Night Sky Pano's  

Discuss the various motorized panoramic heads on the market, ask for advice, etc...
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Night Sky Pano's

by zhiker » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:26 pm

Hope I state this question correctly, Does anyone know of xml file to use with a Merlin non-goto head
to shoot night sky pano's? I searched the forum's archieve and came up blank, so I'm just basically
looking for a good example to get started with. My plan is to use Canon T3i, PandroidWiz, Samsung Galaxy Tablet.
My big issue is how to set up sky tracking in a xml.
Thanks..... zhiker......

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: Night Sky Pano's

by gkaefer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:59 pm

no single time tested following myself.... but reading it it sounds good to me:
http://digital-photography-school.com/h ... otography/

so in this example he used a 28mm lens.... with the 600 rule (600/XXmm) in result about 22seconds per image to avoid the trails.
because of high iso used... you need to take several images to stack them later with deep sky stacker to get rid of the noise
So in his example 5 images per position x 22 seconds per image... so after 120 seconds move the merlin to the next position.

I would use a bigger overlap than shooting while daylight, because the stars are moving....;-) and no one should be lost.

Georg

no avatar
zhiker

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Night Sky Pano's

by zhiker » Sun May 01, 2016 2:27 am

To gkaefer:
Thanks for the info and since tomorrow is May 1st and 2nd, are going to be in the mid 80's around here with clear sky's,
I'll head up to the hills in the Gifford Pinchot and use Mt. Saint Helens for a background and put your advice to use
and see how things turn out. So after post processing I should have some results by May 5th or 6th since the weather is
turning back to rain and snow and clouds.
Here is a web link to the video road trip to where I'll be located.
FYI: Around about 2:10 you will see a young black bear heading up the road.
http://www.pnwhiker.org/zvideo/pnwvideo.htm
Appreciate the help and will reply in a few.
Thanks..... zhiker......