice to see one in action...

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi destiny I think the 360 deg video seen is a mess , is there anything on the market that actually works ? cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:29 am

Well, to me not really.. The 360 Fly seems to capture OK's video. But for me I am hanging out for much better options.. The RIG is an improvised solution.. A great idea but it can never be perfect and is very very expensive for no so great results. I really do not like the fact a Rig has many memory cards.. Just on error and the entire video is stuffed. Too many variables.. I am certain much better options will become available very soon. It can only get better..

Destiny..

PS.. GoPro need to look out.. Andrew S just sent me this.. http://www.gizmag.com/nico360-camera-sm ... ult-widget

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:22 pm

Gee that looks promising doesn't it , price looks promising also I met an interesting person a while ago the operations manager of ( Georama.com.au ) very VR driven company , you should check out there I think impressive web site it's very good cheers rolly1