Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:52 pm 

Destiny wrote:
Hi Hans.. I really do not think you are going to see a video anytime soon.. The text in the image above was written in Sep 2010... thats over a years ago... It just seems to me that this GiroCAN thing is not what it seems... I do not believe that even if the video were made available it would not be that great.. It cannot possibly be.. The fisheye cams that have been used in this are just that.. Cams.. not lenses..ya sure, they have lenes on the Cams but they won't be of a high quality.. as we know them to be.. If you capture a video using a Cam, its not that great... and if I were to create a VR video using the same Cam, it would be even worse.. Therefore, the so called HDRI video it is supposed to create will be very yuck.... There are more technical issues associated with this media than a still image.. I just cannot see it being any good for video...

Destiny..

To be sure, I was not talking about a video recorder by the girocam, but a video that show an actuall Girocam in action. It is not to much asked from me I hope ;-)

The term vaporware comes to mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:17 pm 

Destiny wrote:
PS.. Somemore info.... [url]http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/ic360-Inventor-Cedric-Tay’s-360-Degree-Digital-Camera-.htm[/url]

I wonder if they ever made one that actually works... I might email the guy and ask... :cool:

It definitely doubt it would go to be produced - that´s a typical designer-thing: useless . . ;) :cool: Just good for one-row panos (who wants them these days?) providing a not really wide vertical angle. Look the way the lens is mounted.

Shooting full-sphere panoramas these days isn´t rocket-sience any more - neither manually nor motorized.

I´m just running a test with Josef´s head (the older prototype version): exactly 31sec for a full-sphere providing 112mpx (5D2, 15mm fisheye).
A full sphere using a 35mm with 47 images providing around 700mpx is done in 3min, 8sec.

The final version is faster - but i didn´t measure the times yet.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:22 am 

Destiny wrote:
Well.... It looks like others think the same way as me... :lol:

Honestly: the Girocam isn´t such a bad thing for real-estate people. They don´t need high quality but have to work very fast and cheap.
iI guess they wouldn´t really miss a Nadir.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:40 am 

Destiny wrote:
Yep.. and that's who bought most of those mirror things..:rolleyes: .......

Right - and they have an even worse quality and are very uncomfortable to handle.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm 

http://www.tamaggo.com/main/

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:20 pm 

So far : 200 euro, 360 times 200 degrees, 2 to 4 gb memory, each shot is 20 mb

Now i was thinking, give it a tripod hole, put it on rotator and use it horizontal for two shotsmn and one down. Presto!!!! I am liking this thing already

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm 

HansKeesom wrote:
So far : 200 euro, 360 times 200 degrees, 2 to 4 gb memory, each shot is 20 mb

Now i was thinking, give it a tripod hole, put it on rotator and use it horizontal for two shotsmn and one down. Presto!!!! I am liking this thing already

??? "360 times 200 degrees" what does this mean?

very less information on the website. the panos I can see are done with panotour pro. and have all 90-100 x 360.
is it one shot = one pano? if you look at the device... can it stand alone without help??
if you munt it on a tripot (is it at all possible because on bottom are the buttons...) the lens is before the tripot axis.... so if you turn the device to shoot another pano than lens is not in NPP???
very strange this device...
website is not good. missing essential infos... where, when to buy and many more...
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 pm 

If i stretch my arms horizontal there is 180 degrees between them, and aboe my head. If i lower my arms a bit yiu have 200 degrees. So in autopano terms that woul be 360 * 100.

I hope for tripod hole but dont expect it.
I dont see the general public buy this, but real estate might. For 200 euro, why not give it a try? i wouldnt mind having one for backup in the bag, just for when all other camera's fail....

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:52 pm 

yep. and for RC helicopter or RC copters it could also be interesting... 360 with one image... ;-))
180 gramm wheight... so no highend copter is needed capable of a 2-4kg payload...

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 pm 

Destiny wrote:
I am not sure if you have seen it Georg.. but I put some really good helicopter stuff up on the "Cool Stuff" for you... and yes, you are right.. put one of these on a helicopter and... :D:D

gkaefer wrote:
yep. and for RC helicopter or RC copters it could also be interesting... 360 with one image... ;-))
180 gramm wheight... so no highend copter is needed capable of a 2-4kg payload...

Georg

I saw it! until now not my level of experience (not my nore your posted ones...) it would be too expensive for me - if I would put a cam on such a heli to fly it ;-)))
currently I'm 3classes lower, currently flying a "robbe arrow plus trainer evo" heli.

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm 

Indeed, it does not replace the pro thing but it does a great job bring this thing to the masses. It is potable and affordable. No if it is able to deliver on image-quality so that it good enough to put on facebook etc, then it sure is a winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 am 

Hi,

I've bought (at work) the Girocam a week ago, nice and easy camera to shoot average 360 pics. Bad bad bad thing is, that they have used an MAGNETIC standard tripodmount connected to the camera.
So after I screwed the Girocam on my tripod and walked away to my destination, it fall down on the street and broke and it's not working anymore.

So be careful!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm 

LOL,

yes, that's the only good thing for now indeed. Tamaggo looks good, especially for that price. But I can't wait that long? Any other good tips for an easy to use 360 camera which I can use with Panotour Pro?

Shoot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:47 pm 

taras wrote:
LOL,

yes, that's the only good thing for now indeed. Tamaggo looks good, especially for that price. But I can't wait that long? Any other good tips for an easy to use 360 camera which I can use with Panotour Pro?

Shoot!

What is your budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 pm 

mediavets wrote:
taras wrote:
LOL,

Shoot!

What is your budget?

0-3000 euro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:55 pm 

mediavets wrote:
taras wrote:
LOL,

Shoot!

What is your budget?

And, Tamaggo + website looks good but there is a tricky thing going on here:

The images used herein were not captured with a Tamaggo 360-imager; they are for illustrative purposes only.

So I guess, quality will be not as good as shown on their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm 

taras wrote:
mediavets wrote:
taras wrote:
LOL,

Shoot!

What is your budget?

0-3000 euro

Two suggestions:
1) buy 6-8 GoPro and have a rig built which allows to cover a sphere with one shot. You get a quality which is fully ok and better than Tamaggo and comparable devices (and you also can shoot 360° videos).
2) buy a fullframe with a fisheye and a manual head. Using a 5D2 with 21MPx you get 112MPx with 6 shots horizontal @-12° and one shot for zenith. That´s done very easy and takes about 6-10 seconds -
depending on how trained you are.

The stitiching almost runs automatically - rendering on an up to date computer takes just some minutes.

Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:19 pm 

klausesser wrote:
taras wrote:
mediavets wrote:
What is your budget?

0-3000 euro

Two suggestions:
1) buy 6-8 GoPro and have a rig built which allows to cover a sphere with one shot. You get a quality which is fully ok and better than Tamaggo and comparable devices (and you also can shoot 360° videos).
2) buy a fullframe with a fisheye and a manual head. Using a 5D2 with 21MPx you get 112MPx with 6 shots horizontal @-12° and one shot for zenith. That´s done very easy and takes about 6-10 seconds -

The stitiching almost runs automatically - rendering on an up to date computer takes just some minutes.

Klaus

Thanks for the tip but i'm not trained at all, so it has to be as easy as can be. Just like the Girocam. So buying 6 or 8 GoPro's is not an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm 

taras wrote:
mediavets wrote:
taras wrote:
LOL,

Shoot!

What is your budget?

0-3000 euro

Don't know how much this costs but I believe it's based on multiple GoPo cameras:
http://www.diy-streetview.com/

Otherwise I'd back Klaus' suggestion of a fullframe fisheye lens on a DSLR with manual pano head. Such a setup will produce much higher quality panos than any one-shot system.

What was the attraction of the Girocam in the first place? If you could describe your application in more detail we might be able to offer mo=re specific advice on equipment options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:43 pm 

Destiny wrote:
But in reality they are very limited and all have their own software.. I do not think you can use the images with apg.. They capture a kind of donut image and very poor quality in reality,

Sorry, Destiny: you´re not fully informed and you´re obviously not experienced with *actual* devices.
I tested such a rig of 8 GoPo some weeks ago - the quality of the full sphere was surprisingly good. Of course not as good as from a fullframe dslr/fisheye - no question about that - but definitely better than what you can get from devices like Tamaggo or Girocam. 8x5MPx isn´t too bad and the lenses aren´t bad also.

For quick and cheap use in average real estate it´s definitely a good choice - and not too expensive.

best, Klaus

P.S.: as software for the GoPros we used APG. No problem.

Last edited by klausesser on Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:38 pm 

Thanks for the tips!

To answer Mediaverts question.

My main reason for buying the Girocam was simply the 'plug and play' idea behind it.
To be honest the camera works just fine! Average pictures for the work i'm aiming for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:03 pm 

taras wrote:
Thanks for the tips!

To answer Mediaverts question.

My main reason for buying the Girocam was simply the 'plug and play' idea behind it.
To be honest the camera works just fine! Average pictures for the work i'm aiming for.

Besides DIY solutions using GoPro there´s one absolutely perfect working, full automated solution for which you don´t need any knowledge: LizardQ . . . ;):cool:
But i doubt 22000-25000.-€ is in the budged!?
Another device of this kind is Civetta (Owl): http://www.weiss-ag.org/business-divisions/360-technology/ (familiar price-range)
Then we have the famous hitech Spheron: http://www.spheron.com/en/spheron-cgi/products/spherocam-hdr.html Even more expensive, scan-cam of extremely high quality.
Some specialities.

Other one-shot solutions would be the "LadyBug" as example.

Actually severeal developements base on small devices of good - not highend - quality like GoPro. That´s a good solution for doing quick panos in real estate and 360° interactive video . . which will be the next logical step
in interactivity.

A rig of 6-8 GoPros actually definitely is the most clever choice to get a sphere done with one shot in good quality for average real estate. Very fast and easy done. We were positively surprised by the performance.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:26 pm 

taras wrote:
klausesser wrote:
taras wrote:
0-3000 euro

Two suggestions:

Klaus

Thanks for the tip but i'm not trained at all, so it has to be as easy as can be. Just like the Girocam. So buying 6 or 8 GoPro's is not an option.

just for info: http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8969/
multi go pro rig with central shutter release... so one button does release all go proce syncron...and like in this link above even wireless on a copter ;-)
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:32 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
taras wrote:
klausesser wrote:
Two suggestions:

Klaus

just for info: http://www.panoguide.com/forums/qna/8969/
multi go pro rig with central shutter release... so one button does release all go proce syncron...and like in this link above even wireless on a copter ;-)
Georg

G-R-E-A-T!! :cool:

best, Klaus