Best Canon lens for virtual tours?  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
emnicolls

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Best Canon lens for virtual tours?

by emnicolls » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm interested in getting started in virtual tours using Panotour and I'm trying to do a bit of research into what gear I should buy that I don't already have.

Which lens would be better? (I have a Canon 5D mark II body)
Canon 8-15mm f4L fisheye or
Canon 11-14mm f4L

I have a Canon 16-35mm f2.8L. Is it necessary for me to be buying a wider angle lens than what I have?
Any suggestions on a good panoramic head that I can find here in Australia would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 112 posts
Info

Re: Best Canon lens for virtual tours?

by mediavets » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:29 pm

emnicolls wrote:I'm interested in getting started in virtual tours using Panotour and I'm trying to do a bit of research into what gear I should buy that I don't already have.

Canon 11-14mm f4L

I have a Canon 16-35mm f2.8L. Is it necessary for me to be buying a wider angle lens than what I have?

Welcome to the forum...

You can shoot spherical panos (or non-spherical panos) with any lens. But it's eaier to shoot spherical panos with a fisheye lens; it requires fewer images to cover the panoFOV, so quicker to shoot and process, and fewer images means fewer seams and fewer chances of stitbhing errors.

So of the two lenses you cited I would pick the Canon 8-15mm fisheye for shooting panos.

Any suggestions on a good panoramic head that I can find here in Australia would be much appreciated too.

Thanks!

Check out the Nodal Ninja 4 pano head.

emnicolls likes this post.

klausesser

Liked in: 44 posts
Info

Re: Best Canon lens for virtual tours?

by klausesser » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:30 pm

emnicolls wrote:I'm interested in getting started in virtual tours using Panotour and I'm trying to do a bit of research into what gear I should buy that I don't already have.

Canon 11-14mm f4L

Thanks!

Definitely the Canon 8 -15mm fisheye would be the preferable lens for average panorama work.
But you also might find it´s predecessor, the 2,8/15mm fisheye for a very good price!

I used the Canon 2,8/15mm fisheye for some years and it did a very good job.

I suggest the NodalNinja 3 to 5 or a head in this range for the use with a fullframe-fisheye like the 2,8/15mm Canon FE or the 4/8-15mm FE-Zoom. The heads provide a small footprint and are ideal for the use with
fisheyes. The 15mm fisheyes on the 5D2 gives you around 112mPx with 6 to 7 shots for a full sphere. You can shoot the sphere in around 60 seconds after having gathered some experience.

Klaus

emnicolls likes this post.

Return to Hardware