Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Lens to Virtual Tour
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:55 pm 

Hello,

I have two cameras available: Pentax K-5 II (mine) and Nikon D7000 (from my brother). I've a virtual tour work to do in an restaurant with 8 panos. Will be my first work and I plan to invest in tools to get more work in the future. Software: Autopano Giga 3.0 and Panotour Pro 1.8 (2.0).

Que questions:
- Any of this cameras are good to do the job, right? And about lens? I just have prime lenses (50mm or 21mm) or legacy zooms. Thinking in using the Pentax and buy the Sigma EX 15mm f/2,8 DG Fisheye (here). Opinions?

Many thanks,
Vitor

Post subject: Re: Lens to Virtual Tour
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:00 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
Hello,

I have two cameras available: Pentax K-5 II (mine) and Nikon D7000 (from my brother). I've a virtual tour work to do in an restaurant with 8 panos. Will be my first work and I plan to invest in tools to get more work in the future. Software: Autopano Giga 3.0 and Panotour Pro 1.8 (2.0).

Que questions:
- Any of this cameras are good to do the job, right? And about lens? I just have prime lenses (50mm or 21mm) or legacy zooms. Thinking in using the Pentax and buy the Sigma EX 15mm f/2,8 DG Fisheye (here). Opinions?

Many thanks,
Vitor

No problem with the cameras but that is the 'wrong' lens for cropped sensor bodies; the 15mm fisheye (FE) is intended for fullframe sensor bodies.

You should look to the Sigma 10mm f2.8 FE or the fully manual Samyang 8mm f3.5 for the Pentax K-5 II

Or Nikkor/Nikon 10.5mm FE or Samyang 8mm f3.5 with chip for Nikon 7000.

You'll also need a proper pano head - look at Nodal Ninja models, they are very popular and well designed and made.

And a good tripod.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm 

mediavets wrote:
vitoreis wrote:
Hello,

Que questions:

Many thanks,
Vitor

No problem with the cameras but that is the 'wrong' lens for cropped sensor bodies; the 15mm fisheye (FE) is intended for fullframe sensor bodies.

You should look to the Sigma 10mm f2.8 FE or the fully manual Samyang 8mm f3.5 for the Pentax K-5 II

You'll also need a proper pano head - look at Nodal Ninja models, they are very popular and well designed and made.

And a good tripod.

Thanks mediavets, i go to the Nikon 10.5mm FE!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:09 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
mediavets wrote:
vitoreis wrote:
Hello,

Que questions:

Many thanks,
Vitor

And a good tripod.

Thanks mediavets, i go to the Nikon 10.5mm FE!

OK, it's an excellent lens and relatively good value - although the Pentax offers more extensive AEB capabilities.

http://www.hdr-photography.com/aeb.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm 

mediavets wrote:
- although the Pentax offers more extensive AEB capabilities.

Right - but if you need more bracketing features than Nikon provides: there´s PromoteControl.
Somewhat expensive, but extremely valuable.

I use it again since i switched from Canon 5D2 to Nikon D800. Unfortunately there´s
no MagicLantern for Nikons. Hope, this will change some day - the D800 is an extraordinary
fine camera for the money.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:10 pm 

mediavets wrote:
OK, it's an excellent lens and relatively good value - although the Pentax offers more extensive AEB capabilities.

mediavets, can you elaborate? Because I choose this lens reading some opinions about the available lenses, but I feel that you telling that I can get some quality with the Pentax and (maybe) the Samyang 8mm?

Question is: as I'm starting with virtual tours now, I still don't know all the tricks about the technique associated with this type of photography. I presume that to get the best image quality I need to get the maximum EV range possible, correct? And then "join" as any HDR. Is that?

Many thanks,
Vitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:11 pm 

klausesser wrote:
Right - but if you need more bracketing features than Nikon provides: there´s PromoteControl.

I use it again since i switched from Canon 5D2 to Nikon D800. Unfortunately there´s
no MagicLantern for Nikons. Hope, this will change some day - the D800 is an extraordinary

best, Klaus

Klaus, sorry for this question but what is PromoteControl?

Thanks,
Vitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:46 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
klausesser wrote:

best, Klaus

Klaus, sorry for this question but what is PromoteControl?

Thanks,
Vitor

This is: http://www.promotesystems.com/products/ ... ntrol.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 pm 

mediavets wrote:

Thanks, and about the upper question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:11 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
mediavets wrote:

mediavets, can you elaborate? Because I choose this lens reading some opinions about the available lenses, but I feel that you telling that I can get some quality with the Pentax and (maybe) the Samyang 8mm?

Question is: as I'm starting with virtual tours now, I still don't know all the tricks about the technique associated with this type of photography. I presume that to get the best image quality I need to get the maximum EV range possible, correct? And then "join" as any HDR. Is that?

Many thanks,
Vitor

If you are planning to shoot interior panos and I think you are then it's often te case that the dynamic range presented by the scene exceeds the limits of a single exposure setting for all images in the pano, so people shoot bracketed exposures which they later combine with exposure fusion/HDR software either using APG's built-in capabilities or more often before stitching using third-partuy software.

However the dynamic range presented by many spherical scenes also exceeds the AEB capability of most cameras.

The Pentax has a more 'extensive' AEB capability than many other cameras including the D7000.

Amongst other features, the Promote Control allows a much more extensive bracketed exposures to be shot using cameras with more limited, or even no, AEB capability.

Has this answered your question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Thanks, and about the upper question?

Please let me add a note to what Andrew said already:

There are less expensive fisheyes than the Nikon 10,5mm.

But you should take in account to need SOME editing to get good images from them -
regarding CAs (chromatic abberations=red, green or blue rims on contrasty parts in the image)
or somewhat non-continuously behaving distortions or off-centering.

The 10,5mm Nikon FE isn´t the best of all fisheyes - but after some testing i found it´s very good
and definitely better than the cheaper ones. That´s my personal finding and opinion.

Another point is: avoid to "save shots). Using an 8mm circular fisheye you can save about two shots compared
to a 10,5mm fullframe fisheye on a DX camera.
But you loose more on image-quality than you win time-wise by saving two shots.

I guess your Pentax is a DX? The D7000 is one afaik.

So better use a fullframe-fisheye - 10,5mm fisheye on DX or a 15/16mm fisheye on FX. It pays in the end in terms of image-quality and zoomrange.

best, Klaus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

Thanks both, mediavets and Klaus! Great help here!

Other question, not related with lens but about nodal ninja: there are a notorious price difference between Nodal Ninja 4 and Nodal Ninja 3. Any of you have experience with this two pano heads? The higher price of Ninja 4 is justified when we are working in field?

Regards,
Vitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:39 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
Thanks both, mediavets and Klaus! Great help here!

Other question, not related with lens but about nodal ninja: there are a notorious price difference between Nodal Ninja 4 and Nodal Ninja 3. Any of you have experience with this two pano heads? The higher price of Ninja 4 is justified when we are working in field?

Regards,
Vitor

I have a Nodal Ninja 4 with R-D16 rotator (and a 5L with standard/basic rotator, and a U-R10) but have never used a Nodal Ninja 3.

The NN4 is somewhat better engineered than the NN3 and has 15 degree locks increments on the pitch axis, which may be a slight advantage.

You may also wish to purchase the Nadir Adapter for either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:42 pm 

klausesser wrote:

Please let me add a note to what Andrew said already:

There are less expensive fisheyes than the Nikon 10,5mm.

But you should take in account to need SOME editing to get good images from them -
regarding CAs (chromatic abberations=red, green or blue rims on contrasty parts in the image)
or somewhat non-continuously behaving distortions or off-centering.

The 10,5mm Nikon FE isn´t the best of all fisheyes - but after some testing i found it´s very good
and definitely better than the cheaper ones. That´s my personal finding and opinion.

Another point is: avoid to "save shots). Using an 8mm circular fisheye you can save about two shots compared
to a 10,5mm fullframe fisheye on a DX camera.
But you loose more on image-quality than you win time-wise by saving two shots.

I guess your Pentax is a DX? The D7000 is one afaik.

So better use a fullframe-fisheye - 10,5mm fisheye on DX or a 15/16mm fisheye on FX. It pays in the end in terms of image-quality and zoomrange.

best, Klaus

Sorry for get back to this topic, you (and mediavets) give a great help but I'm find another option to use with my Pentax: SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED (€ 489). It's an 180-degree diagonal FOV. It's more comfortable to me if I can use my camera instead of asking to others - there are any real problem, just my preference.
I'm doing some tests with an wide angle lens (DA 21mm F3.2), 5 bracketing exposures per "angle" and get promising results. With the fisheye the process will be much more efficient!

Question is: can I get top results in terms of image quality with my Pentax (or with the new K-3)? If the nikon optics are really much better I'm considering to go to the Nikkor 10,5mm with a new 7100 attached insted of the K-3 :) Any of you know this DA 10-17mm?

Thanks again,
Vitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:00 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
I'm find another option to use with my Pentax: SMC DA 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED (€ 489). It's an 180-degree diagonal FOV. It's more comfortable to me if I can use my camera instead of asking to others - there are any real problem, just my preference.
I'm doing some tests with an wide angle lens (DA 21mm F3.2), 5 bracketing exposures per "angle" and get promising results. With the fisheye the process will be much more efficient!

Question is: can I get top results in terms of image quality with my Pentax (or with the new K-3)? If the nikon optics are really much better I'm considering to go to the Nikkor 10,5mm with a new 7100 attached insted of the K-3 :) Any of you know this DA 10-17mm?

Thanks again,
Vitor

You should be able to get good results with that and your Pentax, if you correct the CA, but this report also mentions a lot of purple fringing:

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/132-pent ... est-report

That lens is also sold with Tokina branding with either Canon or Nikon mounts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm 

mediavets wrote:
You should be able to get good results with that and your Pentax, if you correct the CA, but this report also mentions a lot of purple fringing:

Very bad results on that review =(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:38 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
mediavets wrote:

There are only very few real good fisheyes on the market. I suggest to stick with the brands which have long experiences in designing and producing good optics.
And here are Nikon and Canon dominant as long-time producers of very good fisheyes. The 2,8/16mm Nikon fisheye in my eyes is one of the best - and the Canon 2,8/15mm fisheye aso is excellent and i use it for about 5 years now (out of production, but you might find it for a good price still). The newer Canon 4/8-15mm fisheye i was told to be excellent - but somewhat expensive for a user who just needs it as a 15mm fullframe fisheye. I woudn´t buy it.

Regarding 1,5 crop in my eyes the Nikon 2,8/10,5mm fisheye is the best choice.

Basically i reject the use of circular fisheyes - 8 or 10,5mm on fullframe and 6 or 8mm on crop - because the massive loss on image-quality never can be justified by saving just two or three shots for a sphere. But that´s an individual choice of course.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:46 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
mediavets wrote:

Others have used it successfully - maybe it was poor example?

Anyway did you consider Sigma 10mm f2.8 FE lens for your Pentax?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 pm 

Yes, I read a small but interesting review of it:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma ... view-13543

But can find more opinions about it... Seems to be a valid option!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:00 pm 

vitoreis wrote:
Yes, I read a small but interesting review of it:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma ... view-13543

But can find more opinions about it... Seems to be a valid option!

A few more opinions.