Post Your rendering speeds for AVP!  

Your computers are also an important part in the creation of immersive content. Discuss configurations and computer hardware here.
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
pzd3mir

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Post Your rendering speeds for AVP!

by pzd3mir » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:07 am

Hello,

I must say I got quite confused what makes AVP render faster when I wanted to build myself a new PC, specifically for AVP.
As everyone seems to be telling something else and AVP themselves are not doing a very decent job comparing 5 year old graphics cards on their website I wanted to start this topic.

My Background:
At the moment I am rendering mostly 8 X 1440p @ 30fps into 4k Cinema @ 25fps
In long term I may also want to render 8 X 2160p @ 30fps into ~9k resolution @ 30fps

I do not know what I should buy, to speed up the rendering. In computers, there is always a bottleneck, buying a 8000€ graphics card and having a bad CPU will still give you bad rendering rates.

This topic was made to find out where the bottlenecks for AVP could be and what would be the smartest and most cost effective hardware to buy.

Some say it is heavily GPU dependant.

To cover that I would go fo either a 1060GTX 6GB , 1070GTX or 1080GTX graphicscard.
Could also go for FireGL or Nvidia Quadro, but since I am not familliar with those cards and if AVP is going to make use of the extra resources I do not know which way is more cost effective, Quadro, Fire Gl, or normal gamers card?!

Then others say it is heavily CPU dependant.
So one could go for Intel Core i7-6700K in terms of price vs performance.
Or would it be better to go for Xeon processors?
Does AVP heavily rely on multi core processors? Maybe then even Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 7120D unit with 61 Atom Cores could be good?

RAM

has to be minimum 16GB, any improvement if 32GB are used? Is the RAM speed (clockrates, latency) important?

Storrage:

Probably a harddrive for video output is allright.
( I have 100mb for 30s of Video and that allready takes ages, so HDD write rates at 80mb/s should be fine for that)

One SSD for the system and one for AVP Input Videos and Temp directory should be good I guess or am I wrong? Or maybe two seperate for Video Input and Temp directory?
Would 500mb/s Read/Write do good?

Currently I posses a Laptop with following specs:

GeForce GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5 RAM
    Intel Core i7-3610QM @ 2,3GHZ
    8GB RAM
    120 GB SSD

I can render 8 x 1440p @ 30fps Video Files into 4k cinema @ 25 fps at about 4FPS speed.

For the start you can just post your rendering speeds in combination with your PC specs. But any other intel given contributing to the discussion will be appreciated of course.

Hope to have a progressive discussion on that.

Cheers from Germany

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: Post Your rendering speeds for AVP!

by gkaefer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:17 am

GPU is not used for RMS computation:
GPU is used for rendering and preview:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32863&p=186957&hilit=AVP+performance#p186957

CPU is used to decode the stichted output:
GPU is used for stitching:
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=32614&p=185947&hilit=AVP+performance#p185947

using non pro version of AV: preview is done by CPU, bust is slower by factor 10 than the AVP using GPU:
viewtopic.php?f=124&t=32614&p=185947&hilit=AVP+performance#p185947

renderengine is using CPU:
GPU is used for preview:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31756&p=182830&hilit=AVP+performance#p182830

rendering faster with GPU:
preview faster with GPU:
http://www.kolor.com/autopano-video/aut ... ures-table

SLI is not supported, so generally I would say a GPU with 12GB Ram will be better than a GPU with 6GB
CPU: I run a Xeon with 10 Cores ... 20 thread with 128GB RAM... with APG the RAM is partly used up to 100% even with lower gigapixel panos. with AVP I've no practice...)

SSDs give you more performance than HDDs
dont use RAIDS for reading/saving/temp files (for more performance, but less redundancy in case of SSD failure)

16GIG will work, 32GIB better, 64gig make fun, 128gig make fun too, 256GIG make you ready for 4K-rigs projects, 512GIG and youhave not to worry the next 5 years

1SSD for source files
1 another SSD for destination output
1 another SSD for temp folders
1 SSD for OS
yes more CPUs (cores, not virtual cores /threads) will give you more performance
yes more GPU power will give you more performance

I would never go the notebook road less hardware for more money....

no avatar
pzd3mir

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Post Your rendering speeds for AVP!

by pzd3mir » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:35 am

So,

Finally I bought a PC.

It has

Xeon E5 2695 @ 2,5 GHZ 14 Core Processor
MSI Tomahawk X99A
2 x 32 GB DDR4 2133 mhz
1080 GTX Palit Gamerock
2* 5TB HDD 7200 spins/min 3,5"
1* 240GB SSD 500mb/s read/write
1* 480 GB SSD 500mb/s read/write
watercooling

At the moment when I render I get speeds of 14 FPS from 8 x 1440p into Cinema 4k.

I experimented a little bit, when I only had one RAM module installed I had arround 8 FPS, so I believe that the current bottleneck is RAM.

Even with two modules my CPU sits arround ~60 - 80%

When I use ramdisk for sourcefiles it gets lower so I guess it is ram bandwith. You should either go for high frequency or quad channel, to avoid this.

With Autopano Giga I get 100% CPU Usage while rendering and sometimes it uses 50 GB RAM. Sourcefiles are 8 x 16MP pictures.

The graphicscard sits at 20% - 30% in AVP rendering and in Giga rendering it is not really active at all.

Allthough it speeds up the workflow I guess. When rotating I get 50% on GPU and there are some certain spikes but the money is better invested in more RAM and a strong CPU as well as SSDs.

I do not think it is pretty healthy for your HDD as well to read 8 files simultaneously while rendering AVP and it is slow, so deffinitely SSD is a good choice, at least for workdir. On HDD you can store your data.

In the end of course everything depends on what sourcefiles you have.

Still hope that this is at least a bit helpful for you.