Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 am 

Hi..

I thought it would be nice for those who own or are thinking of owning a D800, and or, a VR Drive II to share ideas and projects. Also to share information on which lenses you are using.

When I first took my D800 out of the box I think next door could have heard my heart pounding and when I attached my new Nikon 14-24 to it then felt the weight, oh wow, what a BEAST!!...:D:D I slipped my 16 GIG SanDisk Extreme with 30m/s into the slot and tested the first shot. The shutter sounds like it is built like a tank… :D

I soon realise I needed more memory; so today I ordered the SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro Compact Flash 90MB-s CF Memory Card. I have a friend who can get memory cards cheap for me, so I can get them at a good price if anyone is interested. Most of these cards go for about $600+ but I can get them for about $500, genuine Scandisk with warranty. Smaller GIG space are cheaper. Be careful with memory cards, some are fakes. Just let me know if anyone is interested in a good memory card deal. To be honest, with the D800, you are going to need 64GIG for sure… I filled my 16GIG card up in no time. The Compact Flash will process data a lot quicker too at 90MB-s. You need this speed or it will be too slow especially in RAW and great for HD movies too.

Today we went to Wivenhoe Lake to test my new D800 and 14-24 out… I am still getting my head around the features, but I understand the basics of it. This is for sure a Pro Camera and Lens… Each image is 7360 X 4912px. That is almost the same size as my entire pano using my D90…. Each single image is 109 mb and I took 9 bracketed shots at an EV of 1 stop.

I am at home now processing monstrous file sizes when I hit my first snag. My Photoshop version is V5.5, but I think I have to have V6 to be able to download Adobe Camera RAW plug-in V7+. So, my RAW images will not open in my RAW Photoshop plug-in or my LightRoom 3 RAW plug-in. Does anyone know if I can download a V7 plug-in for PS V5.5?? Nikon does provide ViewNX 2 but I like to use the Photoshop RAW plug-in.

I have my VR Drive II already set to capture a full pano. This is my next test. Urs from Seitz, RoundShot provided me with excellent customer support and service. He made sure I have all the cables for my D800 as well as the new data for the D800 camera, so I am ready to go. When I added my D800 to the data of the VR Drive II, it automatically calculated the shooting pattern so now it’s just a matter of setting up the Nadir Point… Once I have that done I just have to put that information into the settings.

A great feature of the VR Drive II, you can save all your personal settings to the Thumb Drive provided by Seitz. When I make any changes to my personal settings I just update my Thumb Drive. It’s a piece of mind backup. You can also download data and transfer it to the VR Drive when using other data programs.

I hope to have few pano’s to showcase soon.

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:48 am 

Ok, I fixed the RAW issue.. You can download the latest Adobe Camera RAW Plug-in from here.. It's also good for the new D4 and a few other newer cameras..

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh&promoid=HTENC

I have just downloaded and tested it, its all good works fine... Just be advised, at 36.3 MP, it might be a bit slow if you have heaps of images.. You might have to do it in a couple of hits, break the folder up a bit.. Also be advised, its only good for Photoshop C5+.

Destiny...

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Sat May 26, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.