WARNING BEFORE UPGRADING TO MAVERICKS  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
Destiny

WARNING BEFORE UPGRADING TO MAVERICKS

by Destiny » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:10 am

Hi..

Recently I have had a few issues with my portable hard drives.. Partially the Seagate one.. It will keep ejecting by itself and files will not show, so not sure if they are lost.. Its been really annoying.. I thought it was the HD dying but its not.. I tried to copy the files when they do show but within seconds the HD will self eject. Its a bug with Mavericks apparently. This issue is more prevalent with Western Digital Hard Drives. But most other portable hards drives are also being effected.. I was amazed to read so much information about this issue on many forums including the Apple forum.

Some parasite software companies are trying to cash in on this issue as this one here.. http://www.cleverfiles.com/os-x-maveric ... overy.html Don't be fooled by these mobs.

I have now disconnected my other Lacie HD so its not effected buy this bug. Now I have no way to backup.. I guess Apple did not just give Mavericks away for free out of the kindness of their hearts.. I bet it was to use all Apple users as guinea pigs to find bugs and issues. I would guess Mavericks has cost Mac users a lot to time and money..

I have sent an email to Lacie asking them about this issue. I know they merged with Seagate but I am not sure if the Lacie HD has the Seagate HD in it. I would guess it does..

When I disconnected my portable HD's my Mac is working a lot quicker so I am guessing this issue was beginning the day I updated to Mavericks. I would suggest anyone to backup all data on a second HD if possible.. I am hoping when this bug is fixed by Apple that my HD will work again and all files will be available. You can do your own search on Google. If anyone has had this issue and has fond a fix, I would love to hear from you..

Destiny..

PS.. Its seems that the new Yosemite OS has the same issues..
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6607783

What is with the name.. Sounds like its been named by an Aussie who loves vegemite :lol:

no avatar
klausesser

Re: WARNING BEFORE UPGRADING TO MAVERICKS

by klausesser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Destiny wrote:I bet it was to use all Apple users as guinea pigs to find bugs and issues. I would guess Mavericks has cost Mac users a lot to time and money..

Not in my case and not in the case of anybody i know. Update runs as well
as a clean install (which is always preferable) on another machine.
Even on my "Hackintosh" . . . PC i7, 64GB RAM - running Mavericks flawlessly and VERY fast.

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:48 pm

Can you state which external hard drives brand etc you are using.. et al..

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:39 pm

Destiny wrote: Can you state which external hard drives brand etc you are using.. et al..

Destiny..

2x LaCie Big Quadra per Firewire 800, 2x WD Passeport per FW 800
on a 17" MacBook Pro and a MacPro 2x Xeons w. 8 cores.
The MacPro contains 4 internal drives á 2 Terabytes, so the external LaCie-drives
are for storage and the Passeports are for interchange data between my machine and a remote renderfarm.
Sharkoon 5-bay RAID station via eSATA on the "Hackintosh-Mavericks" PC per eSATA.

Klaus

Destiny

by Destiny » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:39 am

With all I have read, clean install has not been mentioned so this might be relevant to the issue.

My Seagate is effected. I really want to back it up before its corrupted..

My 500 GIG Lacie split with Window and Mac partitioned is being ejected sometimes, but I can still save and do all nomad functions. When I am in Windows, it never ejects. I unchecked the Power Save for HD suggested by the Apple forum, which seems to have fixed the issue for now. There is also a software app which tells the HD to keep spinning.. Not so sure if thats works or not..

My 4TB Lacie is still ok. Never self ejected, however I have now unplugged it just in case.

My Lacie HD's are the Porsche design. Love them.. Very nice HD..

I have had two PMs from others who have had the same issue.. Western Stare and Seagate.

Destiny..

Destiny

by Destiny » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:24 am

Hey...

My 500 GIG Lacie was fine for a few days but then self ejected so I will now leave it unplugged. For back up I will plug it in but will not leave it plugged in.. I have had a few PMs suggesting that Lacie is one of the HDs effected by the self eject. Two people have the new Mac OS so its a bug carried through..

Not everyone is effected and not every HD so the might be a common cause or it might just be random.. One thing for certain, I will not be upgrading to Yosemite until I have read reviews..

It might not be Mavericks or Yosemite at fault but its strange that Western Star and other brands are effected so I would concede that it is the newer Mac OS at fault..

Destiny..

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:17 am

Destiny wrote:It might not be Mavericks or Yosemite at fault but its strange that Western Star and other brands are effected so I would concede that it is the newer Mac OS at fault..

Can you evaluate the action which takes place when the disk unmounts? Is it always at a certain time (after 3 minutes or so) or when you run a certain action?
With a LaCie i had an issue some time ago because instable current caused by a power-cable. The system "unplugged" it then showing a warning.

Klaus

It also might be an issue caused by a file-system you used before. I suggest to backup the datas of your LaCie and re-format the disks using the actual Yosemite file-system.

Return to Hardware