Promote Control  

In the panorama field, hardware is also part of the success. You can discuss here about it: camera, computer, pano head, anything
klausesser

Topic author
Liked in: 63 posts
Info

Promote Control

by klausesser » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi!

Got my Promote Control last week. It´s a stunning device when combinbed with a 5D2: via USB and in live-view mode the mirror goes up ONCE in a bracketing sequence and stays up till all shots are done. That´fine for sequences of 9 or 12 or more shots per sequence and using long exp. time.
I tested 12 step-sequences and it´s fantastic. More than that might be very usefull in very special situations like shooting straight into the sun and so.

Connected between Merlin and camera, Merlin triggers the Promote via 3,5mm jack and Promote fires the camera via USB.
This way you can realize combining time-lapse with Merlin moves - i don´t know whether Papy can do it actually.

It´s small, lightweight and very comfortable - definitely an alternative to a netbook in terms of extended bracketing.

best, Klaus
Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance. Coco Chanel

no avatar
tived

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by tived » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:07 pm

thanks for sharing Klaus - I wonder how long your battery will last with the mirror up, and/or if the sensor will get too hot first

been using the mirror up in tethered setup for almost 8 hours, several time i would have to shut down the camera to let it cool down before continuing to shoot. I think i might actually be the LCD that gets too hot, so the preview gets noisy

Henrik

olihar

Info

by olihar » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:01 am

I would recommend you get the shutter cable for the promote, fires of the camera much quicker. it then has 2 cables to connect to camera. The Promote can be used with the merlin with the extension port on the promote, get one signal from merlin and promote fires off all the frames. works like a charm. You need to make a mini jack male cable to micro jack cable to do this.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:06 pm

olihar wrote:I would recommend you get the shutter cable for the promote, fires of the camera much quicker. it then has 2 cables to connect to camera. The Promote can be used with the merlin with the extension port on the promote, get one signal from merlin and promote fires off all the frames. works like a charm. You need to make a mini jack male cable to micro jack cable to do this.

I already have a shutter cable of course ;) - but the point is to lock up the mirror ONCE and fire the whole bracketing sequence without the mirror coming down each time! That´s fine to avoid shaking the camera at long exp. times.
Works via USB only (!) - and doesn´t take longer than locking up the mirror each time before releasing the shutter.

best, Klaus
Last edited by klausesser on Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Been interested in one of these myself but not taken that leap yet. I would be interested to see the what a 12 stop image looks like compared to the traditional 2 stop if that is viable
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

no avatar
marco.lanciani

Info

by marco.lanciani » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 pm

klausesser wrote:... but the point is to lock up the mirror ONCE...

best, Klaus

How was this possible? Does it work only on 5D2?
I tried the Promote on a D700 and wasn't able to lock the mirror once. I have both the USB and Release Cables.

And isn't 2.5mm the jack (that is the third port) for optional accessories on the Promote?

I'm interested.
Thanks,
Marco

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:28 pm

marco.lanciani wrote:How was this possible? Does it work only on 5D2?
I tried the Promote on a D700 and wasn't able to lock the mirror once. I have both the USB and Release Cables.

And isn't 2.5mm the jack (that is the third port) for optional accessories on the Promote?

Hey Marco!

As i learned that way works with 5D2 only.
You´re right with the 2.5mm jack.

You can use the Promote all three ways: jack only, USB only and both together.

https://support.promotesystems.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=14

best, Klaus

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:16 am

I dont wanna miss my promote control.
Using it with a Canon EOS 400D and having standard leses at 3.5 and using high ISO does not really make fun reviewing the results ;-)
here promote control can help.

made some test last days and e voila:
the promote has several modes. HDR, but also time-lapse, manual shutter hold, hyperfocal calculator and for my first followin testimage the one SHOT mode

The original image take with 1600ISO - 8mb size - I shot the image 15 times (one shot mode with promote control) with ident focal & timing settings and used a tripod no flash, no direct light. indirect ligthning in room was one single 120W energy lamp...
http://www.burgspiele-salzburg.at/Galerie/Panorama/stacking/bild1.jpg (8mb)

the 15 images stacked (3.7mb) enfused with EnfuseGUI:
http://www.burgspiele-salzburg.at/Galerie/Panorama/stacking/bild4.jpg (3.7mb)

with CombineZP and the "Do Weighted Average" Preset I got following result
http://www.burgspiele-salzburg.at/Galerie/Panorama/stacking/bild2.jpg (800kb)

using the HDR mode of the promote control:

with 120Watt energy lamp directly pointing to the object and ISO 100 I got with finally brackets of 15 images:
ever single of the 11 resulting images I pointed first the cam on the tripod to set the focus to and than I moved the cam manually back to initial starting point. So finally the 11 images had an offset and were not alligning very well. I did the focus stacking than with Herlicon Focus and got following result (3mb):
http://www.burgspiele-salzburg.at/Galerie/Panorama/stacking/bild3.jpg (3mb)

CombineZP failed here in this case because of the misallignment of the images...

PS: battery: I did shoot meanwhile around 700 shots without replacing the 2 AA batteries...
PPS: looking the the final images in fullsize: I promise for next tests to do dust cleaning before taking the images ;-)

Liebe Gruesse,
Georg

the last example (bild3) in small uploaded for the forum:

Last edited by gkaefer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Christabel wrote:Hello guys....!
Anyone used a Promote Control for HDR bracketing?‎ please help me.thanks in advance.

That´s what i wrote about in my post . . . . ;):cool:
Feel free to ask specific questions.

best, Klaus

UK Pano

Info

by UK Pano » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:07 pm

Think this may be a spammer as they have posted rubbish in other posts
Canon 400D / Canon 24-105mm L / Sigma 8mm f3.5 FE / Sigma 10-20mm / Sigma 70-300mm / NN3 & R1 / PS CS2 / LR3 / Enfuse

klausesser

Topic author
Info

by klausesser » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:13 pm

UK Pano wrote:Think this may be a spammer as they have posted rubbish in other posts

ah - ok, didn´t dig that. :cool:

thx, Klaus

no avatar
360icon

Info

by 360icon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 am

Klaus

Hello

I was on the edge of buying the Promote and it reads on there site it will not work in HDR mode on a 5D M2, but it looks like it does the way your doing it! - Could you post a link to the Merlin you are using and a image of of your setup - Please. I am trying to make the same exact set up and would like to order the correct stuff when I place the order.

Thanks!!
All Else Passes, Art Alone Endures.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:34 am

360icon wrote:Klaus

Hello

I was on the edge of buying the Promote and it reads on there site it will not work in HDR mode on a 5D M2, but it looks like it does the way your doing it! - Could you post a link to the Merlin you are using and a image of of your setup - Please. I am trying to make the same exact set up and would like to order the correct stuff when I place the order.

Thanks!!

??? I read 5D Mk I and 1D/1Ds MkII but not the 5D M2

NOTE 1: Canon 10D, 20D, 5D Mk I, 1D/1Ds MkI and 1D/1Ds MkII cameras are not supported by the Promote Control HDR mode (with or without CN3 cable).
[... and...]
This shutter cable is compatible with the following cameras:
Canon 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D, 30D, 40D, 50D

source: https://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control-Shutter-Cable-CN3.html

lg
Georg