Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:53 pm 

hi

in this moment i'm using a canon 60D , with a samyang 8mm fisheye ...

i'm looking for a professional lens so i'm thinking to buy this godly canon ef 8-15 f/4L fisheye (i found a price ~ 1300-1500€ -.- ) , it's a good choice for my camera?

i saw that this lens is compatible with full frame and dslr camera ... so if i decide in the future to change the body camera to a full frame i can still use this lens :)

let me know your opinions , thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

Aperol wrote:
hi

in this moment i'm using a canon 60D , with a samyang 8mm fisheye ...

i'm looking for a professional lens so i'm thinking to buy this godly canon ef 8-15 f/4L fisheye (i found a price ~ 1300-1500€ -.- ) , it's a good choice for my camera?

i saw that this lens is compatible with full frame and dslr camera ... so if i decide in the future to change the body camera to a full frame i can still use this lens :)

let me know your opinions , thanks!

I guess you can very well use it on your camera. @10,5mm it takes you 6+1 shot for a full sphere having around 5000px width in an equirectangular image.
You also can use it with 8mm for lesser images - but also lesser resolution.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
Eh Klaus, 18 x 6 = 96 Mpixel....-25%=72 Mpixel and a 2:1 ratio is 12.000 x 6.000 (more or less)....what am I missing here......btw, the 60D isn't full frame so on a full fram you get a circular view..a round picture in a see of black.....a waste of pixels so to speak.

http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/canon/

Greets, Ed.

I remembered the numbers from using a 10,6mm Nikon FE on a 1,6 crop Canon 20D.
I used to render my equis as 5000x2500px rectangulars then. Don´t have in mind what the native resolution was.

My 5D2 with the 15mm gives me about 15000x7500px - but i use 10000x5000px for avarage spheres in tours (when highres is obsolete).

For spheres like this ones: http://koebogen.info/ko-bogen-total-360/ i use 35mm and 85mm.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
so on a full fram you get a circular view..a round picture in a see of black.....a waste of pixels so to speak.

http://www.vrwave.com/panoramic-lens-database/canon/

Greets, Ed.

At 15mm it will be a fullframe fisheye on a fullframe sensor; the image will cover the entire sensor.

Last edited by mediavets on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
@Klaus.......8.2 Mpixel x 6 = 49.2 Mpixel........- 25% = 37.9 around 8500 x 4250 would come close......btw, what is your shooting pattern for a sphere using the 85......

Greetings, Ed...

8,2MPx x 7 (6+1) @25%, Ed! :cool:

My Panoneed handheld-controller calculates the "pattern" in real-time and can export it as XML for APG.

The pattern it calculates in real-time basing on the values for focal-length and sensor-size - and the information about
what the shooting is like: Sphere, Angle or Mosaic.

So each possible combination of lenses and cameras will be calculated in real-time. I can run the head without camera and it generates an XML
to feed APG with. Given i always use the same way to fix the camera on the head - which i do of course - it works fine when i each time use the
same XML.

best, Klaus

P. S.: if you´re interested i can post the XML from the 85mm here!

Last edited by klausesser on Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:07 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
But tomorrow (eclectic mindset up -> tomorrow, tomorrow clears away the cobwebs, and the sorrow <- eclectic mindset down) I will take it back to the local shop were it came from and it will take a hike via Poland back to Korea and a new one will travel the opposite route......I want my lenses to be equally sharp in all 4 corners of the hemisphere.....I'm kind of incisting (but as you will see not relying) on that.

Ed - photographer´s cook-book: many resp. almost all lenses have their best performance @f8/11.
Fisheyes definitely profit from f8. The biggest problem are CAs.

My advise to users looking for good fisheyes: Canon 2,8/15mm and it´s successor, the 4/8-15mm on DX/FX and Nikon 2,8/10,5mm for DX (resp. FX when in shaved mode) and definitely the 2,8/16mm . . which is an excellent FX fisheye-lens.

I tried other brands also . . .

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
But believe it or not, not all lenses are build equal.

Really?? :cool: WHAT a surprise . . . :D

Artisan S. wrote:
A small assembly error (a glued element with a slight misallignment can cause this uneven performance) that is suspected no even expected to be a one off (a Nikon lens was returned to Nikon back in the 70 ties by my dad for the same reason and Nikon send an excuse me note when they returned it fixed).

If the lens didn't perform well in all four corners that would be a design issue (nice expensive once were made by the company that created the somewhat to aspherical mirror of the Hubble).....if it does not perform well in two of the four corners it's a manufacturing issue, that much about optics I do know. A lens ellement not alligned can cause this kind of trouble.

Let me take it this way: in about 40 years of experiences as a professional photographer (fashion and advertising) i learned to buy only from brands i trust by experiences :cool: - mine and other pro´s experiences.

I learnd to know some good lenses from Sigma and Tamron - but i also experienced rather mediocre ones.

I never was disappointed by Nikon- and Leica with 35mm, Zeiss with MF and with large-format Schneider-, Rodenstock-, Fuji- and Nikon-lenses-

So guess there´s something like continuity and reliability with "some" brands more than others - of course it has a price.

Nevertheless: what i said about apertures and sharpness is true :cool: - but you needn´t believe it of course . .

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
With all due respect Klaus, in this particular case, that is nonsence...in general you are right of course but about this lens you are dead wrong....it can perform at 3.5 (no flare etc.) but it needs an even performance.....and it sure can have that.....(i've seen the shots and read the tests, I'm no beginner, by now means Klaus) and in the CA department, rest asured it should not have any (according to both Polish lenstip and this German review)

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/714-samyang7535?start=1

Now having raid that (and seen the accompying test shots and analised them thouroughly) I bought the lens. But believe it or not, not all lenses are build equal. A small assembly error (a glued element with a slight misallignment can cause this uneven performance) that is suspected no even expected to be a one off (a Nikon lens was returned to Nikon back in the 70 ties by my dad for the same reason and Nikon send an excuse me note when they returned it fixed).

If the lens didn't perform well in all four corners that would be a design issue (nice expensive once were made by the company that created the somewhat to aspherical mirror of the Hubble).....if it does not perform well in two of the four corners it's a manufacturing issue, that much about optics I do know. A lens ellement not alligned can cause this kind of trouble.

Greets, Ed (no hard feelings by the way Klaus).

And just for fun.....two picture taken from the same position lens at infinity and aperture 5.6.......the only difference was the camera was mounted upside down on the first and downside up on the second image......now if you want to address that with aperture Klaus, I wish you all the luck in the world :).

3-4 steps closed the field is more even than wider open. I didn´t deal with theories for years and am somewhat short of time - guess somebody will explain it more detailed.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 am 

Artisan S. wrote:
You don´t seem to be able to get the point that I get your point but your point is pointless in this.....Klaus.....but hey why should I waste time trying to explain this to you.....when I can save my breath and explain that to the camera dealer which sold me the lens, your reaction has convinced me of the fact that he also might need some convincing (therefore and only therefore it was appreciated).

BTW, read this Klaus,

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/10/notes-on-lens-and-camera-variation

especially the part about the failed lens....accidents do happen.....even to the best Klaus.

But tomorrow (before I return the lens) I will make a series of all apertures upside down and downside up.....just to bug you a bit in a freindly way since I don't only believe you that stopping down reduces lens abberations, I even (sitdown Klaus and hold your breath) know so for a fact....and to emperically (and that is the only proof that counts as Mr. Thomas Hume allready proved when he beat the living daylight out of Decartes lifework) prove that you are correct (falcification of the theory in best Popperian way). I then will make prints and take these with me (to the photoshop that sold me the lens).....and when I recieve a new copy of the same lens (or my repaired copy) I will methodically repeat the procedure (to assure that this one is a working copy). Now to be sure that a slanted bayonet in my camera (which would also explain this behaviour) is no the culprit I will make a testshot on a G3 and another GF1 as well at base aperture of cause since I want to provoke the issue in this case.

Greets, Ed.

Ok, Ed. Let´s forget it.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:08 am 

Artisan S. wrote:
BTW, I uploaded the image in sequence but somehow the forum software does not understand the meaning of the word sequence :) so ill make a combi photo......will be added soon, just sit back, relax and enjoy the sunshine!

Uploaded images are displayed in the sort order of their filenames.

So if you prefix the names with numbers you can determnine the order in which they are displayed.

Last edited by mediavets on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:09 am 

Artisan S. wrote:
. . . but the problem shouldn't be there in th first place.

Right. That´s what it looks using a 35 years old Nikon 35mm AIs: www.360impressions.de/Strasse zoom in (about 640MPx)
And that´s what it looks using a Canon 15mm FE: www.360impressions.de/GrecoPan (50MPx) - we produced it for "Spiegel", iPad/Android app.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 pm 

Artisan S. wrote:
BTW, I hope the Kunsthalle uses a little bit more light at the Gursky show.......upcoming......nice.....

Greets, Ed.

"Kunsthalle" is a different location, Ed! :cool:
The Greco-exhibition was at "Museum Kunstpalast" http://www.smkp.de/

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:54 am 

can u sent me some panogear and epic pro row images for comparing before purchasing equipment
my mail id is cmhabil@gmail.com