Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 pm 

Hi folks,

I am about to get into this world of the virtual tour, so, I am choosing the right gear. Canon 5D Mark IIi, Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16, Autopano Pro 3 + Panotour 1.8, but what lens? Canon Fisheye 15mm or the zoom 8-15mm? Which one would be the perfect one?

Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm 

joasphoto wrote:
Hi folks,

I am about to get into this world of the virtual tour, so, I am choosing the right gear. Canon 5D Mark IIi, Nodal Ninja 4 R-D16, Autopano Pro 3 + Panotour 1.8, but what lens? Canon Fisheye 15mm or the zoom 8-15mm? Which one would be the perfect one?

Thanks for your help!

Using a 5D2 (i?? - -never heard of) in my eyes it´s wise to use the 15mm. If you KNOW you will use it with only 4 shots for being very quick take the 8 - 15mm. You need - as said - only 4 shots to cover a sphere, but you loose resolution.
So i wouldn´t do that.
Using the 15mm you anyway need only 6 shots when you make 5@-12° + Z. I don´t know whether the NN provides a click-stop for that. So the difference in speed is not remarkable. The difference in resolution is!

I use 5@-12° + Z all the time. here´s an example: www.360impressions.de/LiR_FE_Oben (a test-shot in a very narrow space)

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 pm 

any difference in judgement if he meant 5DMark "3" ?
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
any difference in judgement if he meant 5DMark "3" ?
Georg

Not at all . . . :D (now i got it :cool:)

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm 

joasphoto wrote:
Hi folks,

Thanks for your help!

I think you may wfind you want Panotour Pro 1.8. The Pro version allows production of iDevice compatible tours as well as Flash tours and has other features too.

And if for any reason you want masking in the stitcher then you'll want to go for Autopano Giga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:55 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Using a 5D2 (i?? - -never heard of) in my eyes it´s wise to use the 15mm. If you KNOW you will use it with only 4 shots for being very quick take the 8 - 15mm. You need - as said - only 4 shots to cover a sphere, but you loose resolution.
So i wouldn´t do that.
Using the 15mm you anyway need only 6 shots when you make 5@-12° + Z. I don´t know whether the NN provides a click-stop for that. So the difference in speed is not remarkable. The difference in resolution is!

I use 5@-12° + Z all the time. here´s an example: www.360impressions.de/LiR_FE_Oben (a test-shot in a very narrow space)

best, Klaus

Two comments:

1. Why do your prefer the Canon 15mm FE over the newer Canon 8-15mm zoom FE which would seem to be a more flexible option.

2. I had read that the Canon 15mm fisheye is very hard to fidn these days as it was discontinued by Canon some time ago. Or am I mistaken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm 

mediavets wrote:
klausesser wrote:
So i wouldn´t do that.

best, Klaus

Two comments:

1. Why do your prefer the Canon 15mm FE over the newer Canon 8-15mm zoom FE which would seem to be a more flexible option.

2. I had read that the Canon 15mm fisheye is very hard to fidn these days as it was discontinued by Canon some time ago. Or am I mistaken?

1) i don´t need 8mm on fullframe. It saves TWO shots - but it costs resolution by only covering a fraction of the format due to being circular.

2) Right, Canon stopped the production of the 2,8/15mm FE - but you can get it still, and at a remarkable lower price than the 4/8-15mm, which is around 1200.-€.

Btw.: i find 1:2,8 preferable compared to 1:4. Using a fisheye you can shoot max. wide open and have reasonable DOF nevertheless.
It´s a very sharp lens - i do lots of work with it.

best, Klaus

PS: the 8-15mm is clever when you work with FX and DX cameras. Here you have FOUR FE functions. FF on FF, FF on DX, circular on FX and almost-circular on DX.

Last edited by klausesser on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 pm 

Hey Klaus, I just picked up the 15mm 2.8, just wondered if you've discovered a sweet spot in terms of aperture for max dof/sharpness?
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm 

oreo5000 wrote:
Hey Klaus, I just picked up the 15mm 2.8, just wondered if you've discovered a sweet spot in terms of aperture for max dof/sharpness?
Thanks

I usually use f8.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:07 pm 

Thanks, and where do you place focus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 am 

oreo5000 wrote:
Thanks, and where do you place focus?

Depends on what i shoot, of course . . ;)

In large rooms and outdoors i usually use the right end of the infinity mark. Then it´s sharp from about 2m - infinity @f8 0r f11.
Ptreferably use the live-view to check whether your main-object is sharp.

No general rules.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.