Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 pm 

primary my questions during this year is to find a good quality prof. camera/lens combination,
(indoor & outdoor panos, up to 85mm focal)
so fullformat I guess...
... but than ?

currently I've a canon eos 400D with some lowend lenses I will truely not miss if I would change to nikon...

but to be honest? I've no clue which body could be best quality (lets say up to 3000€ for the body)

canon 5D mkII? rumors say that maybe this year a 5DmkIII could be released (dont expect the mkIII will have 36mp like the NikonD800)
canon 1Dx? (out of the 3000€ limit I gave me - but would it be worth the money for panos? or the Nikon D4 - but why has the D4 1/3 of the D800 pixels but the double price?)
(video is no criteria for me)

nikon D800? megapixelralley deluxe & currently unknown quality?
D800: wow: HDR from 2 images simultanously shot with one shutter
I have my doubts on nikons currently: very different in price and also with very different megapixels from 16-36...

ISO: is the feature to bump up the iso value on recent cameras up to 25.000,100.000 or even 204.000
of any value, I mean If I would take a night pano of a city with 50mm on fullformat, I would use promote systems device for HDR bracketing lets say 7-9 brackets.
are the images usable with such a high iso used?

which canon L lens / nikon would be perfect fitting for
- internal panos (8,10,14-30mm?) with lowest possible images, alternativley more image for higher resolution)
- external panos (8-85mm)

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 pm 

Hi Georg...

Well, my aim is to go for the D4 with 14-24. Perfect for indoors and outdoors.. Expensive but wow.. oh wow.. woweee!... LOL..

Destiny..

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:47 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
primary my questions during this year is to find a good quality prof. camera/lens combination,
(indoor & outdoor panos, up to 85mm focal)
so fullformat I guess...
... but than ?

currently I've a canon eos 400D with some lowend lenses I will truely not miss if I would change to nikon...

but to be honest? I've no clue which body could be best quality (lets say up to 3000€ for the body)

canon 5D mkII? rumors say that maybe this year a 5DmkIII could be released (dont expect the mkIII will have 36mp like the NikonD800)
canon 1Dx? (out of the 3000€ limit I gave me - but would it be worth the money for panos? or the Nikon D4 - but why has the D4 1/3 of the D800 pixels but the double price?)
(video is no criteria for me)

nikon D800? megapixelralley deluxe & currently unknown quality?
D800: wow: HDR from 2 images simultanously shot with one shutter
I have my doubts on nikons currently: very different in price and also with very different megapixels from 16-36...

ISO: is the feature to bump up the iso value on recent cameras up to 25.000,100.000 or even 204.000
of any value, I mean If I would take a night pano of a city with 50mm on fullformat, I would use promote systems device for HDR bracketing lets say 7-9 brackets.
are the images usable with such a high iso used?

which canon L lens / nikon would be perfect fitting for
- internal panos (8,10,14-30mm?) with lowest possible images, alternativley more image for higher resolution)
- external panos (8-85mm)

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

Hi Georg!

The Canon 5DII is the optimal camera for this purpose. Why? ok:

1) it costs about 1700.-€ Very cost-effective. I´m curious whether a 5DIII can top it.
2) it provides 21MPx.
3) it takes Nikon-lenses also (manual).
4) the image-quality is exorbitant good.
5) the image quality is still good at 1600ISO
6) in terms of pano-heads it´s positive of being able to unmount the battery grip because of matching the NPP alignment.
7) Magic-Lantern hack is an alternative firmware which provides very interesting features like 9-step bracketing and some others.

In my eyes it´s no question that this camera is ideal for pano-makers.

Cameras like Canon 1DsIII, Nikon D3x are too expensive, too large, too heavy and have features nobody needs for pano-shooting.
I had a D3x on my manual Manfrotto head - i still prefer a 5D2.

Nikon D4 and Canon 1DX sure are superb cameras - but rather for sport, journalism and movies than for panos.

The D800 first has to proove a good quality like the one of the 5D2 from it´s new 36MPx . . (i´m not sure it will).

Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 am 

Destiny & Klaus,
thanks for your info!
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 am 

Oh yes.. sports action and movies.. just another reason for me wanting the D4.. 1080p HD Broadcast Quality Video with up to 10 fps for action shots... + an amazing Compensation: -1 EV to +20 EV just fantastic for HDR. The only things I don't like are the CompactFlash Card, since there are always issues with the pins.. and I feel that a camera of this type the mega pixels should have been as least the same as the new D800... Apart from these small issues, after reading and reading.. the D4 is for me.. And just a point of interest, when reading reviews, I realise this will be a sticking point with Canon lovers, but most of the reviews I have read, put the Nikon ahead in image quality. Saying that, my first digital camera was the Canon G3, and I would say the images quality is fantastic...

I guess choose the camera for what you will use it for.. I want to do 360 panos, Giggpixel panos at some stage, Sports action and fast moving pano's with the VR Drive II, wedding/portraits and movies and more.. Basically everything.. The 14-24 will be perfect for most of this. I checked it out at the big camera store in Brisbane city yesterday.. oh wow.. its big and heavy.. Too heavy for my NN4.. but I will alway use it will my D90 with that anyway.. The D90 with the 10.5 and NN4 is a fantastic combination.. My NN4 is a just wonderful pano head..

Destiny...

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:20 pm 

CF vs SD...
CF cards can hold up to 144 Petabyte
SD cards only 8 Terabyte

and SD usually has 30mb write/access speed... so dont know if you can save your 10 D4 images per second on a SD card...

:D
Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:15 pm 

Don't forget the weight on your panohead (and the shorter distance the 5DII/III gives compared to the 1D).

A prime lens will always win over a zoom. Canon makes both 14mm rectilinear and 15mm fisheye. The fisheye may give you a better starting point because the rectilinear lens has built-in distortion to make the image rectilinear. :-)