What motorized head?  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
no avatar
pns

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by pns » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 am

claude,
thanx for your willingness to help too.
current camera is a nikon d200, but that may change in the future. what if it were, say, a nikon 5000 or 700, or a canon 7d or 5d2? is there a list of cameras truly compatible vs those that require modification of the crown/dovetail mount [1]?
current lenses include a 10.5mm fisheye, as well as 20mm, 50mm and 80-200mm "rectilinears".
i hope to automate shooting full sphericals with the 20 or the 50 and exposure brackets (with fewer images as i approach the poles, etc), as well as some partials with the zoom.
since i also sometimes shoot with the fisheye, if i can't get the npp right with that on the merlin, i would have to carry a manual head as well.
without getting bogged down in discussions about the need to always get the npp just right, i'd like to get it right at least for the sphericals, regardless of lens (10.5 thru 50).
is this too much to hope for?
cheers,
pns

[1] on a side note, i find it less than candid (to put it mildly) that the kolor store neglects to inform potential buyers that their "complete and professional solution" may not allow "compatible cameras" to be mounted to the lens npp without modification to the hardware.
and, btw, the "List of compatible cameras" link at kolor (but not at skivr) has been down for some time. is that to try to save face?!

(slightly edited for clarity a few minutes later)

claudevh wrote:Hello "pns"

Could-you inform us about your(s) camera(s) and lenses and about the Pano type you want to achieve (Gigapix, 360 etc...)
On basis of that whe will be able to say what you will need ...
I believe that you have mis-understand what Andrew have said ...
Most then probably "One" Merlin head will cope with what you want to achieve !!!
Last edited by pns on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:53 pm

pns wrote:claude,
thanx for your willingness to help too.
current camera is a nikon d200, but that may change in the future. what if it were, say, a nikon 5000 or 700, or a canon 7d or 5d2? is there a list of cameras truly compatible vs those that require modification of the crown/dovetail mount [1]?

Claude produced a table that lists that information but I can't find it right now - but it's fairly simple to define.

If the dimension from the base of the camera to the centre of the lens mount is more than 40mm then you' will need need to make some modification if yoiu wish to mount the camera/lens at the NPP in portrait orientation. This can be very simple to achieve or not, depending on how much greater this dimension is on your camera body. A lens with a very 'fat' (large diameter) barrel can also present a challenge in some cases.

FWIW my Nikon D40 fits perfectly with no mods. (other than using a GentLED-IR device to trigger the shutter because the D40,D40X and D60 don't support a wired remote) with Nikon 10.5mm FE, Sigma 8mm FE, Nikon 35mm and 50mm rectilinear lenses. the 50mm seems to be a nice lens for higher res. sphericals on a DX body with the Merlin; it's relatively inexpensive, light, compact, distortion free and has no focus creep and of course no risk of zoom creep.
current lenses include a 10.5mm fisheye, as well as 20mm, 50mm and 80-200mm "rectilinears".
i hope to automate shooting full sphericals with the 20 or the 50 and exposure brackets (with fewer images as i approach the poles, etc), as well as some partials with the zoom.
since i also sometimes shoot with the fisheye, if i can't get the npp right with that on the merlin, i would have to carry a manual head as well.
without getting bogged down in discussions about the need to always get the npp just right, i'd like to get it right at least for the sphericals, regardless of lens (10.5 thru 50).
is this too much to hope for?
cheers,
pns

Fore-aft ajustment is not that much of an issue with the lenses you mention for the applications you cite for NPP; but you'd need to make some mods on the other axis to achieve NPP because as I recall the dimension between the base of the D200 body and the centre of the lens mount is greater than 40mm.

Use of custom presets in Papywizard permits you to define shooting patterns with fewer shots per row as you approach the poles. The alternative Touch controller also has a mode that operates like this; it automatically calculates the shooting pattern for sphericals.

[1] on a side note, i find it less than candid (to put it mildly) that the kolor store neglects to inform potential buyers that their "complete and professional solution" may not allow "compatible cameras" to be mounted to the lens npp without modification to the hardware.
and, btw, the "List of compatible cameras" link at kolor (but not at skivr) has been down for some time. is that to try to save face?!

I made a similar observation when Kolor/SkiVR launched the Panogear branded package(s).

When they say 'compatible' it appears they mean 'we have a cable that allows the system to trigger the camera shutter', rather than the ability to mount the camera/lens at the NPP.

This definition of 'compatible' may be 'defensible' I guess if one assumes that users will only use the system to shoot partial panos with longer focal length lenses of distant landscape scenes where it's not necessary (nor sometimes viable/possible) to mount the camera/lens at the NPP.

By that definition my D40 body is incompatible - because it needs a GentLED-IR devce to trigger the shutter because it doesn't support a wired remote - but (physically) it fits perfectly at the NPP with the camera mounted in portrait orientation.
Last edited by mediavets on Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Stephens
Many different Nodal Ninja and Agnos pano heads. Merlin/Panogear mount with Papywizard on Nokia Internet tablets.
Nikon D5100 and D40, Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE, Nikon 10.5mm FE, 35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 70-210mm. Promote control.

Previous