Best method using a monopod and the Nikkor 10.5 mm ?  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
Alain
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am

Best method using a monopod and the Nikkor 10.5 mm ?

by Alain » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 am

Hi

What method/pattern do you use if you have a monopod using the Nikkor 10.5 mm ?

I use this on top of the monopod: http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/nodal-ninja-ultimate-r1-with-r-d5-rotator.html
I do the method of Klaus, pitch -15° to reduce the nadirhole.
But rotating 90° up for the zenith does not work correctly because it does not rotate around the nodalpoint. I always get bad stitching results that way.

Maybe I missed some basics ?
I've reading about the Sigma 8mm in slant modus which only uses 4 images for a full spherical pano.
Maybe the Nikkor 10.5 was the wrong decision ?

I've a Nikon D5100.

Kind regards
Alain

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Alain wrote:Hi

What method/pattern do you use if you have a monopod using the Nikkor 10.5 mm ?

I use this on top of the monopod: http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/nodal-ninja-ultimate-r1-with-r-d5-rotator.html
I do the method of Klaus, pitch -15° to reduce the nadirhole.
But rotating 90° up for the zenith does not work correctly because it does not rotate around the nodalpoint. I always get bad stitching results that way.

Maybe I missed some basics ?
I've reading about the Sigma 8mm in slant modus which only uses 4 images for a full spherical pano.
Maybe the Nikkor 10.5 was the wrong decision ?

I've a Nikon D5100.

Kind regards
Alain

Hi Alain!

-15° is a bit much for the 10,5mm. 12° works better. But you´re right: tilting to 90° on this device to my knowledge might bring the lens off the NPP
I wouldn´t use it.

I had me made a very simple aluminium L-Bracket on which the camera can only look fixed to -12° and to 90° without
leaving the NPP at all.

It´s just a click-screw (don´t know the word in English) on the top of the L which gives the two positions. The cost for the L-bracket was about 50.-€.

It can be rotatet 180° for doing a straight down-look shot for Nadir.

best, Klaus


Last edited by klausesser on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Alain
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am

by Alain » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Thank you Klaus !

The conclusion is that, in combination with the Nikkor 10.5mm, I better use my "Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16" on my monopad instead of the "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1".
Otherwise it's impossible to do good spherical panoramas with a "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" in combination with a Nikkor 10.5mm lense.
Why nobody of Kolor leaves any hint to this in the onlinestore ?
I also don't see any useful point why the pitch mechanism of the "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" does not rotate around the nodalpoint, for me this looks like the engineers of Kolor did not think the hole product to the end.

Please correct me somebody if I'm wrong.

Kind regards
Alain

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Alain wrote:I also don't see any useful point why the pitch mechanism of the "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" does not rotate around the nodalpoint, for me this looks like the engineers of Kolor did not think the hole product to the end.

I also don´t understand this construction not to rotate the camera vertically while keeping the NPP.

Maybe there´s a gap to Zenith when you use -15° with the 10,5mm. Try -12° or -10°. The Nadir hole still will be very small.
Maybe the Zenith matches better then though it´s off the NPP.

best, Klaus

Besides: i think the 10,5mm is the better way. You´re faster but loose plenty of resolution using an 8mm instead.
Last edited by klausesser on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
Alain
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am

by Alain » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Okey, maybe some of the Kolor guys can explain me their productionconstruction ;-)

I'll keep my 10.5mm but I guess I will sell my "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" because it seems useless to me.

Kind regards
Alain

User avatar
gkaefer
Member
 
Posts: 3355
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm
Location: Salzburg

by gkaefer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:12 am

Alain wrote:(...) for me this looks like the engineers of Kolor did not think the hole product to the end.

Please correct me somebody if I'm wrong.

Kind regards
Alain

I dont think the product was engineered by Kolor:
http://www.nodalninja.com/

no avatar
Alain
Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 am

by Alain » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Ah sorry, thanks for the hint ;-)

Kind regards
Alain

no avatar
akphoto
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Russia

by akphoto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Alain wrote:Hi

What method/pattern do you use if you have a monopod using the Nikkor 10.5 mm ?

I use this on top of the monopod: http://www.kolor.com/buy/photo-hardware/nodal-ninja-ultimate-r1-with-r-d5-rotator.html
I do the method of Klaus, pitch -15° to reduce the nadirhole.
But rotating 90° up for the zenith does not work correctly because it does not rotate around the nodalpoint. I always get bad stitching results that way.

Maybe I missed some basics ?
I've reading about the Sigma 8mm in slant modus which only uses 4 images for a full spherical pano.
Maybe the Nikkor 10.5 was the wrong decision ?

I've a Nikon D5100.

Kind regards
Alain

I have "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" too. Initially had the same problem. But now, rotating the camera 90 ° (zenith) I'm doing 3-5 extra frames instead of one. Now everything is fine...
http://www.kopachev.com/football/pano360.html
http://kopachev.com/2013/journ.msu/pano.html

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:55 pm

akphoto wrote:I have "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" too. Initially had the same problem. But now, rotating the camera 90 ° (zenith) I'm doing 3-5 extra frames instead of one. Now everything is fine...

but then: where´s an advantage over the "traditional way" making 6+Z+N with a 10.5mm Nikon?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
akphoto
Member
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Russia

by akphoto » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:00 am

klausesser wrote:
akphoto wrote:I have "Nodal Ninja Ultimate R1" too. Initially had the same problem. But now, rotating the camera 90 ° (zenith) I'm doing 3-5 extra frames instead of one. Now everything is fine...

but then: where´s an advantage over the "traditional way" making 6+Z+N with a 10.5mm Nikon?

best, Klaus

Maybe you're right. But the "traditional way" - 6+Z+N is not a panacea. I shoot on Canon 5D and 15/2.8 Fisheye. Moreover, the rotator of the horizon is no 6, and 8 frames. And I quite happy.
Last edited by akphoto on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser
Member
 
Posts: 7858
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Duesseldorf, Germany

by klausesser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 pm

akphoto wrote:the rotator of the horizon is no 6, and 8 frames.

?? i don´t understand, sorry!?

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel


Return to Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests