Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:31 pm 

Hi..

I needed to increase the size of my Windows partition on my Mac.. I read a lot of stuff on free dodgy fixes so decided to do it the less risky way, so I bought Paragon Camtune X. It said it only takes minutes.. Well, kind of.. it took 90 minutes before it said.. Success!.... I added an extra 20 GIG to my Windows partition.. I thought all was well until after holding down the alt key, I do not have the Windows Drive Icon anymore.. I have the Drive icon on my Desktop with all the contents but now I have no way of opening Windows...

Does anyone know how to fix this.. Husbands not happy.. Its his Mac... :rolleyes:

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:58 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Hi..

I needed to increase the size of my Windows partition on my Mac.. I read a lot of stuff on free dodgy fixes so decided to do it the less risky way, so I bought Paragon Camtune X. It said it only takes minutes.. Well, kind of.. it took 90 minutes before it said.. Success!.... I added an extra 20 GIG to my Windows partition.. I thought all was well until after holding down the alt key, I do not have the Windows Drive Icon anymore.. I have the Drive icon on my Desktop with all the contents but now I have no way of opening Windows...

Does anyone know how to fix this.. Husbands not happy.. Its his Mac... :rolleyes:

Destiny..

I strongly suggest to use an extra drive for Win only instead of a partition on your Mac-system-disk. I use Win7 with VMWare. No probs so far.
But i don´t do big things on it. For this i have a PC with several drives in it - one of them is a Hackintosh running Mavericks . .
on a PC :cool: Works great! 64GB RAM for low money.

So if you use Win on a Mac - better have at least two big drives. But the best it works with 4 fast (!) drives: 1) Mac-system, 2) Win-system, 3) data-store, 4) temp.
For temp i suggest a RAID0 of two very fast smaller drives - 2 x 500 GB highspeed drives or SSDs do fine.

Does your Mac have an eSATA port? If so: use it for temp. If not: take at least FW800.

That´s what i found out using Win7 in a VM on Mac (Pro).

Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:21 pm 

But... none of that really answers my current situation does it...
You are just telling me what you would do...

I would like to hear from someone who can guild me into fixing my issue...

Destiny..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:52 am 

Destiny wrote:

Destiny..

I wrote it because you gave no information about how big your current drive is and how much space is left for
"adding 20Gigs to the Win-partition". But that´s vital informations regarding your issue.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:18 pm 

.. but does it really matter how big my drive is or how much I added.. ??

The issue was.. My bootcamp icon reboot was gone after re-partistioning my Windows. I have since learnt from those in the know that this a common issue when changing the bootcamp drive partition size... There is no real fix....

I would encourage anyone thinking of adding to their Bootcamp drive, is not to... For some reason, I have yet to find out, if you use the Disk Utility to edit your partition, bootcamp reboot will probably be deleted...

You will be better of backing up your Bootcamp, then deleting your Bootcamp partition, then recreate with the extra size size you need. Then copy over your bootcamp backup..

Recommendations.. Camptune X is only $20... Save your money since it will cause you more issues so its a total waist of money. The support is terrible too.. I will correct this if they ever return my issue ticket...

I am currently testing iSkysoft HD drive recovery.. Seems to work but very very slow...

Do not use Winclone..!!! Unless you want all your data deleted.. The software seems to be ok but it fails to warn of harmful effects...

Destiny....

klausesser wrote:
Destiny wrote:

Destiny..

I wrote it because you gave no information about how big your current drive is and how much space is left for
"adding 20Gigs to the Win-partition". But that´s vital informations regarding your issue.

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:48 pm 

Destiny wrote:
.. but does it really matter how big my drive is or how much I added.. ??

Yes. Adding space to a partition needs this partition to have some amount of free space and also low fragmentation to work relieable.
Besides of that it´s a problem having it all on ONE drive. The heads of the drive can only be on one place at a time -
but the would need to read/write to *different* places at the same time when they handle system- and application routines, data and temp-files simultanuously.

So the speed dramatically decreases when ONE drive needs to do all operations one after another - instead of splitting the ops
to several drives, where they all can be done in parallel. Don´t forget: moving and placing the heads means mechanical
movement. There are several heads on an arm - but there´s only ONE arm to move and place them at a time.
Splitting the ops to several heads which operate simultanuously and independently from each other can only be done by using
different drives.

That´s why i suggested to preferably use at least two drives for avoiding conflicts - one for MacOS and one for Win. Strictly seperated.
Or one drive for the both OS and another for all temporary files.

A step further regarding speed and reliability is to use more drives - as i described before.

This drives don´t even need to be big and expensive - 1TB-drives come for about 40.- or 60.-€ these days. Even external (iMac).
External drives connected via USB are very much slower than internal drives connected to the system SATA bus.

I know people who kicked off the DVD drives in their iMacs for replacing them with an additonal HD.

Klaus

Destiny wrote:
I would encourage anyone thinking of adding to their Bootcamp drive,

In your initial posting you wrote Bootcamp-*partition*! So what is it: an extra Bootcamp -*drive* (HD)
or a Bootcamp-*partition* residing on your Mac HD?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 pm 

I used the Bootcamp partition feature Apple provided.

It seems that its a common fact, ha.. common now but I did not know about it.. When you Change the Partition Bootcamp will be gone.. Although the contents remains... Not sure why Apply does not warn of this partially when there are just so many people with the same issue... I also do not understand why Apple does not provide the operation when the partition is altered within Mac, that the Windows partition is move accordingly.. But its not.. You have to go into Windows and move that partition the same amount.. But no point since the Bootcamp boot option will be gone...

I am doing plan D... I copied all of the contents from the Windows partition. I am going to delete Bootcamp partition and start from scratch.. I am hoping that I can copy over my Windows backup..

Destiny..