Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:41 pm 

Hello, i would like to ask an advice... i want to change my samyang 8mm manual to an other fisheye that have autofocus, like sigma 10mm ( i've a Canon 7D ), can you help me with the choice? Thanks in advance:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:01 pm 

Marknot wrote:
Hello, i would like to ask an advice... i want to change my samyang 8mm manual to an other fisheye that have autofocus, like sigma 10mm ( i've a Canon 7D ), can you help me with the choice? Thanks in advance:)

Who needs AF on a fisheye? ;):cool:
Take the Canon 8-15mm fisheye. It´s excellent and has AF. If you upgrade to a fullframe you can keep using it. It´s better than the Sigma.
Using the FE @15mm on a 5D2 you get a 112MPx-sphere with 6 shots . . .
The lens is expensive - but it saves you a lot oft time by not having to compensate a lot of CAs as example.

I use to use a Canon 15mm fisheye on my 5D2 - see an example: http://www.360impressions.de/ZuerichBar.html Rendered to 10000x5000px,
6 shots, manual Manfrotto SPH panohead, no bracketing.

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:44 pm 

Thank Klaus for the advice, i understand that the autofocus on a fisheye is not much important, but on my samyang manual i don't get the exif file to make an HDR image... So i was thinking that one solution it's change lens or try other software... That don't need the exif f/stop but just the bracketing -2 0 +2. Thanks again for your help and congratulations for your work!:)

Last edited by Marknot on Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am 

hi!
I have the manual samyang 8mm fisheye....

In the new Autopano Giga 2.6.2 is possible to make HDR images also without exif data? If yes, how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:14 pm 

Aperol wrote:
hi!
I have the manual samyang 8mm fisheye....

In the new Autopano Giga 2.6.2 is possible to make HDR images also without exif data? If yes, how?

I also use the 8mm Samyang...
I do in most cases note on scene the values of F,aperture and exposure time used.
in autopano giga after loading/ importing the images BUT before the pano detection you can enter the image properties where you can set the values for your images.

you also can use such tools like exiftoolgui or exifpilot to edit/change the exif data for your images. So I also have the samyang 85mm and so the manual editing the hundrets of images would be rather a buddhist exercise, so in this case I edit one image and than copy & paste the values to the other images of the same f-stop.

and in almost all cases I do none of both above ways anymore, because I use my T&C handcontroller in combination with my promote control device. the promote control is creating the needed brackets for the HDR and overruling my Canons Operating System and so sending exif data from promote control device to camera (instead of from lens to camerabody) and the T&C handcontroller (the same as from panogear package) is writing the xml log for image positions

Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:02 am 

I have a Canon 5d2. Can you advise whether you can take SamYang 8, I heard that his crop factor 1.6, could this be a problem when assembling panoramas, and what parameters should I do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:07 am 

shovay wrote:
I have a Canon 5d2. Can you advise whether you can take SamYang 8, I heard that his crop factor 1.6, could this be a problem when assembling panoramas, and what parameters should I do?

I think you'll need to 'shave' off the lens hood to use this lens on fullframe sensor body like the Canon 5D2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm 

mediavets wrote:
I think you'll need to 'shave' off the lens hood to use this lens on fullframe sensor body like the Canon 5D2.

Right - i used "shaving" with the 10,5mm Nikon FE on fullframe and it worked . . .

But there is a problem: using a DX fisheye on fullframe means to use it up to the very
borders of it´s image-circle (because you see the full circle).

The image quality of any lens weakens in it`s outer regions and they tend to be more and more vulnerable by stray-light.

Compensating CAs, flares, non-linear distortions and weakening sharpness only in outer parts of an image doesn´t work sufficient usually.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:15 pm 

@ ed: .hdr and hdr mode in autopano: to be honest I both very rarely use because I cant usr the .hdr file for anything. Sorry. Dont use Maya or other apps which could be feeded with .hdr files. But hey I wanna do pano tours so I need a fileformat I can work with in panotour. and here finally jpgs are created... so for what should .hdr be used before. dont see any use here. and hdr mode in autopano... no comment never had a sufficient result. here I must state that Im not smart enough to find settings that work. and manuals saying that this slider is for sliding the slider from left to right are not helping me.

in fact I dont like HDR... I use bracketing (without tonemapping) outside autopano and use the resulting images in autopano. (so HDR mode in fact is even not available ;-))

@ Andrew: shaving Samyang 8mm for FF cams: Yes this is very simple on that lens, you only need two blunt nails...

as in screenshot visible there are 2 small holes. With a small (blunt) nail in both holes you can screw (anticlockwise?) the inner ring. If this is removed the part which must be "shaved" can be took away. So no need to use power or soldering irons nor saws or other desctructive paraphernalia to remove this sunprotection.

Georg

PS: but because of the less resolution (and also because of reasons Klaus is mentioning of course) with the 8mm on a FF I fianally will change to 15/16/24mm or so when I should change from my Canon Eos D400 to a FF camera...

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.