Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:02 am 

Can anybody help me with SW configuration ?

99% of my spherical panoramas is from 288 shots in 3 layers (Because of bracketing)
Sometimes i make gigapans cca 1000-2000 shots i one layer (technical detail panorama)
Every picture has 16Mpix JPEG.

Now i have machine with this configuration:

Dell Studio XPS with
i7 920 CPU
24GB RAM
1x Faster SSD 128 GB (LTN named, cca 400MB/s read/write)
1x Slower SSD 128 GB (SAM named, cca 280 MB/s read/write)
2x Seagate 1.5 TB 7200rpm (STRIP named, total 2.8GB in RAID0)

I know that best configuration is for every task single drive (source files drive, destination files drive, APG temporary drive, swapfile drive... etc) but i have not more harware and money for it.
Question where install OS, where setup swapfile, where setup source and destination files etc....

With my knowledge i think the best setup is:

STRIP - Windows 7 and source and destination files (startup of Windows and apps is not interessant for me)
SAM - Windows SWAPFILE + Secondary APG working dir (if 1st working dir is full)
LTN - Primary APG working directory

Anybody has better idea ? I thing all people here has more knowledge and experience to correct me...
Thanks Marek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:50 am 

an OS I would never place on a RAID 0. one disc failing and you've a lot of overtime.
so maybe a RAID 1 for the OS.

Georg

PS: I have a Dell XPS and it comes by default with a RAID 0. I've noe clue what I did finally to succeed, I only remember that it took some time inclusive fresh install of win7 to succeed. ah... my XPS 8100 is limited to 16GB, which one doess allow 24GB?

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:57 pm 

Hello Georg (gkaefer), thanks for reply !

I agree raid 0 weakness, if one hdd dies, system crashed and source/destination files is died too (system doesnt matters). I use my QNAP with RAID1 only for backup final panoramas.
Maybe i have only one different way, use drives now in raid 0 sepparately, one for source files and second for destination files and OS, but i think performance will go down.
Do You have any other ideas to improve my actual system configuration for better performance ?

P.S: My Studio XPS 435 MT Allows 24GB RAM (6 times 4GB RAM at 1333MHz, originally 6times 1gig at 1066).

Marek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm 

Today after memory upgrade (to 32GB RAM) I change my HW and SW strategy:

Who wants to do gigapanormas need invest money:

1.) Fastest CPU as is possible
2.) Sufficeint very fast disk drive for APG working directory and source files (in my case minimum is 256GB fast SSD drive, better is 400GB)
3.) All remaining money invest to memory.
4.) In my case GPU doesnt help absolutely in any way (Radeon HD 4850 with original Dell drivers and Yesterday upgraded drivers to latest from AMD - in all cases APG sucsess the render test in APG configuration)

Little adujst in my setup... Moved source files to fast SSD drive.

Tested on APG 3.0.0 Beta 1, 703 images, 16Mpix every picture.

P.S. To Georg: Dell Studio XPS 435MT is possible to upgrade up to 48GB RAM at 1333MHz, latency depend on memory modules, in my case 6-6-6-18 when used tis memory:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/detail.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=239&id=1279&type=1

Marek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 pm 

Hi Marek,

Long time ago, with help of some friends here I wrote a formula which allows you based on the size of you panoramas to estimated how big a machine you need and how it will behave.

See http://www.kolor.com/forum/p87033-2011-08-11-11-53-58#p87033

One thing I learned is that it is really important that you are able to add more and more memory. So make sure your motherboard can have a lot of these lovely memory banks!!!!!

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:02 pm 

Thanks Hans !!!

I propably upgrade my machine as soon as possible to Dell Precision T5600.
Now, after memory upgrade at my old machine up to 32GB RAM I am little bit confused about Control point editor performace.
Anybody knows what affect performance of Control point calculation ?
I am working with panorama from 73 pictures, RAM is used only from 50%, CPU is used at 12%, Harddrives is near sleepng, but Panorama optimizing, picture analisys, anything about control points takes very long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 am 

Ooops :DI better reinstall my OS/Apps from my 8x Stripe SSD array :-) sorry couldn't help my self

OS and APPS can always be reinstalled on either single, stripe or mirror, but its your data that you really have to worry about, though all my Arrays on my workstation is RAID-0 Stripe, i back up to an external unit Synology 1812+ 8x 3TB RAID-6/Synology RAID-6 + this will also be backed up to individual drives. I start by copying my RAW files first to the Synology, and then to the work station, I then work on the files on the work stations with all WIP gets copied to the Synology.

but to answer the OP then you will find that because you are making large pano's you will almost always hit your scratch disk... for your setup there isn't any BEST setup, they will all be compromises.

BOOT disk will be your fastest SSD, your scratch disk should be your other SSD and your data on your HDD's mirror them if you do not have a backup plan

Hope this helps

Henrik

PS: despite my 20+ SSD's its across 3 raid controllers its still not optimal, but it does help when you push 1-2+GB/s :-)

gkaefer wrote:
an OS I would never place on a RAID 0. one disc failing and you've a lot of overtime.
so maybe a RAID 1 for the OS.

Georg

PS: I have a Dell XPS and it comes by default with a RAID 0. I've noe clue what I did finally to succeed, I only remember that it took some time inclusive fresh install of win7 to succeed. ah... my XPS 8100 is limited to 16GB, which one doess allow 24GB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:20 am 

marek.garamszegi wrote:
Thanks Hans !!!

I am working with panorama from 73 pictures, RAM is used only from 50%, CPU is used at 12%, Harddrives is near sleepng, but Panorama optimizing, picture analisys, anything about control points takes very long.

-So you have more then enough RAM for such panorama.
-Some parts of the APP/APG programm use only one core, seems like you have 8 (virtual) cores. Using multipe cores is not always possible to programm.
-It is good if harddrive is doing little, means everything is done in RAM or SSD. I hope that when loading first time the harddrive is fast enough.

How much IO do you see for the SSD's?

I guess all you can do is think about whether you really need more speed and if you want to play around with the settings of your cpu. Maybe start with downloading realtemp to see what the temperature is doing and whether the multiplier of your CPU is throttled down because of high temps. Or check to see if you OS is doing energy saving mode.

I stitch and render for other photographers. Price: 25 euro or less, no cure no pay. If you want to concentrate on your business let me do the stitching for you. Free TB of Dropbox space when you have more then 250 euro business a year.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.