Replacement ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB wanted..  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 56 posts
Info

Replacement ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB wanted..

by Destiny » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi...

My old iMac looks like new but.. the graphics/video card is failing.. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. I get Pink Lines down the screen. I read onto internet that its the Video/Graphics card. Real shame to throw it away... I really want to pass it onto my little girl to use but.. finding a replacement ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB video/graphics card is hard and some want heap of $$ for them..

My iMac is early 2009, 24'', 2.93 Processor core 2 Guo.. The reviews on the Radeon are very good, and its no wonder since my old iMac is just over 6 years old..

Does anyone know the best place to buy a new Graphics card from... The Mac repair place said it will cost about $89 to put it in if I can get one.. They apparently cannot since they have to buy their parts from Apple and Apple do not supply this part anymore...

Destiny...

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 79 posts
Info

Re: Replacement ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB wanted..

by mediavets » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Destiny wrote:Hi...

My old iMac looks like new but.. the graphics/video card is failing.. Sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't. I get Pink Lines down the screen. I read onto internet that its the Video/Graphics card. Real shame to throw it away... I really want to pass it onto my little girl to use but.. finding a replacement ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB video/graphics card is hard and some want heap of $$ for them..

My iMac is early 2009, 24'', 2.93 Processor core 2 Guo.. The reviews on the Radeon are very good, and its no wonder since my old iMac is just over 6 years old..

Does anyone know the best place to buy a new Graphics card from... The Mac repair place said it will cost about $89 to put it in if I can get one.. They apparently cannot since they have to buy their parts from Apple and Apple do not supply this part anymore...

Destiny...

Look on eBay. there are loads listed in the UK; is there anything special about the one in your mac?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... B&_sacat=0

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Oh... further research reveals that of course the part used in the iMac is completely non-standard and hence unique to the iMac and hence absurdly expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-661-5315- ... 4636847aa7

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Thats is what I mean.. Very expensive and there are so many on eBay its confusion... I already tried to find.. So I posted here instead... For those in the know.. ;)

Destiny...

mediavets wrote:Oh... further research reveals that of course the part used in the iMac is completely non-standard and hence unique to the iMac and hence absurdly expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-661-5315- ... 4636847aa7

klausesser

Liked in: 38 posts
Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:17 am

Destiny wrote:Thats is what I mean.. Very expensive and there are so many on eBay its confusion... I already tried to find.. So I posted here instead... For those in the know.. ;)

"Those in the know" usually know where to look ;) :

https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+ ... ment/13765

Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:21 am

That's a good guide for the bold DIYer.

But the cost of a replacement graphics subsystem is so high one wonders whether it's worthwhile for an iMac of that age?

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:23 am

... Already seen that web site.. I need the replacement part, not a DIY on how to fix it.. The Mac guy will do that..

Destiny..

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:Thats is what I mean.. Very expensive and there are so many on eBay its confusion... I already tried to find.. So I posted here instead... For those in the know.. ;)

"Those in the know" usually know where to look ;) :

https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+ ... ment/13765

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:26 am

Destiny wrote:... Already seen that web site.. I need the replacement part, not a DIY on how to fix it.. The Mac guy will do that..

Destiny..

How much do you reckon it's worth spending to fix it?

Andrew

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:42 am

Well... It will cost $85 to have the Video Card installed by the Apple approved shop.. But its finding an affordable replacement which is key. I will not send hundreds on one. Real shame.. The iMac hasn't a scratch on it... It looks new still.... Not sure what to do about it...

Destiny...

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:31 pm

mediavets wrote:That's a good guide for the bold DIYer.

But the cost of a replacement graphics subsystem is so high one wonders whether it's worthwhile for an iMac of that age?

Well . . frankly: i never would prefer to use an iMac for hard-core image processing - which is what you dou´re dealing with when you do real hires photography and gigapixel-panoramas.

Upgrading components to actual performance is almost impossible - at least at acceptable costs.

That´s why i returned the new MacPro. It´s VERY nice - but it´s also a dead-end street hardware-architecture in my eyes.
Apple will roll out new MacPro upgraded to what is currently highend-hardware-standard (!) in fall - but can the actual machines take the upgrades at all??
IF they can: it will be expensive as usual - because they are specially built for THIS machine. And you can not use other components than Apple´s any more - like we hardcore-users did before using fine PC-components.

The Pro is a - as said - nice and quite impressing machine, very small and very silent.
BUT: you need to care for MUCH free space BEHIND the machine for placing connections, HDs, or whatever decvices we all usually have INSIDE the machine. I actually have 8 TB of HD inside my MacPro - and i can hot-swap them in seconds. I have - aside from the graphic cards - an audio-interface and a video-interface for editing INSIDE the machine.

So after all the small build-factor has no advantage at all.

In my MacPro 2x3Ghz Xeons 8 cores from 2008 (!) i can use an affordable NVidia-Quadro 600 iGB card AND a GForce 2GB card which both come from PC. A little hack - two words - in the driver-installer and they run fine on my Mac =D :cool:
I installed Mavericks on the machine (which Apple says it wouldn´t work) - and i can install Yosemite (but i hate it) and i got a set of 32 GB server-RAM which perfectly fits the machine . . for a fraction of the price Apple is calling.
The same is with other components like SSD, HD and so on.

I refuse to bow to Apple regarding the components i have to use.

Actually i have Mavericks also running on PC-hardware featuring 96 GB RAM . . . runs like a charm.

Conclusion: all-in-one machines are great - especially coming from Apple!
Great design, great functionality, not so great but good performance.

BUT - and that´s not only related to Apple - they´re somewhat limited when it comes to upgrading components.

As we see in Destiny´s case actually.

Klaus

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:41 pm

Destiny wrote:Well... It will cost $85 to have the Video Card installed by the Apple approved shop.. But its finding an affordable replacement which is key. I will not send hundreds on one. Real shame.. The iMac hasn't a scratch on it... It looks new still.... Not sure what to do about it...

Destiny...

I suggest to firstly checking all connections by moving them a bit - sometimes it´s just corroding connections. It also can happen when dust came into the blower and the GPU gets overheated.

Open the machine and use a brush and a strong vacuum cleaner for cleaning the board and un-dust the blower. I had a graphic card which seemed to have died by overheating caused by dust in the blower. I cleaned the blower and brushed the contacts - and it worked again.

It´s definitely worth a try!

Klaus

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes, worth a try... The iMac is over six years old so dust could be inside...

I am thinking of installing Mavericks onto a Portable HD so I can install Shake on it... I am assuming El Capitan OS X will not support it either.. Real shame to allow software like that to die off..

Destiny....

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:07 am

oh hum.. I don't think so.. Not as easy as it might sound.. I have researched but to get to the insides, it has to be done via the front since there are no screws at the back.. Its all very neat.. Not a scratch on the case.. But the insides might be dusty and dying.. I might have bought my new iMac at the right time.. Good job I was able to migrate the data before it died.. This YouTub clip shows how involved it all is just to get to the insides... With a PC you just take the side off and you have access to everything.. eemmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Jjyt5XpJ4

Destiny..

Return to Hardware