Planning to buy a Motorized Panohead, need help.  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
sanje

by sanje » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:50 am

Klauss and Leif and everyone else,
I'm completely new to making panoramas.
you guys seem very knowledgeable on the subject though it's open to everyone. I want to make 360x180 hdri's for use in 3d software.
I am happy with a resultion of 10,000 pixels in the longer dimension.. although bigger is not a problem. I am using a Nikon D 800 which gives a 7360 x 4912 pixels file. I am thinking of getting the Samyang 8mm lens
I am considering buying the panogear motorized head to do this. With manual heads I am afraid of making mistakes and accidentally moving the tripod or camera..
so would prefer to use an automated system and cant afford the more expensive systems. Will Panogear do what i need? Thanks for your help
Sanje ( Shanghai )

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 am

sanje wrote:Klauss and Leif and everyone else,
I'm completely new to making panoramas.
you guys seem very knowledgeable on the subject though it's open to everyone. I want to make 360x180 hdri's for use in 3d software.
I am happy with a resultion of 10,000 pixels in the longer dimension.. although bigger is not a problem. I am using a Nikon D 800 which gives a 7360 x 4912 pixels file. I am thinking of getting the Samyang 8mm lens
I am considering buying the panogear motorized head to do this. With manual heads I am afraid of making mistakes and accidentally moving the tripod or camera..
so would prefer to use an automated system and cant afford the more expensive systems. Will Panogear do what i need? Thanks for your help
Sanje ( Shanghai )

Hi!

I´m afraid using the 8mm on fullframe you´ll face the problem of the Merlin´s (Panogear) very big footprint. Btw.: why would you anyway use an 8mm on fullframe?
I definitely suggest to use Nikon´s 16mm fisheye for that. It´s one of the best fisheyes around.

But here you also have the issue of a big footprint because of the Merlin´s big base.

An 8mm lens covers only the center-part of your frame - you loose the rest and with that you loose resolution. So an D800´s resolution will be "degraded".
You only save about two shots with 8mm fe compared to 16mm fe.

I wouldn´t suggest the Merlin for the use with fisheyes. If you don´t want to buy something more expensive - Panoneed is 2000.-€, Seitz VR2 is about 2800.€, Rodeon is about 4000.-€ - you´d be better off with a good manual head for the use with fisheyes.

But first hand i suggest to learn more about making panos - and THEN decide about which hardware suits you!

If - IF ;) - you do panos ONLY for HDR spheres as IBL in 3D applications you don´t really need a Nadir. Under this aspect a Merlin works well - but better don´t take an 8mm lens!
But this is restricted only to the use for IBL spheres without a Nadir.

best, Klaus

P.S.

another option IF you definitly prefer to use the 8mm or a 10,5mm (circular) on your D800: use an Agnos Ring or NN Ring and a Seztz VR 1. You can mount the camera in a way that the diagonal of the frame is set vertical. This way you cover the Zenith with the horizontal shots. Seitz VR 1 only moves horizontally (1 row) - but that´s all you need then - it´s very small, fast and less expensive than multirows.
Because of the D800´s high resolution you´ll get a sphere which easily suits the needs for IBL.

As i mentioned before: first get used to this all! You can´t buy a car, step into it and drive away before havà­ng learned how to drive if you want to drive without having a crash . . ;):cool:
Last edited by klausesser on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

Previous

Return to Hardware