Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:56 pm 

See http://www.kolor.com/blog-en/2011/11/15/introducing-girocam-the-new-3-fisheye-one-shot-camera-pre-orders-now-open/

I don't get it, 1800 euro and the result is a huge triangle on the bottom of a panorama which looks rather ugly overall to me.

Can anyone explain this product to me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 pm 

and consider very low resolution and poor sharpness of panoramas shown on that same page and stitching errors :|

Last edited by vincen on Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm 

indeed. It looks very cool ad very fast, but with such quality I use my ugly pano head and slow camera and deliver perfect 360 * 180!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 am 

Hi Hans:

If you prefer better quality and a fast speed a motorized vr-head like our MK PanoMachine is a good option:

- 360CR mode for fast panoramas from 4 seconds / 360° - continuous rotation with triggering position exactly
- HighSpeed mode from 2 seconds / 360° with pre-acceleration and deceleration (Non-stop shooting)

Have fun

Marc

www.vr-head.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am 

Hi Marc,

At the moment I use a nodal ninja to make good quality panoramas in just a few minutes. No nadir hole, one can look down to see the floor instead of a logo or a black hole, so real 360 * 180.

I can accept a small nadir hole in some projects but nothing over 10 degrees, so pano has to be 360*170 at least.
The girocam is going backwards when it comes to the nadir hole and the image-quality, but going forward when is comes to speed. That is a not so good combination for me.

What is the size of the nadir hole with your the vr-head, I could not find any examples. And how about the prce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:11 am 

Hi Hans,

the nadir hole is a small one, I can send you a picture by e-mail / please send me an e-mail to info@marc-kairies.de.

Best regards

Marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 am 

marc, my email is in my signature, hans@hanskeesom.com. A link to a complete pano would be great also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 pm 

Yes, but it's automatic. I also own a NN, but I rarely use it, as it is a hussle, especially when using different lens and a heavier body. With Girocam, the whole process of get out of the car, setup, shoot, get back in the car seems down to a minute or less. I takes 5 minutes to assemble the tripod / NN / camera alone.

Also, I see you have a lot of time on your hands and you're being active on the forums - which is great. But maybe the best place to complain about a product you don't own and haven't tested is the actual manufacturers' site. Kolor did not make this "panohead" - they simply partnered to deliver a custom stitching solution.

All that said, I should add that I'd personally *never* pay such a price for a device of this kind. However I realize there are people that would, gladly. So I wish Kolor and Giroptic success in this "new" endevour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm 

Bo,

Sorry to hear you need so much time assembling your setup. I use a quickrelease on my camera which helps a lot. The girocam needs a tripod also, so there is little difference.

I am rather busy, I visit this forum while waiting for autopano/panotour to finish.

i don't complain about the product, I just don't understand it and had hoped someone could explain it to me.

Last edited by HansKeesom on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 am 

I'll tell you one thing this product would be brilliant for - timelapses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 am 

Even for timelapse you expect a certain image quality. I could not find anythng about timelapse on their website. The thing seems to came without a remote even... where do you hide when making the pano? In the big triangle below?

Looking at the examples they show at their website it is rather poor. And that are examples they provide themselves!!!

The restaurant example I would never be able to sell to a restaurant. you can't read the menu and looking down there is a huge triangle.
Even google businessview does a better job....http://maps.google.com/help/maps/businessphotos/

They have a HDR menu and a measuring menuon their website, I had hoped for something there, but no, it says "coming soon" . Seems like they are still looking for ideas how to use this device.

Well, sent one to me and I will seriously try to invent some applications for it. Somebody better came up with a good story soon or else this product goes into oblivia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:02 pm 

I have been following this thread as I was interested on using the camera for quick shoots since it was so cheap. On digging deeper, I now I know why!
I also thought that the claim of 300 degrees fov was a little optimistic.
My findings show ITS NOT, its 258 degrees to be exact ! A long way off from the claimed 300.
Its also only 18 mega pixel when converting to equirectangular, not the 21 mega pixel they claim - Marketing guys, always looking to put a spin on the facts.

As you'll see from the included jpg (if its still here and not removed by Kolor) the tips of the triangles are outside
of the base of the cube, so they're wider than 90 degrees apart...
so their claim of 300 degrees is nonsense - to be precise, it's 258 degrees.
The absolute limit on the middle of the side of a triangle is the 300 degrees they claim,
so basically only THREE PIXELS in the whole image are actually at the lowest '300 degree' (150 degree down) towards nadir.

I've converted the cube to an equirectangular image which makes it trivial to measure.

I can't understand why Kolor is backing this product, the images are not great, resolution is low, fov is poor.
I also suspect that charging from usb (5v) must take a lifetime to charge the camera, not ideal if on site. Basic display.. hmm

I think I will stick to manual methods and give this a big miss. Its just not going to be good enough for the 360 work I am involved in, probably ok for low end property marketing at best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:40 pm 
Administrator

I don't know where you read 21 Megapixels : it has always been 18 megapixels and never 21.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm 

Here is a video on the Giroptic channel stating 30 Megapixels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Eo0NKLuKA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:21 pm 

Whatever number they give, the proof of the pudding is the eating and as the resulting images are too ugly to look at, let´s just forget about this product. It is just a case of `The Emperor's New Clothes` http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor's_New_Clothes

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:52 pm 

Sigh... yes, we got it. If you're not too busy, you could let Giroptic know about you forgetting about their product: http://www.giroptic.com/en_US/contact.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:59 pm 

makes me realise that when you put the girocam on a rotator and make 3 pictures, at 40 degrees rotation, you should have a much smaller nadir.......
An idea for Girocam version 2, an autorotation mechanism, to reduce the nadir hole and to improve picture quality!!!!!

This idea Copyrighted by Hans Keesom!!! Call me for a licence!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm 

Much better. What's the size of the Nadir? Does it have a tripod hole at the bottom. Or do we have to throw it in the air a second before it makes the photos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:03 am 

Cool device but expensive.

But the Hasbro 3D viewer looks interesting. I can show my virtual tours already offline on iPad and iPhone and with this you I guess you get a even better look at things, or do you think it will not work for the pano's we make?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:34 am 

Think its a Nikon 70-200/2,8 and works with no Problem on the Merlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am 

Yes the Merlin is much cheaper and gives much better result, Of course you do need to have a camera and a good lens already, because otherwise you need to spend another 1000 euro and then you get at the same level as the Girocam. Of course with a normal camera you can do much more.

The only thing that speaks for the girocam is it´s speed. And that you don´t need to buy yourself a camera. And you don´t need to stitch anything because it does it for you. So you see, I try to make it look good, but.......it is just not good enough when it comes to image quality and nadir size.
I really would like to have a few weeks with it and find a way to overcame these problems.
Knowing myself, I am able to do so, if only they send me one for a few weeks. As it is now I am not putting my mony into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:16 am 

HansKeesom wrote:
And you don´t need to stitch anything because it does it for you.

Just to clarify - it doesn't stitch the images. The images are stored on the unit and then stitched post-production on a laptop using the custom Kolor supplied software.

Pano Kit: Nodal Ninja 5 R-D16 + Pentax K5 + Samyang 8mm f/3.5 + Samyang 14mm f/2.8 + Pentax 300mm f/4 + GigaPan Epic Pro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:04 am 

O oke. So still need to do stitching. will not be difficutl but still

Do you happen to have some originals, as they came straight out of the camera=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 pm 

Looks like a clockradio for in the bedroom :-) But we don't want panoramas of bedroom of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:20 am 

If only they came up with a demo movie of someone leaving home to go out and make some panoramas. Outdoors, indoors. with a clock in the left uppers corner jumping forward to show how quick you can make your panoramas with it.