sampl imagess from Nikon D800E  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
klausesser

sampl imagess from Nikon D800E

by klausesser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 am

Hi!

I saw some sample images from te Nikon D800E (without AA-Filter).
Absolutely great for the price!! I ws absolutely surprised (see image 2)

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/sample02.htm

In terms of stitiching 36Mpx mean lesser shots or deeper zooms - MUCH deeper zooms with the same amount of images.
What you need an 85mm before you can now do with a 50mm/lesser images and have a comparable zoom-factor or you do the same amout of images with 85mm
but have a far deeper zoom . . . :cool:

That´s great - the image quallity is outstanding for FX.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

and the moiree?
so could you compare the "less" sharpness from the D800?
i mean for panos: is the possible negative moiree effect you could have worth the more sharpness of the D800E?
(PS: no moiree on the images...)

lg
Georg
Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:00 pm

gkaefer wrote:and the moiree?
so could you compare the "less" sharpness from the D800?
i mean for panos: is the possible negative moiree effect you could have worth the more sharpness of the D800E?
(PS: no moiree on the images...)

lg
Georg

Hi Georg!

My experiences with MF-backs without AA filter and Leica is: moiree comes rarely. IF it´s there you can comomensate it locally without having to treat the whole image.
Draw a selection around the area where moiree is and use a filter to compensate it (CaptureOne, Phocus, Photoshop as examples) work well.

Of course you loose a bit resolution - but you can select the area where you loose it.

Fine geometrical structures in fabrics or metal-woven objects are sensitive to moiree. Most motives are not.

Look on the Nikon site and compare the D800 images to the D800 images.

I definitely would prefer the D800E for "normal photography. It would be interesting to test a D800E for stitching with APG . . . because APG might react to moiree in a rather complex way :P:cool:

So: if you´re willing to do ANY effort to optimise images for stitching (like i use to do) treating moirees with selective compensation is the way to go.

But as i said: moiree isn´t always visible.

In the end it´s not sharpness - it´s simply the more natural look of details in D800E images which attracts me :cool:

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Return to Hardware