Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:03 pm 

On some internet sources I read about SAMYANG 8mm Fisheye that its made for APS-C sensors and the lens is not usage for full format sensors.
if this true and if so why?
(samyang also offers a 14mm fisheye where it is stated usage for APS-C and fullformat sensors...)

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:13 pm 

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/SAMYANG/Early%20test%20report.html

http://www.360pano.de/en/samyang_5D_1D.html

Regards Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm 

I would like to add that Samyang has released a II. version of the lens with removable hood.
The exact name is Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Asph IF MC Fisheye CSII DH.

Sharpness is fairly good for a fisheye, chromatic aberration is noticable but nothing serious.
I've not tested the lens regarding to lens flare, but i've seen some flares with direct side lighting.
The lens has a pretty thick vignette around the image circle even if stopped down.
This leads me to believe that the mfr has not been updated optics for full-frame purpose, since the lens originally designed for aps-c sensors.
Because of the vignette, the usable image FOV is less than 180 degrees, so clean full-frame sphericals can be produced with min. 4+1 shots.
Overall the lens is a good performer for the price.

Last edited by tbr on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:02 pm 

I'll second the positive sounds about this lens. We use it for all our 360*180 work, at APS-C and at 60 degree rotation. For full frame I am not sure if I would go to 90 degrees, but that is something I would doubt about with any fishey lens.

Mind you, the lens is manual almost everything, no autofocus and no exif. But that is fine for use with autopano

Last edited by HansKeesom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
On some internet sources I read about SAMYANG 8mm Fisheye that its made for APS-C sensors and the lens is not usage for full format sensors.
if this true and if so why? (samyang also offers a 14mm fisheye where it is stated usage for APS-C and fullformat sensors...)
Georg

Hey Georg!

If you need a circular fe for fullframe consider a "shaved" Nikon 10,5mm. This produces a full circle on FX. You loose resolution of course using a circular fe on FX.

I guess your aim is to have as few shots as possible? Another way would be on your 5D2 to use a 2,8/15mm Canon fisheye in a diagonally mount camera - they´re out of production and sometimes available at a "comfortable" price (the new 8-15mm zoom is rather expensive). This way you can use the 180° diagonal fov the lens provides (Nikon provides 170° diagonally) and you don´t need an extra Zenith- and Nadir shot (but Nadir must get edited of course - as it must be with all lenses).

I read very different critics of the Samyang . . i tried one some time ago and definitely wasn´t impressed at all because of very massive CAs and flares. But there seem to be newer versions of better quality.

In the end it´s a question of what you really need: earning money with your work or doing it just for fun. In the first case you save time having a "clean" lens - in the second case i guess spending time with lots of corrections doesn´t matter too much.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:18 pm 

For Nikon, the Samyang lens exists in AE mode : Hence you can automatically control exposure and you get exif data.

This is the fisheye I use now for my spherical panoramas and I am happy with it, even if I sometime find that it lacks sharpness.