MKpanomachine  

Discuss the various motorized panoramic heads on the market, ask for advice, etc...
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

MKpanomachine

by rolly1 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Destiny it finally arrived yea , I can now understand what I did not like about my Panogear ,only just touched the surface of it so far but seems really good cheers Rolly1

no avatar
klausesser2

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by klausesser2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:57 pm

rolly1 wrote:Hi Destiny it finally arrived yea , I can now understand what I did not like about my Panogear ,only just touched the surface of it so far but seems really good cheers Rolly1

Hi Rolly1!

Coming back after some month i realize there is not much progress in this theme, is it . . ;)

Panogear means Merlin, right? Didn´t you buy a T&C Touchcontroller already?

I worked with this combination for quite a time - it´s impossible to beat it in this price-range!
It works very well - but exceeding 105mm the Merlin gets very slow. So i suggest
not to use more than 100mm on it - aside from time doesn´t matter much.

Let me say a word to batteries/accus: i shot many gigapixel-panoramas recently - 1,4 and 4 gpx - as tours
for an artist´s project. I used Nikon 1.8/20mm up to a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300 mm / 2,8 G ED VR II.
The 2,8/300mm is a really heavy beast . . believe me. Built like a tank - but it´s razor-sharp if you handle it
right!

And here´s the point: you need a VERY sturdy head for that! And you need VERY much power for moving it.

I realized that my Panoneed not only moved and positioned the 300mm so perfectly well that stitching worked like a charm and didn´t need ANY (!) CP-editing - even though i shot at very close distances of around 25 meters! for real hires-images of the artworks - but also i counted about 4200 (!!) shots before i would have needed to put in a second set of 4 accus, which i always have as backup. That meant shooting several days before recharging. So never needed the backup-set.

But i needed to change 3 times the big D4 accu EN-EL18 in my D800 due to shooting 7-step-bracketing with live-view . . =D

Changing the 4 accus in the Panoneed takes about 10 seconds.

So i really suggest to carefully looking for GOOD and strong accus or better use an external accu-box on the Merlin when you use a long lens taking very much shots!

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 pm

HI Klaus good to see you back , no there's been a few changes since you were here last , new affordable tele lenses from the big 3 , I ended up getting the Tamron 150 to 600mm , not saying its the best lens on the market but I don't have any complaints about it either , and I have just retired my merlin panogear and replaced it with a MKpanomachine which makes full use of my Tamron right up to 600mm , I found the panogear worked ok up to 200mm and maxed out at 400mm but far too slow to be useful , in a rough test the MKpanomachine took 120 pics in about 90 seconds so that will do anything that I want to do , and it will work with all my lenses as well ,so there's been lots of things happened in the time you were away Klaus cheers Rolly1

no avatar
klausesser2

Info

by klausesser2 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:13 pm

rolly1 wrote: . . and I have just retired my merlin panogear and replaced it with a MKpanomachine . .

Could you tell your experiences?

best, Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Klaus I have only had it for a week ,so I am still working it out , it's been very windy in Adelaide lately which has not helped with panos ,

It's much faster than the panogear and so it should for the price Ha

And I really like the continuous mode ,

packs up really small fits in the laptop slot in my backpack , backpack gets a bit heavy when you add the other stuff though ,

at this stage I am very pleased with it , A few problems with XML file generater side of things and stitching but that's probably something I am doing wrong cheers Rolly1

no avatar
klausesser2

Info

by klausesser2 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:34 pm

rolly1 wrote:
And I really like the continuous mode ,

That´s worth a discussion . . ;-)

I guess you live in an extremely bright part of the world? Be aware you need extremely short exposure-times when you use the continuous mode! I found i need at least 1/1000sec even with a fisheye-lens for achieving really sharp images using the D800 - considering an aperture of 8 for getting optimal DOF it´s obvious you need MUCH brightness.

Using a longer lens than a fisheye you need very much shorter times. For the use of 50mm we calculated around 1/5000sec for achieving sharp images @100% using a D800 - ragard you also need rather small apertures using 50mmm instead of a fisheye, depending where you shoot of course, but even in the open f8 - f11 i found optimal for panos/moasics resp. stitching in general.

Of course this is related to the velocity of the speed of rotation.

So it´s definitely an illusion to use (for example) a 200mm with continuous mode - you´d need exposure-times which are not feasible.

I have a formula for calculating exposure-times for continuously moving cameras in relation to focal-length, pixel-size and move-velocity - i´ll search it.

You need to take into account that a camera which spins around a center-point means a very high speed of relative-movement!

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Klaus that would be good if you can find that , its not that hard to get keep shutter speeds up around 1000th second in summer here , we get a lot of bright sunny days , mid to high 30deg temp this next week yuk =( =( , and it's not summer yet ,it would be interesting to try those recommended settings , :) :) cheers Rolly1

no avatar
klausesser2

Info

by klausesser2 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:14 pm

rolly1 wrote:Klaus that would be good if you can find that , its not that hard to get keep shutter speeds up around 1000th second in summer here , we get a lot of bright sunny days

Yes - but in terms of aesthetical images maybe you do not want only harsh and direct sunlight, do you ;) :cool:

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Well klaus sorry for the delay in getting back , yes I agree about the high contrast light being a problem , we try to keep away from 10am to 3pm If we can ,
What do I think my MKpanomachine , I will say it's not suitable for taking pictures of wind generator turbine blades with 800 mm lens , that's impressive I must say , far too big and heavy for me , Klaus I really don't have any complaints with it , it's doing what I bought it for , I am getting much better results than I ever got with the panogear , and much faster , as a hobby photographer it's a hell of a lot more money than I really could afford , but I am having a lot of fun with it , and too me that's important bit :) :) cheers rolly1 ps ( using the Tamron 150 to 600 more with D750 then D800 )

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Destiny that's a good owners manual that comes with the VRdrive2 isn't it , gives a lot of info , mentions D800 rotating image problem in nadir and zenith did you find that , I had a lot of problems with stitching when I turned of auto rotation in camera , VRdrive2 and MKpanomachine must look at photos differently , the biggest problem I have had with Tamron 150 to 600mm is vinyeting at 600mm noticeable in sky area have to process the images before stitching cheers rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Liked in: 227 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Hi... No, I did not know about that.. But I have not had any issues with that.. Once great thing about the VR Drive, I receive regular updates of the software.. So they might have fixed that issue.... My 14-24mm is my lens of choice with my D800 and VR Drive now... Its an awesome setup.. Just wish I could get some paid work using it... Australia is so bad with adopting new media.. Those that are interested seem to think I can do them for the price of a coffee and doughnut.. They do n to want to pay too much.. It cost more to travel to see them than they are willing to pay.. Which to me is ridicules. We have given up trying to find customers.. John put in a lot of effort for me on Linked In.. It all came to nothing.. So many promises... Not to worry, I have no regrets in buying my gear... I am glad you are having fun with yours..

Destiny...

rolly1 wrote:Destiny that's a good owners manual that comes with the VRdrive2 isn't it , gives a lot of info , mentions D800 rotating image problem in nadir and zenith did you find that , I had a lot of problems with stitching when I turned of auto rotation in camera , VRdrive2 and MKpanomachine must look at photos differently , the biggest problem I have had with Tamron 150 to 600mm is vinyeting at 600mm noticeable in sky area have to process the images before stitching cheers rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:18 am

yes they probably have , the VRdrive2 manual it recommends continuous mode for giggapixel photography with appropriate shutter speeds , my 150 to 600 is my main lens on the MKpanomachine , I have tried stop shoot and continuous mode and I agree with what it says continuous mode is much better , no sharpness or stitching problems , I do increase the overlap a bit though , The fisheye is interesting 360 deg 4 pics in 6 seconds , stiches no problems , its finished before I can even move to the second shot with the Nodal Ninja R10 , but I still use the R10 for 360s it fits in my pocket , I have not really tried it with the Tokina 16 to 28 , my poor mans version of the Nikon 14 to 24 , Tamron 24 to 70 works great tried it in my small kitchen at 24 , 35 , 50 , and 70 MM , strange , worked at the same nodal point setting at all 4 focal lengths , 192 pictures at 70 MM big file size with D800 , its a shame you can't get any work with it you never know one day you might be in the right place at the right time , and things might take off , Things might change for me after my double hip replacement at the beginning of next year I might find myself back in the work force relying on the MKpanomachine to survive you never know Destiny cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Info

Re: MKpanomachine

by Destiny » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 am

I guess I totally underutilise my VR Drive but I bought it for pano spheres and not giggapixel images.. I love my VR Drive for what it does.. My setup rig with D800 and 14-24mm is perfect.. Its an awesome setup..

I would not count on getting any paid work unless you hit is lucky.. As you know Australia, new media is not accepted very well at all.. Even if I could afford to get into 360 video, I would not since I know Australia's will not adopt it very well.. I feel that 360 video is an amazing media but I also feel that the normal 360 panos are too. I dabble in 3D Simulation and 3D PDFs, both of which are incredible medias, but in Australia its just about impossible to do the sell job...

I have resigned myself into realising that Pano Tours and my gear are a very expensive hobby.. Even so, I have never ever regretted buying my VR Drive.. I have taken it into school sometimes where my students find it all very amazing..

I would love to see some of your giggapixel efforts soon..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:03 pm

Destiny its been windy or 40 deg c lately , have not taken many photos at all for a wile , I hate summer ,
there was a 360 deg video camera advertised on tv the other day as a xmas present idea , around $600 it's called a ( 360fly ) have you herd of it , looks like an egg ,
a friend of mine does real estate photography in a franchise situation they are getting into VR photography , so you might have hope yet , he was supposed to email me what setup they are using , I will jog his memory and let you know
cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:20 am

Hi... Yes, I have been watching the Fly.. Its one of the better options and its affordable.. Still not what I am looking for though...

I was approached by a real estate a long time ago.. They only wanted to pay $200 for the entire home.. capturing every room.. and they also wanted an arial of the home.. They wanted far too much for soo little.. It would take me way over a day to do one home.. They would need to double that to make it worth while..

You hate summer but we hate winter... Its 34c today but very humid.. Better than being cold...

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:04 am

No Destiny give me winter any day , I can go walking , every thing is nice and green not dead remember South Australia is the driest state in the driest continent , your lucky to live in Queensland , I left Sydney because of the humidity , so QLD no good

herd from the hospital today , I have a date for my first operation only been 5 years , we have a wonderful medical system in Australia don't we ,

I have been a bit slow using my MKpanomachine so far main reason the weather , I have not taken any startling photos with it yet , but I have used it enough to find any problems , 600mm in continuous mode works really well , though I use 150 and 400 a lot ,
the Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre tripod handles the weight a lot better than expected ,

I see they dropped the prices on the VR 2 drive software ,

My friend does a lot of houses sometimes in a day spends lots of hours at night doing photo processing , he used to mow lawns , I think he probably regrets getting into real estate photography cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Destiny I herd from my friend , they are using Matterport setup cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55 pm

I would like to wish everybody at Kolor and on the forum a very Merry Xmas and a happy new year from Rolly1 :) :)

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Been too hot to take photos Destiny , we had temperatures between 39c and 44c lately not good , people think your a fire bug keep stopping and ask you what your doing , how's things at your end of the world , Merry Xmas and a happy new year hope you get the presents you want and take lots of good pics cheers from Rolly1 :) :)

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi... Not so hot here.. Really nice in fact. Probably rain today.. Not worried about that, since we are not going anywhere.. Amazing really.. We had a drought for 7 years with hardly any rain, everything dry and brown and now its all green and growing like a weed.. Heaps more rain up north.. I am in the opposite situation to you.. So much rain I do not want to take my VR Drive anywhere near rain.. I really need content for my new html5 website.. I was hoping to capture a few nice Yachts but its hard to get permission. I am going to ask again when the weather gets better.. I sent you a PM with a link to my new website.

Have a great Christmas.. I will have to wait for hubby to get rich to buy me my Nikon D5.. Buts its ok.. its not made yet.. haha.. But in will be a available in Jan 2016..

Have a great Christmas...

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:34 pm

Destiny start saving the D5 has been announced , as well as the D500 both 21mp , or possible a birthday present :) :) :) Hope you had a wonderful Xmas and new year cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:54 pm

I would love a D5 with with the new Nikon 24-70mm... I have been reading about the rumours for months.. But I will have to wait to win the lotto to buy it.. Its all far too expensive for me.. :(

Still waiting to see some results from your MK.. Its it all you expected it to be... ??

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:19 am

Hi Destiny after seeing your picture of Brisbane , I thought I would see if I could get a picture of Adelaide , not as good as yours :)
Attachments
Adelaide city centreA .jpg

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:37 am

I took that with D800 and Tamron 150 to 600 on MKpanomachine at 600MM , That's a crop from a 110 image pano , our lookouts are not very good , too many trees you can see the city better from the road but there's no where to stop ,

I keep getting a scripting error on full editor can only do one letter at a time , anyone know how to fix that ? cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Topic author
Info

by rolly1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:25 pm

The biggest problem I have had with using the MKpanomachine compared with the Nodal Ninja NN5 and the Panogear is The D800 it only has one memory card slot that is fast enough, I cannot believe the difference between the CF card and the SD card slots , in Continuous mode on the MK the D800 using Raw the SanDisc 64 gb 95 mb / SD card the best I can do is 30 Frames works ok in stop start mode or JPGS , fast Lexar 128GB card 24 Frames it's a shame D800 is not designed for newer cards still would think it would match 30 Frames , Lexar Professional 1066X CF card can run continuously in Raw the MKPANOMACHINE in continuous mode until the card is full , this is with my modified MKPANOMACHINE using 600mm lens ,normally they only go up to 400mm , the problem is very large CF cards are still very expensive, having 2 card slots can be good but it helps when they are the same performance, Had a problem with the XML file Generator but that ended up being micro SD card formatting problem ( my fault) , that really is the only problem I have with a faster motorised pano head , would never go back to a manual one , hope this little bit of info helps cheers Rolly 1

Next