Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:00 pm 

destiny that's great news ,ok on the upgrade ,sigma and tamron are really upping there quality control these days ,the tamron 24 - 70 I have is matching or beating the Nikon lens in reviews and it has vr as well , I will be getting 14 - 24 Nikon or 16 - 28 tokina before I look at these 500 mm lenses , and before that I have to upgrade ptp 1.8 to ptp 2 so it will be a long time before it happens cheers rolly1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 pm 

Hey... The 14-24 is a wonderful lens, great for real estate and close up scenes... Great too for a wide single row pano but it can have issues with a sphere...

To be honest I will have more use for the 50-500mm than the 14-24... We can't wait to go out with it...:)))

Destiny

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 pm 

Yes Rolly1, I checked on lens creep.. Its both ways pointing up and down.. One is better than the other..
We can live with it.. The Nikon 80-300mm has internal mechanisms so no lens creep I guess, however that lens is twice the price.. Often a review has both these lenses side by side.. and often in many areas, the 50-500 is better... There is good an bad with all lenses.. I have done more research and feel we have made the right choice for our use.

The only downside is its heavy.. But it has great zoom, great optics, well made with nice finish. It has a hood that can come off :lol: .. It has a filter ring and a crop ring for DX.. Not sure how that works.. 2 year Aussie warranty..

We will be buying a Black Rapid Cargo CR2 camera strap and an el'cheap'o Monopod.. Buying overseas is so much cheaper but its the post that kills it.. So no point.. If I have an issue I can always return it too.... ;)

Destiny..

..."by the way the sigma 150 to 500 zoom creeps pointed down but ok pointing up so I am told by one owner"

Last edited by Destiny on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:48 pm 

Destiny wrote:

To be honest I will have more use for the 50-500mm

I never came across a lens of THAT extremely wide range which was real good.
In my eyes it´s quite impossible to build a somehow affordable lens in this range which
even comes near the quality of a more moderate zoom - not to speak of a prime.

I strongly suggest to run intensive tests with it yourself before buying it.
"Never trust a test you didn´t fake yourself" . . . =D :cool:

Matching the capability of a 36MPx camera is very hard for a lens . . . unless
you don´t want to pay a fortune.

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:56 pm 

I don't want to pay a fortune... In fact, many of the reviews put the Sigma 50-500 lens in the same spectrum as a Nikon 80-400mm... which cost twice as much... But even that lens has issues.. As for optics, its on par with many more expensive lenses..

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-AP ... ible-price

"The Sigma might not have the build and outright image quality at the longer end of the zoom range of the premium marques, with Nikon’s own offering being recently redesigned and improved in lots of meaningful ways. But, given the extra versatility from the wider zoom and the savings of around $1,000 over the Nikon badged lens, the Sigma is hard to ignore."

I tested this lens out in the camera store and the images I took at full zoom were as sharp as middle and close up.. I then tried the 80-400mm, and although I preferred this lens since it is MUCH lighter for me, the quality of the images were not that much different.. The zoom is internal which I also preferred but.. as I said.. "I do not want to pay a fortune..".. about $2,600 whereas the 50-500mm is about $1,300..

The quote above was based on the OLD build lens.. The new 50-500mm is much better.. In fact its quite beautifully made.. The older version has a rough texture and it also had some optic issues..

Destiny..

[/quote] . . . unless you don´t want to pay a fortune.

Klaus[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 am 

destiny did you try it on D800 , i have always said the same as what Klaus said but this new model of 50 to 500 seems buck the trend ,most comments i have read great to 400 a bit soft to 500 ,I had 18 to 250 tamron years ago and that was not good anywhere just tried to do too much , a person in camera club i am in had old 50 to 500 sigma got rid of it same reason even sent it back to sigma they said that there was nothing wrong with it , If i end up getting one of these lenses it will have to be better than nikon 70 to 200 2.8 with 2x tele converter at 400 mm i think that's longest focal length that i can put on my Panogear robot with my control box, i think the weight would be ok not sure about weight shift as zoom out will have to check that as well cheers Rolly1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:51 am 

Yes Rolly1... We took our D800 in and tested it on that.. I only had time to shoot a few photos but as far as we could see, it worked really well.. The auto focus was quick.. The stabilising system also seemed to work well.. We took photos at full zoom and a mid and closeup shot, all good.. The only downside for me was the weight.. Its very heavy but we are going buy a Monopod, probably the Manfrotto 681B.. I will use my Acratech GP Ballhead on top.. That will allow me to put the camera to portrait and landscape.. For safety I will also buy the Black Rapid Cargo RS 5 strap.. Screw that to the Camera.. I would prefer the Nikon but but they are mostly much more expensive.. the 50-500mm is 10 X Zoom... We are buying what we can afford, it might not be the very best sharpness but we feel acceptable for us... We are not buying it for professional use.. Only time will tell.. We did a lot of research and was guided here too..

Destiny...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:59 am 

The 70-200mm is a nice lens but its over $1000 more.. :(

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70-200mm-ii.htm

Destiny..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am 

rolly1 wrote:
. . . that i can put on my Panogear robot with my control box, i think the weight would be ok not sure about weight shift as zoom out will have to check . . .

Hi Rolly1!

Do you use a T&C handheld?

When a lens gets too heavy on the Merlin: attach a counterweight. This way you minimize the mass-problem. But the mechanical accuracy of the Merli´s ablity in precise positioning don´t allow more than 300mm lenses.

And the shooting time with more than 105mm (tested) rises dramatically - the fast move for going to the next position and the slow move for exact positioning become only ONE slow move the whole time: the angles between fast and slow moving become too narrow related to the technical precision of the motors, sensors and gear.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:35 pm 

thank you Klaus you have told me more in that one post about my panogear than I have worked out since I bought it ,I know it has 2 speeds of course ,and I thought 400 mm because that's where the controller maxes out and it seemed to overlap ok at that , I have only tried a couple times at that because my old computer was too slow ,so my best lens combination would be 70 to 200 with and without 1.4 teleconverter instead of 2x converter and the 90 mm tamron macro lens which is close to 105 mm , and yes I do use the combination handheld with quite good results, up until this year I had to retire because of hip and back problems I took motor x photos for Quadriders s.a. ( rolly1@smugmug.com ) as a hobby not pro ,Destiny I was not saying you should get 70 to 200 I was looking for better 400 mm lens then that with 2x converter maybe I have to go back to other lens I was thinking about 300 f4 for robot ,someone in the club has one I will see if I can compare it 70 to 200 with 1.4, 50 to 500 would be more versatile ,people in the camera clubs I am in have black rapid and similar type straps they seem to like them a lot ,have not been able to come to grips with monopod the times I tried it , I have a few questions to ask the forum over time ,nadir problems and setting up my new computer that I am building to get best out of apg 3 and ptp 2 cheers rolly1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:45 pm 

rolly1 wrote:
50 to 500 would be more versatile ,

Take in account that 500mm definitely can´t be handled handheld. I guess around 1/1000 sec. might be a choice to get unblurred images with a D800 - using at least a good monopole . . . having some luck and plenty of training.

I´m afraid not much people even can imagine what it means using a 500mm lens in terms of aperture, DOF and exposure-times . . . =D ;)

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:26 am 

This image is one of the test images I shot inside the camera shop, full zoom across the other side of the very big shop, hand held.. I think the stabilising feature works really well considering I struggled to hold the camera and lens still... A Monopole or Tripod would be the best option for me.. This image has a slight blur to it.. It would normally be a lot better given time to set it up with the right ISO, shutter speed and f-stop.. and capture a few shots..

Destiny..

Attachments:
Sigma50-500mmD800.jpg
Sigma50-500mmD800.jpg [ 484.74 KiB | Viewed 785 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:21 pm 

Destiny its not easy testing lenses in shop that's not bad considering handheld etc ,the shop in Adelaide I go to let you go out side and try them ,you can also hire them for weekend and if you buy it they refund hire fee ,so you can have good look at them ,from what Klaus says 300 mm is optimum for robot ,70 to 200 + 1.4 = 280 mm or at 150 +2* converter = 300, 300 f4 ,150 to 500 or 50 to 500 both at 300 mm would be interesting test , prob go with you 50 to 500 useful for birds as well ,going for drive tomorrow will have a play let you know how I go cheers rolly1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 pm 

rolly1 wrote:
from what Klaus says 300 mm is optimum for robot ,

That was aimed at the Merlin! Destiny uses a Seitz VR Drive2 - this one can handle much more than 300mm regarding
weight and precision!

Klaus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 pm 

Klaus I was talking about my merlin and what lens I should use or get, to get the most out of it ,at the moment I use Nikon 70 to 200 vr1 2.8 with Kenko teleconverters 1.4 and 2* ,but looking at 50 to 500 to use on merlin to 300mm and then added versatility up to 500 mm for birds etc my interest is which combination would be sharpest at 300 mm for use on merlin ,I also added Nikon 300 f4 into the mix cheers rolly1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:44 pm 

Rolly1... I am eager to hear about your use of the 50-500mm... I was thinking of buying a monopole but the carbon fibre ones cost too much.. So I will just use my carbon fibre tripod which is light and then just put one leg extended, same thing in many ways.. I can then use all three legs if I want.. I will always have my Black Rapid camera strap on so no chance of it falling over.. eeeks.. Don't want that.. I will mount my ball head on top..

Destiny..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:44 am 

Destiny i am going to throw a curve ball in here if your going to use a support look at a gimbal head you can get some cheap ones on the net just a thought rolly1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:00 am 

Hey.. Don't you mean "Throw me a Boomerang.." hehe.. We are Aussies not Americans... ;)

I already have a Acratech GP ball head... I hardly ever use it.. I bought it when I was just starting to learn.. I wanted to create a full pano and thought it was the tool to buy.. It was a mistake really, I know that know.. I then bought the NN3 but Bill Bailey, the CEO of Nodal Ninja upgraded me to the NN4 since my NN3 had a few issues... I asked him about using the 50-500mm on my NN4 but its far too heavy.. He suggested the ULTIMATE M2 WITH RD8-II which is a beautiful pano head.. http://www.ipanoramic.com.au/shop/nodal ... rd8ii.html

I will see how I go with what I have... Thanks for the advice though.. Get out there and shoot some photos.. :)

Destiny...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:05 am 

Destiny wrote:
Hey.. Don't you mean "Throw me a Boomerang.." hehe.. We are Aussies not Americans... ;)

I already have a Acratech GP ball head... I hardly ever use it.. I bought it when I was just starting to learn.. I wanted to create a full pano and thought it was the tool to buy.. It was a mistake really, I know that know.. I then bought the NN3 but Bill Bailey, the CEO of Nodal Ninja upgraded me to the NN4 since my NN3 had a few issues... I asked him about using the 50-500mm on my NN4 but its far too heavy.. He suggested the ULTIMATE M2 WITH RD8-II which is a beautiful pano head.. http://www.ipanoramic.com.au/shop/nodal ... rd8ii.html

I will see how I go with what I have... Thanks for the advice though.. Get out there and shoot some photos.. :)

Destiny...

What about your VrDrive2? Why would you need a manual head for teles then? The VR2 i guess should eaysily take the 500mm
and provides XML - which in many cases will save your day . . . shooting with those long lenses)

Btw: a "Gimbal" head is very different drom a "Ball" head . . . ;)

Ball-head: http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=69
Gimbal-head: http://www.f-8andbethere.com/tips/BlackWidow.htm

Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:24 am 

Yes I now, but if I was going to do that, I would go for this.. http://www.photocontinental.com.au/prod ... 6357603000
Much cheaper option.. I could put my Rotor on too..

Sometimes I will setup my VR Drive, for mosaic images but mostly I just want to at this time shoot wildlife.. with some small pano shots.. say 5 images wide.. Set my camera to portrait.. After the rain, water falls spout out of the rocks.. I want to set a longer shutter speed to get that soft water flow look.. ;)

Being outside when I use it... I can lower the ISO and use a very low fstop for sharpness and DOF and set the shutter speed accordingly.. I would probably set the ISO to about 330 to 400.., since animals move..
When I am ready I will go to the Mount Coot Tha look out and the Botanical Garden for City during the day and night and the close-ups on flowers... The 50-500 is supposed to be able to it all.. We will see...

Destiny..

http://www.google.com.au/search?safe=ac ... B500%3B200

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:46 am 

Rolly1, if you do consider buying a Sigma 150-500 or a 50-500, just be aware that there are still the old versions on the market which had many issues, so they will be a lot cheaper.. Its not so apparent until you see close up photos or you get it in your hand.. The new Sigma's should have a nice smooth finish like a Nikon. Not as seen in these photos.. Kind of rough and apparently attached the dirt and dust.. They had zoom issues too..

I posted the New Sigma 50-500 at this link.. You can see its a much more beautiful finish... and they apparently resolved the zoom issue..
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18384&start=50#p128118

Destiny..

Attachments:
50-500-3.jpg
50-500-3.jpg [ 158.22 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]
50-500-2.jpg
50-500-2.jpg [ 65.85 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]
50-50-1.jpg
50-50-1.jpg [ 76.09 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:52 am 

I have found many camera shops selling strange looking Sigma 50-500mm lenses.. Not sure if they are fake or what... I guess the alarm bells need to ring when the price is much lower than the RRP.. This one here seems very odd.. Even the shoe is different.. Something seems dodgy about it.. There again, it might well be one of the first they made.. I cannot find the history of this lens..

http://www.digidirect.com.au/camera_len ... G+HSM+Lens

As far as I know, the lens in the images above are of the old Sigma 50-500mm, which had some issues and it did not have a stabilising system...

This lens here is most defiantly the most current, with better finish and a stabilising system.. You can see so much difference in the all three....

Destiny

Attachments:
sigma_50-500-1.jpg
sigma_50-500-1.jpg [ 89.07 KiB | Viewed 720 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 am 

The variation in prices is quite astonishing.... ebay is supposed to be cheap but I have not found its to be.. This lens is almost 3 times the price as it should be..

This one... $3,687 + Post which seems very dodgy since it weighs 4kg...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sigma-F4-6-3 ... %26ps%3D54

You will need rock in your head to buy that one.. at that price.. The price of the one I will be buying is $1,349 which is a good price from a reputable camera store....
http://www.photocontinental.com.au/prod ... 8002596241

Destiny...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:00 pm 

hi Destiny hope you had a good week , been a bit busy this week have not had time to reply yes the old model has same finish as my 80 to 400 had, really hard to clean ,price wise I use DDP as a price point then check local shops if the price is about the same I get it local ,DDP price is $1299 for Nikon mount plus postage so I would try local probably same price as you ,if not I get it from them cheers Rolly1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:40 pm 

Yes, DDP is quite good.. I have bought stuff from them before.. Free shipping too... I could save $50 by buying from them but for this item, I really wanted to see what I was buying.. I think I have worked out that there were three versions of this lens.. The first version was not the best so you can buy it quite cheap.. I have seen them for sale, just trying to get rid of their junk... The shoe was way different and the paint was like it was made from stone... The next version had a rather rough textured finish, not nice but the build looked the same as the new version, but it did not have a stabilising system... I do not think the fist lens has auto focus either... So not a great lens.. The all new 50-500mm is much better... The finish is very nice and the issues they had seemed to have been fixed.. It has Auto Focus, which some say is slow but I thought it was ok, and it has a stabilising system which has been given a great writeup in reviews.. Hand held I found it heavy but the stabilising system seemed to work well..

I thought you were going to hire one for the week end and show and tell how it performed.. I was looking forward to seeing the photos..

I just mounted my R16 Rotor on my Acratech GP ball head.. That should be good for us to use... The D800 has a digital levelling graphic which is really cool... So if I keep the camera level to the horizon, it should do ok for capturing a pano.. Just tile the ball to portrait.. I will also just use my tripod to mount it all on. Its light being made from carbon fibre...

I have read more reviews about the 50-500mm, the negatives are always the weight... They seem to compare a Nikon or Canon lens with it suggesting that the Canon was a little sharper but it cost twice as much.. I am sure I can fix most issues in Photoshop...

The lens comes with a 2 year Aussie warranty so it should be fine.. Let you know...

Destiny...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next