Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 am 

I just notoced that the newest firmware (beta) for the promote control device now supports focus stacking.
just connect the promote with the usb to your (supported canon) cam, choose the settings (steps, number of images)...
this also can be combined with the HDR mode, so on each stack position the HDR set of images will be shot.
2 videos can be found here:
https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=17

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 pm 

gkaefer wrote:

Hey Georg!

Thanks! I will try it in the evening.

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:06 am 

Hello George and Klausser,

I get interested in the Promote system, to progress my photography, specially the focus stacking and hdr.

My equipments are canon eos 50d, canon 100mm f2.8L IS 1:1 macro, and some lenses, macbook pro 13" 2.53 gHz 4gb ram 750gb hd mac osx 10.6.8 (to upgrade later to lion 10.7).

I have a program for focus fusion by Max Lyon's Tufuse Pro, but unfortunately it is only for windows os.

What mac program could be used to proccess the focus stacking by promote. Btw, I have PS CS5 mac and several plugins (onone and topaz).

Thank you very mcuh and best regards,

Manuel
From Manila Philippines

Canon EOS20d, 50d, sigma 12-24, samyang 8mm FE, 4GB ram, 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro 13.3 Snow 10.6.8, Panosaurus, Nodal Ninja NN3II, AutopanoGiga+PTP, KRPano Unlimited, Photomatix4, onOne PhototoolsPro 2.6 and Perfect Resize 7, Noiseware Pro, Topaz Suite, PS CS5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:51 am 

focus stacking (windows and mac version available):
http://www.software-choice.com/bildbearbeitung/fotokorrektur/helicon-focus-pro

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:42 am 

I've been hoping for a smartphone application to do this. DSLR controller for android looks promising (apple doesn't allow app access to USB from what I understand). Focus stacking though is painful enough that I'd consider the promote. HDR is too easy to do in camera to make it worth $300.

photoshop cs5 for the mac has some built in focus stacking functionality. Zerene stacker and Helicon Focus are more dedicated focus stackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 am 

foundation wrote:
I've been hoping for a smartphone application to do this. DSLR controller for android looks promising (apple doesn't allow app access to USB from what I understand). Focus stacking though is painful enough that I'd consider the promote. HDR is too easy to do in camera to make it worth $300.

photoshop cs5 for the mac has some built in focus stacking functionality. Zerene stacker and Helicon Focus are more dedicated focus stackers.

which cam are you using?
my canon cant do an HDR with 15 or more images...
my canon cant calculate the EV/AV/exposure time offside the standard +-2AEB...
my canon cant calculate focus stacking...
my canon is much slower shooting the images... (promote shutter cable+ USB cable in combination can do it, see the online video with the nikon....)

Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:30 am 

Hello,

Thank you all for the info, very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Manuel

Canon EOS20d, 50d, sigma 12-24, samyang 8mm FE, 4GB ram, 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro 13.3 Snow 10.6.8, Panosaurus, Nodal Ninja NN3II, AutopanoGiga+PTP, KRPano Unlimited, Photomatix4, onOne PhototoolsPro 2.6 and Perfect Resize 7, Noiseware Pro, Topaz Suite, PS CS5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:52 am 
Administrator

I highly recommend Zerene Stacker. It's really accurate and powerful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm 

gkaefer wrote:
I just notoced that the newest firmware (beta) for the promote control device now supports focus stacking.
just connect the promote with the usb to your (supported canon) cam, choose the settings (steps, number of images)...
this also can be combined with the HDR mode, so on each stack position the HDR set of images will be shot.
2 videos can be found here:
https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=17

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Hi George,

This makes it even a more desirable tool.

Few questions though

- I use a Hama wireless remote with my 40 D, will i be able to connect this remote to the promote so the promote sits in betwee remote and camera? Or can I still use the remote connected to the camera? i ask because in some situation I do not want to be close to the camera and trigger from a distance

- Does focus stacking helps the stitching in autopano. As more things are in sharper focus I would think so

- Does focus stacking creates a kind of super resolution effect like discussed in http://www.kolor.com/forum/p83224-2011-05-16-19-17-37#p83224 ?

regards,
Hans

Last edited by HansKeesom on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 am 

HI Hans,

sorry your porsting did not get my attention until now... sorry for being so late...

the Hama Wireless... how is this connected to your canon?

I usually use the TC controller in combination with the promote and the merling
I can do 2 ways:
1. TC connected to merlin and merlin shutterplug->promote control accessory port and promote control shutterrelease and/or promote usb to according plugs of my canon. (with usb the shutter is faster)
here the TC holds the info for the shooting parameter, grid, planar, spherical, cam body, lens used etc. shutterrelease sequence is going from TC handcontroller to merlin and via merlin shutterrelease plug going to promote control assessories port, here the HDR program sequence is started and aperture, bracket info etc plus shutterrelease signals are going via shutter plug and/or via usb cable to the canon.
2. with same hardware also is possible: shutterplig at the TC handcontroller is connected to promote assessories port etc...

difference is the xml file which gets logged by the TC handcontroller. in 2. it contains only 1 bracket, also if promote is set to HDR with x brackets... in 1. the TC can also be set to x brackets, but only one signal is sent via merlin to promote so only the HDR sequence is started once...

of course also without theTC handcontroller its possible...
promote shutter plug and/or usb cable is connected to the canon. but now youve to manually start the peogram sequence of the promote. so in combination with merlin and papywizzard you can pause than start promote sequence then end paus at the papywizzard

so if you write "from a distance" if this is up to 1.5m than the promote device with extra long cables can do it without the hama...

focus stacking:
does it help stiching with autopano? dont think so. it can help you trick the limits of your lenses.
each lens can be set to its hyperfocal distance. this depends on focal length and of used aperture. to make a short conclusion: high f number f/19/22/32 value = near hyperfocal distance and low f number used f8-f1.4 = far away hyperfocal distance. example samyang 85mm 1.4 lens: at f/1.4 the hyperfocal distance is more than 250m away.... f/22 = 15m
so depending on how my objects are placed on scene and if I want to have them sharp on my pano, I have to use a certain aperture and this affects the possible range for the shutter release times of each bracket and of the possible number of brackets. So in many combinations now some objects would be unsharp on my pano... so here the focus stacking can help me on same image position. the promote focus stacking feature now does some steps automatically. it will shot on one image position not only one image or if desired an bracket of images (for HDR/tonemapping) but now additional according sets of images by changing by autofocus the focus of your lens. This now is against all current rules praying to use your lens set to manual ;-)) In result you've a lot , really a lot of images you've to deal with. the according focus stacking images must be treated with an external software so all sharp parts of each single image is combined to one final sharp image for each image position of the pano. this reduced sets of images (now can be HDR fuesed/stacked/tonemapped with external programms like enfusegui or photomatix pro or with autopano by using the grouping by stack tool before pano detection...

super resolution effect like discussed in the other mentioned thread: no, not more than a pseudo effect. one single image does not contain more bytes, nore has bigger dimensions or megapixels it also has not less noise, less dissortion or chromatic aberations. So to achieve this you've to shoot each single shot image in above scenario multiple times with equal settingsh, to see real effects you would need minimum of 5-10 sets per image.
and these sets could than combined with oloneo software or photoshop elements 9 (from these two software I knwo they have this feature) to reduce noise and to achieve some sort of super resolution... (in my case I rather would change my camera from canon eos 400D to 1DMK2 instead of using last mentioned method to raise image quality)

PS: the promote manual can be found here: https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=4&pcid=0&nav=0

PPS: to reduce time and needed resouces for above scenarios you could consider using:
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm
(160 megapixel per image and no need for bracketing, because the seitz covers more EVs, so builtin HDR shooting with one click...)
but therfore you've to raise the money factor ;-)))

Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 am 

gkaefer wrote:
HI Hans,

sorry your porsting did not get my attention until now... sorry for being so late...

No need to apoligise, your contributions als always well worth the waiting

gkaefer wrote:
the Hama Wireless... how is this connected to your canon?

The receiver is connected to the camera into the hole with 3 pins in there. The camera is a 40 D

gkaefer wrote:
I usually use the TC controller in combination with the promote and the merling
I can do 2 ways:
1. TC connected to merlin and merlin shutterplug->promote control accessory port and promote control shutterrelease and/or promote usb to according plugs of my canon. (with usb the shutter is faster)
here the TC holds the info for the shooting parameter, grid, planar, spherical, cam body, lens used etc. shutterrelease sequence is going from TC handcontroller to merlin and via merlin shutterrelease plug going to promote control assessories port, here the HDR program sequence is started and aperture, bracket info etc plus shutterrelease signals are going via shutter plug and/or via usb cable to the canon.

2. with same hardware also is possible: shutterplig at the TC handcontroller is connected to promote assessories port etc...

difference is the xml file which gets logged by the TC handcontroller. in 2. it contains only 1 bracket, also if promote is set to HDR with x brackets... in 1. the TC can also be set to x brackets, but only one signal is sent via merlin to promote so only the HDR sequence is started once...

For the moment I will be working without a Merlin so that would make things easier, but that might change in the future so good to keep that in mind. Using the Merlin and a normal lens will problably have a huge effect on quality.

gkaefer wrote:
of course also without theTC handcontroller its possible...
promote shutter plug and/or usb cable is connected to the canon. but now youve to manually start the peogram sequence of the promote. so in combination with merlin and papywizzard you can pause than start promote sequence then end paus at the papywizzard

so if you write "from a distance" if this is up to 1.5m than the promote device with extra long cables can do it without the hama...

That is good to know. Options are always good to have, just in case.

gkaefer wrote:
focus stacking:
does it help stiching with autopano? dont think so. it can help you trick the limits of your lenses.

Ok, so still same rotation settings as without focus settings, just better endresult.

gkaefer wrote:
each lens can be set to its hyperfocal distance. this depends on focal length and of used aperture. to make a short conclusion: high f number f/19/22/32 value = near hyperfocal distance and low f number used f8-f1.4 = far away hyperfocal distance. example samyang 85mm 1.4 lens: at f/1.4 the hyperfocal distance is more than 250m away.... f/22 = 15m
so depending on how my objects are placed on scene and if I want to have them sharp on my pano, I have to use a certain aperture and this affects the possible range for the shutter release times of each bracket and of the possible number of brackets. So in many combinations now some objects would be unsharp on my pano... so here the focus stacking can help me on same image position. the promote focus stacking feature now does some steps automatically. it will shot on one image position not only one image or if desired an bracket of images (for HDR/tonemapping) but now additional according sets of images by changing by autofocus the focus of your lens. This now is against all current rules praying to use your lens set to manual ;-)) In result you've a lot , really a lot of images you've to deal with. the according focus stacking images must be treated with an external software so all sharp parts of each single image is combined to one final sharp image for each image position of the pano. this reduced sets of images (now can be HDR fuesed/stacked/tonemapped with external programms like enfusegui or photomatix pro or with autopano by using the grouping by stack tool before pano detection...

I realise I need to read into hyperfocal theory a lot more before being able to do this. It is not an easy trick. Also I need to do some work on the workflow but that seems like do-able. I normally stay away from too much HDR but that is also because my camera does not go that far. Thank you for laying out something for me to study on.

gkaefer wrote:
super resolution effect like discussed in the other mentioned thread: no, not more than a pseudo effect. one single image does not contain more bytes, nore has bigger dimensions or megapixels it also has not less noise, less dissortion or chromatic aberations. So to achieve this you've to shoot each single shot image in above scenario multiple times with equal settingsh, to see real effects you would need minimum of 5-10 sets per image.
and these sets could than combined with oloneo software or photoshop elements 9 (from these two software I knwo they have this feature) to reduce noise and to achieve some sort of super resolution... (in my case I rather would change my camera from canon eos 400D to 1DMK2 instead of using last mentioned method to raise image quality)

Yep, there is a practical limit on how much you can improve quality using these "tricks", sometimes you just need to buy better gear.

gkaefer wrote:
PS: the promote manual can be found here: https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=4&pcid=0&nav=0

PPS: to reduce time and needed resouces for above scenarios you could consider using:
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm
(160 megapixel per image and no need for bracketing, because the seitz covers more EVs, so builtin HDR shooting with one click...)
but therfore you've to raise the money factor ;-)))

Found the manual allready, will dive into it.
Yes great camera, I will soon have made enough money for it :-)
gkaefer wrote:
Liebe GrüàŸe,
Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:18 am 

ok see you're using the Hama Wireless Remote Control Release.ca-2
this has an N3 plug... bingo you're the winner ;-))

promote has several cables available also one with N3 plug for the 1DMK2 and the D40 on other end theres a stereo head plug used for the shutterrelease plug of the promote control.
but the promote does not have an N3 plug... the accessory plug is a "smaller stereo plug" its more standard. it looks like the plug for the Hama Wireless Remote Control Release.ca-1

but before try & error testing... promote does offer an remote sensor for the promote... for not so much money... ok more expensive than the hama one... but then with guarantee its working...

see the products page:
http://www.promotesystems.com/categories/All-products/
it looks like its an 3rd party part from phottix, so it should be possible to find same product on internet...

so the N3 cable for promote-canon connection and the phottix remote to plug into the accessorie port of the promote should do it...

PS: i really like this promote device... im not reseller or have any possible business relations with the company ;-)))

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:34 am 

ps promote control...

... i recently suggested at promote ticket system to support 1/2 EV steps....
the samyang 85mm lens has only 1/2 EV steps / f stops... and the promote currently only is able to handel 1/3 steps...
this can cause some inaccuracies in the calculating the shutter speeds for the bracket sets...

this request was forwarded to the dev. team... would be great to have this enhancement...

Georg