Best lens for gigapixel architecture photography  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
lorenzzz

Best lens for gigapixel architecture photography

by lorenzzz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi , I would like to buy a specific zoom lens for canon eos 550 d . The purpose is to do gigapixel photos about exterior houses .
Can anybody suggest a good lens for this specific gigapixel picture .

Thank You Very Much

Lorenzo

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi!

Depends on how Giga your Gigapixel is supposed to become of course :-)
Instead of a zoom i suggest an 85mm. The Canon 1,8/85mm is said to be an excellent lens and it´s cheap nevertheless.
Another very fine lens is the 2,8/100mm Macro - razorsharp, non ditortions . . very, very good. And also cheap.

Both are great lenses for your purpose.

The only real good zoom which imho is comparable to prime lenses is a rather expensive Nikon zoom.
You go crazy having to compensate CAs on 300 images . . .

I myself use an old manual Nikon 1,4/85mm from 1983 for highres-panos of not too much Gigapixels. Excellent lens - no CA, no distortions, fast. Superb sharpness. Use it on a D3x and on a 5D2 (with Novoflex-adapter ring).

see it here: http://www.s341703522.online.de/Index.html 5D2, 4 Gigapixel (some blurry parts because we stood on a slightly vibrating bridge).
and here - shot with a 20D (1,6 crop) several years ago - spherical projection:
www.klausesser.de/5_5_ganz.jpg
www.klausesser.de/5_5_100.jpg
www.klausesser.de/5_5_100_2.jpg

85mm and 100mm are excellent for shooting architecture outdoors.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
kiamara

by kiamara » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm new to Giga and I find that when I try a vertical panorama, the working stitched image is squashed at the top and I must rotate the image so that I can work on it. Is there a way to flip the working window and pan and scroll the vertical stitched image? Thanks all.

no avatar
lorenzzz

by lorenzzz » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:35 am

Hi Klaus ,

first of all compliment for http://www.s341703522.online.de/Index.html gigapixel panorama, I wish i could reach this result !
second of all thank you very much for your advices !

As a beginner and enthusiastic photographer , if you don't mind I ask you the difference bertween 2,8/100mm Macro and 1,8/85mm , that because I like to do macro pictures ...So if you said that are almost the same for architecture outdoors I will buy the second one .

Thank You and have a good day.

Lorenzo

no avatar
tived

by tived » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:24 am

i second using an 85mm lens though in my case its the Canon 85mm f/1.2L

second to that is the Canon 135 f/2L and i wished i had the 200mm f/2L IS

i have used my 300mm f/2.8L IS and its beautiful.

but my stansard lens 24-70mm f/2.8L is fine but the above is better

Henrik

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:53 pm

lorenzzz wrote:As a beginner and enthusiastic photographer , if you don't mind I ask you the difference bertween 2,8/100mm Macro and 1,8/85mm , that because I like to do macro pictures ...So if you said that are almost the same for architecture outdoors I will buy the second one .

The 85mm is a very good lens at a reasonable price. I´ts as good as the very expensive 1.2 - but if you need the speed . . The 100mm Macro also is very fine - not just for the price.
Basically they´re both very good for architecture - if you don´t need the higher pixel-amount with a 105mm take the 85. If you want to do macos also, take the 100mm Macro - it´s very fine for non-macro also. And it´s a good lens for closeup portraits with blurred backgrounds.
My personal strategy is to use manual Nikon lenses wherever i can. They´re fantastic - no distortions, no visible CA. And no EXIFs . . :cool:
For architectural stitches i prefer to use a Nikon 2,8/35mm Ais - razorsharp @f8/11, no CAs, no distortions. Perfect lens for stitching with fullframes - DX anyway - and you never get in trouble with DOF.
But: no EXIFs (i don´t need them anyway, APG does very fine without).

best, Klaus

no avatar
wjh31

by wjh31 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:58 pm

IF i may butt in for a moment, Klaus can i ask how you handled focus for that 4 gigapixel 360 degree image. 85mm is starting to get quite long, so did you stop right down or adjust the focus as the panorama progressed?

no avatar
klausesser

by klausesser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 pm

wjh31 wrote:IF i may butt in for a moment, Klaus can i ask how you handled focus for that 4 gigapixel 360 degree image. 85mm is starting to get quite long, so did you stop right down or adjust the focus as the panorama progressed?

Hi!

I used hyperfocal setting for f8.
Used live view for precise focusing.

Best, Klaus

P. S.: i rendered without sky and ground -
because of the data-size. This way the image is
about 9GB in Photoshop - otherwise it's about
37GB.
Last edited by klausesser on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
lorenzzz

by lorenzzz » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank you Klaus I think I'm going to buy the 85 mm have a good day
Lorenzo

no avatar
bernardcustard

by bernardcustard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:31 pm

Congrats Klausesser i like your quality of your work, by the way. Which hardware for shooting the pictures you use? Merlin, epicpro, roundshoot. I´m want to shoot one with a 100macro from Zeiss, but i didn´t had enough time to do it !!!! :(. Basically i´ve got almost the same set up you used, but with the zeiss. Thanks in advanced and again congrats.

gkaefer

by gkaefer » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:18 pm

addon to 85mm... I recently did some panos with a samyang 85mm 1.4 lens... certenly not the canon quality, but for only 250€ ;-)) really not bad...
http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/product_info.php?products_id=1354&language=en
Liebe Gresse,
Georg

PS: to be faster than Klaus ;-)) I think Klaus is using the merlin, but in last time heavily testing Josefs upcoming new head....
http://www.kolor.com/forum/t12379-josefa-s-head-time-for-spheres
(theres a second thread I did not find about Josefs head....)

no avatar
bernardcustard

by bernardcustard » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:23 am

Many thanks gkaefer, it´s only for curiosity i own one but i´m seriously considering to buy one roundshot. I would try to do one with the macro and see how are the results :). Again thanks, i´m new on Kolors forums!!!.

Return to Hardware