GPU criteria  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
gkaefer

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

GPU criteria

by gkaefer » Mon May 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Dear Kolor Team,

I know several times on the Forum this or part of this was raised in past, but if I remember correct, no complete Image could be given (finally not to me ;-)

criteria I could Imaging playing a role for that:

I try to figure out which GPU criteria is relevant for
workflow:
+ working on single Projects, huge gigapixels etc.
+ working on average Projects (up to 500 Images or so) but simultanously on several Projects

Software:
+ stitching autpano panos
+ preview in autopano

+ creating panotours
+ editing tours

+ stitching 360 Videos
+ editing 360 Videos

GPU Hardware:
+ AMD or nvidia
+ GPU Memory
+ single precision
+ double precision
+ SLI
+ Crossfire
+ DirectX 11
+ DirectX 12

it makes big difference to invest 1300$ in one Titan x or use the same Money to invest in 3 gtx 980's... finally if the one or the other would not perfectly fit fot kolor products or only 1/3 of the Hardware could be used for this purpose....

danke im voraus!
Liebe Grüße,
Georg

klausesser

Liked in: 30 posts
Info

Re: GPU criteria

by klausesser » Mon May 18, 2015 8:26 pm

gkaefer wrote:it makes big difference to invest 1300$ in one Titan x or use the same Money to invest in 3 gtx 980's... finally if the one or the other would not perfectly fit fot kolor products or only 1/3 of the Hardware could be used for this purpose....

Hey Georg!

Seems it´s hard to get profound informations from Kolor - traditionally, aside from the first years when they were rather close to us users and listened to us . . . ;) :cool:

What i experienced regarding my MacPro 2x3GHzXeons, 8 cores 32GB and my PC i7, 64GB is that i had a very fine performance using a NVidia Quadro 2000 and 4000 card even with very big panos.
Editing and rendering both were very comfortable.
First i had a Quadro 600 on the MacPro (which "officially" shouldn´t work . . but i got it tweaked). That was a first step into this "Quadro-thing" . . ;) :cool:

Klaus

gkaefer

Topic author
Info

by gkaefer » Thu May 21, 2015 10:26 am

no one from kolor?

you have the "Computer system guide", which is available here: http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... stem_guide

here you state to discuss questions about this guide here:

If you have any questions or comments, please post them in http://www.autopano.net/forum/t6171-hardware-computer-system-guide

... this is a dead end link.... can you correct it?

so I rise my question here:

under Videocard you do write:

Currently, Autopano does not utilize the GPU in processes other than Panorama Editor, but that probably will change in time. The rendering engine inside 2.5 is OpenCL based, so some time in the future the rendering will gain a huge speedup from using the GPU. GTX 460 is a good investment too, as in the future you can get another and SLI them, which will beat almost anything within reasonable price range.

what changed meanwhile using rendering engine 4.0.1 ?
about SLI statement: does this mean SLI is supported since rendering engine 2.5 ?

regards,
Georg

PS: is it not common at least every six months to review the website for outdated data @ kolor ?

renan
Kolor Team

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by renan » Thu May 21, 2015 2:02 pm

There shouldn't be any preferences between AMD and NVidia. For AVP we are currently experiencing some problems with inbuilt Intel graphics cards.

We are looking to maximise compatibility so we don't use any advanced features. We mainly use GLSL 1.2, particularly to stay compatible on Mac.
There is no OpenCL, no directX and no multi-gpu support.

For the software, only certain parts are concerned by the GPU:
* Autopano's editor: It's mostly memory that is necessary, to handle the textures to be shown for Gigapixels and projects with many bracket levels.
* Preview and rending in Autopano Video: doesn't require enormous amounts of memory in standard cases of 6 cameras (it holds with 500MB but 2GB minimum is best because other applications and your system also need memory). Power allows your to speed up rending, which will ultimately be limited by disk access/speed and the CPU for the decoding and encoding of the videos.

Renan

Annis
Kolor Team

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by Annis » Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 pm

gkaefer wrote:no one from kolor?

you have the "Computer system guide", which is available here: http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... stem_guide

I'll have to point out that that Computer system guide is in the User Tips section, meaning the content of that page is user-written.

It is also outdated, as you have pointed out, but the link should have been removed, it seems that it has managed to come back.

gkaefer wrote:here you state to discuss questions about this guide here:
If you have any questions or comments, please post them in http://www.autopano.net/forum/t6171-hardware-computer-system-guide

... this is a dead end link.... can you correct it?

Dead link to a very old topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6171

gkaefer wrote:PS: is it not common at least every six months to review the website for outdated data @ kolor ?

It generally is, but not on user generated content, and that page was meant to have been removed altogether since it is incredibly outdated.

Annis

klausesser

Liked in: 30 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu May 21, 2015 2:54 pm

renan wrote:
For the software, only certain parts are concerned by the GPU:
* Autopano's editor: It's mostly memory that is necessary, to handle the textures to be shown for Gigapixels and projects with many bracket levels.

That´s what i always say: processing bracketed shots BEFORE stitching makes APG a much easier job compared to the use of bracketed stacks in APG for fusioning.

:cool: :cool:

Klaus

gkaefer

Topic author
Info

by gkaefer » Thu May 21, 2015 6:29 pm

thanks for replys.
didnt notice that the guide is in real a redesinged layout of the old wiki maintained by users... ;-)

Georg

Return to Hardware