Image-stitching and virtual tour solutions My account Updates
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:43 am 

Getting back to the Roundshot or even Josef's head,

using lens' such as the 300mm 2.8 or larger, are they able to hold them still with no slack or slip? on a Nikon D3 or Canon 1D

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:43 am 

Wow, what a beast of a lens! All the videos I have seen of the VR Drive II in action show it as being rock solid and this lens is over 2.3kg.. Can't wait to see the results from this shoot....

Destiny...

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Last edited by Destiny on Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 pm 

tived wrote:

using lens' such as the 300mm 2.8 or larger, are they able to hold them still with no slack or slip? on a Nikon D3 or Canon 1D

Henrik

Definitely yes - i tested a Nikon f4/600mm on a D3x (together about 7kg) without any problem on Josef´s head. You can select between 1 and 4Nm. That moves heavy stuff effortlessly. It also moved a prof. videocamera of about 10kg weight perfectly using the landscape bracket.

The lens: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3359247334_685b3406f7.jpg

best, Klaus

Last edited by klausesser on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:36 pm 

Thanks everyone and happy early new year from the overcasted Stirling Ranges, Western Australia
Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:17 pm 

klausesser wrote:
tived wrote:

Henrik

Definitely yes - i tested a Nikon f4/600mm on a D3x (together about 7kg) without any problem on Josef´s head. You can select between 1 and 4Nm. That moves heavy stuff effortlessly. It also moved a prof. videocamera of about 10kg weight perfectly using the landscape bracket.

The lens: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3359247334_685b3406f7.jpg

best, Klaus

Is it likely that the Roundshot VR Drive Gen II can handle the same payload (7-8 kg) and still place the lens at its nodal point? My payload will fall in the same range.

I know this has been answered before, but I'm not sure where I could find the info:

1) When will Josef's head be released?
2) Will Josef's head have speed mode?
3) Will Josef's head have xml support?
4) How much will the head cost?

I'm about to make a purchase, and for me, I need speed mode, xml support, and the ability to carry 8kg.

EDIT:

Klaus, I will be shooting at close distances like that; I will make sure that I am paying close attention to the nodal point. Thank you!

Last edited by Brines on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:56 pm 

Brines wrote:

I'm about to make a purchase, and for me, I need speed mode, xml support, and the ability to carry 8kg.

1) well - it´s finished. Josef will write here in January - i´m running final tests.
2) Maybe - i tried to convince him that it´s just a gimmick . . .
3) Yes - of course.
4) Around 2000.-€ afaik. Depends on accessories.

Brines wrote:
EDIT:

Klaus, I will be shooting at close distances like that; I will make sure that I am paying close attention to the nodal point. Thank you!

;):cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:48 am 

klausesser wrote:
Brines wrote:

1) well - it´s finished. Josef will write here in January - i´m running final tests.
2) Maybe - i tried to convince him that it´s just a gimmick . . .
3) Yes - of course.
4) Around 2000.-€ afaik. Depends on accessories.

Brines wrote:
EDIT:

;):cool:

and if you already own T&C's Handcontroller (also part of Kolors Panogear Package) than you can save the 200€ (price reduction of Josefs Head). it can be used - but a software change is needed, so its after the firmware change no longer merlin/panogear compatible)...Josef will deliver a software so a firware change can be done easily...

the xml is stored in the T&C handcontroller. You connect the device via USB to your PC and you transfer the xml files (software coming with the T&C device) to your computer. the xml files can be used with the merlin import option in autopano. and with the T&C software coming with the deivce you can define presets for yxour lense (must be done once) these presets can be copied to the T&C handcontroller and so the panohead can do the pano. this allows individually number of pictures per row... so on nadir and zenith less images are shooted and on horozont line more... this calculation is done automatically.

and the promote control device can also be used together with the T&C handcontroller with Josefs head...

PS: I guess some sort of slot is built in Josefs Head where you can insert different types of coffee capsules, so if a gigapixel pano is taking lnger than 5 minutes on scene...

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

Last edited by gkaefer on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:58 pm 

Sorry boys, I have to hit the lens issue again to make certain I am buying the right lens and feel comfortable about it.. We will be buying the VR Drive II with Quality Mode very soon.. To us, its the best option.. I was concerned about the footprint and the lack of options to patch the nadir.. After chatting to Urs from Roundshot, they are going to make a Nadir Adaptor.. My main issue with the VR Drive now, is the lens.. I would love to go full frame to take advantage of the HDR feature but it's either a camera or VR Drive.. we cannot buy both.. So, I was looking at the 12-14 since its a very sharp wide angle lens.. I really do not want to get this wrong.. I want a nice high quality sharp lens for my Nikon D90 to mostly use indoors but some outdoors.. I have looked at Prime lenses but fail to understand that I could use it with the Drive since it has the potential to produce a lot of DOF in an image, going by the example images i have seen using a Prime.. So.. which lens should I buy??

Destiny

Primary School Teacher - Hobby Virtual Tours and 3D/360 Object/Product Photographer - Our aim is to create a 3D/360 Virtual Tour Shop/Store with links to 3D/360 degree products. My gear, VR Drive II - D90 - Nikon 10.5 fisheye - Nikon D800 with Nikon-Nikkor 14-24 - NOVOFLEX Magic Balance - Acratech GP Ball-head - Nodal Ninja 4 + RD-16 Rotor - Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Carbon Fiber Tripod :) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 am 

It depends - print or multires internet ?
moving objects - fisheye
small spaces (in a car) - fisheye
indoors - short focal
outdoors landscape - normal lens
highres outdoor - tele

if you want to shoot spheres (that is why you would buy a VR drive ? ) vignetting is a problem
primes has the advantage of "little vignetting at large apertures".
maybe you can shoot spheres at f4.0 with a f1.4 prime, but not with a 12-24mm at f4.0.

leifs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 am 

Destiny wrote:
Sorry boys, I have to hit the lens issue again to make certain I am buying the right lens and feel comfortable about it.. We will be buying the VR Drive II with Quality Mode very soon.. To us, its the best option.. I was concerned about the footprint and the lack of options to patch the nadir.. After chatting to Urs from Roundshot, they are going to make a Nadir Adaptor.. My main issue with the VR Drive now, is the lens.. I would love to go full frame to take advantage of the HDR feature but it's either a camera or VR Drive.. we cannot buy both.. So, I was looking at the 12-14 since its a very sharp wide angle lens.. I really do not want to get this wrong.. I want a nice high quality sharp lens for my Nikon D90 to mostly use indoors but some outdoors.. I have looked at Prime lenses but fail to understand that I could use it with the Drive since it has the potential to produce a lot of DOF in an image, going by the example images i have seen using a Prime.. So.. which lens should I buy??

Destiny

If you want to make a real step foreward: buy a fullframe camera and some real good lenses. This step is the most important first hand if you want to go commercial. Buying a lens for DX you can throw away later when upgrading to a fullframe anyway.
For shooting indoor with a fisheye nobody really needs a motorized head - on fullframe it takes just 6 or 7 images . . that´s done manually very fast anyway and you get high resolution nevertheless.

Think about what you really need - only after that think about what you would like to have . . . :cool:

best, Klaus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 am 

Hi leifs..

What short focal would you suggest.. I guess I could use my 10.5 fisheye.. Its a nice lens and sharp... I was just reading other options posted above.. I have my 18.105 which is a cheap kit lens but its quite nice, I guess this would be ok for landscape pano, its quite a nice lens and cheap.. The other lens I have is the Nikon 50mm 1:1:8 D.. If I open it up to f22 it has a sharp foreground and background.. Great for portrait too at F1.8.. subject is sharp with nice blur DOF.. Its cheap and nice.. I also really like the Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S but not sure if its suitable for pano's.. Fantastic for portraits, downside - expensive!.. I had a play with it using a friends camera last year but only for a few minutes. I never really tested it at any length.., but the portrait images were amazing.. I put some on my interactive flip book.. I will rarely be printing.. Mostly the only shooting I will be doing will be full spheres for the internet. I will use my 50mm 1:1:8 D for any baby photos for print..

Destiny..

Last edited by Destiny on Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 am 

Destiny,

I am sure you are in the same boat as the rest of us, we have to make compromised and we do not have a bottomless well with money. First off in order to produce to the highest quality, you need a good body, and the best lens's that can fit that mount. In your case this will be the D4 when it comes out, and get some of the best prime lens's your money can buy, the f/1.4 series is in most cases always better then the f/1.8 even if you can't see it, they are! :-)

Once you got all this then invest in a automated head! such as the VR drive.

I know I have in previous post said to get the 14-24 and I still think its a great lens, but asses what it is you really are wanting to archive before go out spending and also if you really are wanted to enter the highend of the market, is this the kind of clients you have or you can foresee to have?? If not, then you are wasting your money (only other reason would be to buy because you just want to have the best gear - and there is no shame in that!!) :-)

Just re-reading your post, no need to buy the 14-24mm, focus on the 85mm f/1.4 and save up for the Nikon 200mm f/2 - you will make more money shooting baby photos and it will be a lot easier too ;-) believe me I have been there. Get a Pro body such as the D3s or D4.

anyway thats just my $.02 :-)

all the best :-) from the west

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 am 

Hi Henrik.. Yes. I have often looked at the 50mm 1.4.. especially after Andrew Stephens has often made reference to this lens as being a great lens, he always seems to know about good stuff!! I am assuming that the AF-S out of the 3 options would be the better one?? When I first check them out before buying my 1.8D I realised before I know anything at all.. ... which hasn't changed much LOL.. , that the 1.4 is primary for the fx camera.. so only having the DX, I assumed at the time that the 1.4 would be the better option.. I should have read more and realised that I can still use it on a DX camera..
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G - AF-S
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D - AF
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 - M

I would love to own the new D4 for sure.. its my list to own one.. but we have decided to buy the VR Drive and work towards this...There are just too many baby photographers around here all undercutting each other.. A few weeks ago I went to a business seminar and was asked what equipment i had to do the VRs with. I laster saw them talking to a guy who I knew to have a motorised pano head and a fully equipped photography studio... I am guessing they have had some VR before since they said they needed someone who was better equipped to do it faster.. Enough said about my wish list for fear of focusing on my own 'shopping list'... Wouldn't want to upset anyone... ;)

Seriously Henrik, we have hit the real estate trail but that seems to be tied up and they also want it really for really cheap.. Too cheap..!
We have also done countless door knocks, flyers and advertising in the all the local rags.. We only had one taker from that.. We also rented an areas in the local shopping centre but its really hard and expensive to rent.. I love taking baby photos... and portraits.. but parents just don't want to spend the money..
A friend of ours who has been in photography for many years and is currently traveling around Australia, says that he doesn't get much paid work these days at all.. So he is giving up and moving back to Bundaberg for a while..
I have had more inquires with the VR stuff than anything else.. I have lost at least 3 good jobs for not having the right gear.. They ask me what gear I had.. I assume they also asked the other tenders this too.. I have seen their work but its not so nice.. They do not use kolor software either.. They have in fact phoned me on a couple of occasions asking me how to do certain things.. I said I was unable help since I don't use EasyPano Software... They might have the better gear but they sure don't now much about how to make a VR.. oh well.. They use the MK pano head..

I have researched and come to the conclusion that for features, value for money and good engineering, the VR Drive II is the best option... It also has some nice assessors.. When they make the Nadir Adaptor I will buy one of those too..

So the plan now is to buy the VR Drive II + Quality Mode with the 1.4 lens as you suggested.. but keep with m D90 for now.. Can I assume that the AF-S is the one I should be buying??? and I will be looking more into the 85mm f/1.4.. this is a nice lens..

Destiny..

PS.. is this the one.. http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/nikon-af-s-nikkor-50mm-f1.4g-lenses.html
This mob seem to have the best price.. also for the D3s.. no one has it cheaper... :)

Last edited by Destiny on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 am 

Thats good Destiny, sounds like a plan :-)

I believe that the AF-s is the latest but just check, and that it will work on both a croped camera as well as a Full frame and that it will Auto-focus on both.

At least if you get the VR now you can make images with it, and practice practice...get really good at it, build a good workflow so you can produce fast, this way you can become more competitive, DO NOT UNDER SELL YOURSELF OR YOUR FELLOW PHOTOG... you be shooting yourself in the foot.

If this other guy there is looking for someone with better gear and experience, show them a good job, but be strong in your pricing. You need to add value to your own time!! even if this is not your primary job beause one day it might be and then its really hard to work up the price to a more accurate value of the job.

In photography - you need to be a business Wo-Man first, brilliant marketer, then a good photographer and finally an Artist. If you do it this way you will be able put money on the table and be able to put your potential kids through UNI :-) or have nice fancy holidays ;-)

Also use whatever gear hardware and software that will get your work done

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 am 

Yes, I have a few friends who have bought from there - expect a huge postage fee like AUD$100+
but still very good prices

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:37 am 

Thank you Henrik... We are looking at all our options.. Our first choice was to do baby and portraiture...but we were led into the VR area which I like very much. I really love my NN4 and D90 with 10.5. I will always keep my NN4, its really nice to use.. We have decided not to worry about what others are doing.. We will have a price for our work and that will be it. What do you think about his setup.. http://www.backdropsource.com.au/750_watt_Continuous_Light_Kit_with_Umbrellas_Backdrop_and_a_Support_System/P2141/bdus/ProductsInfo.aspx

Destiny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 am 

continouse light ...hmm, it may be easier to work with at first but I would use flash setup for a studio, with very large soft-boxes

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:05 am 

I realise that Henrik.. But I found it to be a lot better with babies... They really do not like the Flash! I have computer software too that can capture an image on green chroma, a flash setup also tends to cause issues.. My aim is to keep a bank of background images on the laptop with some extra props.. Soft continuos large soft boxes sounds good too.. I can also use the my 700 flash set low and wide..

It really is a fill in the gaps thing.. My main aim is to setup my VR Drive, with as you suggested the Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G - AF-S... for my VR work.. As for portraits, I had the D version of this 85 on my list for ever but this G version is the newest.. Its a wonderful portrait lens.. Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G Classic Portrait Lens.

I need to put my business women hat on and keep my teaching hat at home... ;).. The next time I go to a business meeting I need to be a lot more of a sales women.. Thank for all your advice Henrik.. I really do appreciate it all..

When I buy my VR Drive, I will post up a VR of my new Photography studio.. done on the el'cheap'O.. hey, a few nice photos on the wall, a few lights with a laptop and camera mounted on tripod with my VR Drive showcased near by and customer will think I am a pro.. hehe..

Destiny..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:38 am 

Photog biz is tough here in Oz, in particular for who come in late to the biz (well 10 years ago for me but...) where we come from another occupation. We may not have the diplomas on the wall but can shoot like a pro. But we need to be able to sell like a Pro, shooting is almost 2nd. Being able to sell. I don't mean to be discriminating at all but use ALL your assets. Its who can talk the talk and walk the walk who will get that sale - its not always the product that sells but the talk.

I have worked for one portrait studio and there we do not sell products - we sell experiences - the same was said about a top 200 restaurant I worked at in Europe - it isn't just about the food its the experience.

When I say the experience in phtography I mean its the experience that the sitter and the people involved get from sitting and its the experience that goes on ever time they look at that image(s)

You may not like all the marketing ploys that are being made to get you to buy or sell your snaps ;-) they are really bit*hes/wolfes who goes directly for your wallet and will leave your heart on the floor as they walk through you to the next....mind you they will bleed your wallet dry doing so.... we would easily make 5-10k sales from a 15-30min shoot (wish it was mine - I was the one who would correct the mistakes done during the shoots - retouching/shooting)

To flash and not too flash....if you want sharp photos then use flash... your softbox is just not big enough if they don't like it ....look at Anne Geddes photos... they are all flash lid, but with 8x8' banks on all sides

:-)

I am sure you know what you are doing, these are just my experience, take from it what you think will be good for you, but you have to be tough and incredible gentle at the same time ;-)

Henrik

PS: though I am not a Nikon shooter - the 85mm f/1.4 is beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:12 am 

Hard to say the least.. Everyone is a pro these days with a digital camera.... I have seen lots of Anne Geddes photos.. Some i like but some are a bit strange.. Are you sure they are all flash lit.. there is a lot of shadowing in many of them.

"but you have to be tough and incredible gentle at the same time ;-)".... I am.... LOL..or I will be ;)

I have a chance to do some brand new real eastate in March.. It is my hope I will have my VR Drive by then so I need to make sure I have my actions down pat.. its all for free but thats the game in getting content for my new web site which seems to be taking a long long time to build.. I have only gotten the foundation done.. I need content and text... But I am working hard on it.. I have to change the link as the moment it won't let you go back.. http://www.destinyvirtualtours.com/DPSnew/index.html#/home

emm back to cooking for baby dinner.. LOL..

Thank you Henrik.. I always get a lot out of our chats.. probably pee a few off.. To bad..!!

Destiny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:27 am 

Yes, Every Dog and its owner is a Pro today with a camera ....I was once too, boy I was hot! then came the long road ahead of learning...man thats almost 15 years ago!

The advantage of Digital is that you are able to learn alot faster, and with the help of all the great people that makes the internet so great, you have many many mentors who can help you on that journey, however u still have to do the shooting yourself. Eventually you will be a Pro, if you work hard enough. However you are only a pro if you can make money form it, that is what stands between an amateur and a Professionel - unfortunately they don;t teach you that at TAFE or UNI, there its only the arty farty that counts...the more naked bodies you can stack together in a shot in the most awkard positions that higher the grade...and it helps if you can write some B/S about that it made you feel like when you meet your first boy/girl friend.... i am sure you get the point ;-)

Photography should be an apprenticship - where you work under a "Master" - its a craft!

Enjoy dinner :-) let me know when you get your VR, I am dreaming of one too or perhaps Josefs... not sure yet

Henrik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am 

Hey.. I sent an email to LizardQ boys asking them what lens they use on their motorised head... this is what they said... Interesting...

PS.. I remember checking this lens out before.. Its is a very nice lens.. sharp too.. http://carrigman.blogspot.com/2010/06/canon-ef-15mm-f28-fisheye-lens.html

Hi Destiny,

we're using the Canon EF 15mm f2.8 fisheye lens. For our purposes it is the best compromise between image quality (sharpness! The Sigma fisheye is not as good), weight and size. Using a full frame fisheye allows us to take a full spherical 100 megapixel image with 6 shots, allowing a capture time of only 15 seconds (without bracketing).

Best regards,
Stefan.

--
LizardQ GbR
Metzer Strasse 77
D-66802 àœberherrn
Germany

Last edited by Destiny on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:08 am 

got that lens - to me its more of a gimic but i do sphears
lots of CA from memory

the new 8-15mm though is suppose be amazing (according to a friend of mine - little to no CA)

H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 am 

oh... I have just checked it out on B&H.. also looked at some images .. nice... but only for Canon.. and expensive... You just cannot take anything for granted until you actually test it out for yourself.. Sometimes .emm, often it comes down to skill and H/W.. I am still in my apprenticeship mode so oh hum don't ask me.. ;) The specs look good.. I need a job in a camera store.. :)

L-Series Optics180° Diagonal Angle of ViewProduces Circular & Full Frame ImagesFast Ultra-Sonic Motor (USM) AutofocusUltra-Low Dispersion (UD) GlassFloating Focus SystemClose Focus - 6.2" / 0.16 mRear Gel Holder Up to 3 Pre-Cut FiltersSubwavelength Structure CoatingProtective Fluorine Lens Coating

Destiny..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 pm 

Destiny wrote:
A few weeks ago I went to a business seminar and was asked what equipment i had to do the VRs with. I laster saw them talking to a guy who I knew to have a motorised pano head and a fully equipped photography studio... I am guessing they have had some VR before since they said they needed someone who was better equipped to do it faster.. Enough said about my wish list for fear of focusing on my own 'shopping list'... Wouldn't want to upset anyone... ;)

Better impress clients with the quality of your work instead with glamorous gadets. When it comes to your fee you have to take in account your investments.
Keep it as low as possible unless you made a stable running business. I saw too many people going down on their high investments before having a single job which
could have justified at all the invstment.

I understand it makes you feel more "worthy" showing fancy gadgets to clients. And you´re right: SOME clients like to "see what they pay for". But i definitely doubt they´d love to pay you more than to a competitor because you use a fancy motorized head . . .

So the more clever way is to build up a website first which shows REALLY fine examples of what you´re able to make. And that starts with the beginning of MAKING these examples and preseting them in an impressing way on an impressing site.

Make your WORK desirable to clients - not your gadgets. FORGET clients who choose photographers on the base of the gadgets these photographers work with - they´ll never
bring you reliable business . . because they show a lack of experiences acting this way.

I use to work for high-grade advertising agencies - nobody in such a highly professional agency looks at which equipment a photographer uses. They´re ONLY interested
in the work´s quality.
If you can´t deliver high quality - no truck packed with all the best of equipment in the world can get you a job. IF you can give them high-class quality they don´t care about you use a Lomo or a pinhole camera or whatever . . . it´s the results which count and earn you money. ONLY the results.

best, Klaus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next