Linux laptop specs for APP?  

Your computers are also an important part in the creation of immersive content. Discuss configurations and computer hardware here.
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
Herve5

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Linux laptop specs for APP?

by Herve5 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:16 pm

I am currently using APP version 3.7 on a relatively old macbook pro (OSX 10.8.5, 16G RAM, 2.7GHz Corei7 from a couple of years ago), and as I don't like the evolutions Apple is adding in their OS, I cannot upgrade to Kolor latest softwares.

Because of this, and as my mac is slowly ageing, I consider switching to a Linux system.

I didn't fully converge yet, but if I have to decide now I'd most probably select a model from the German Tuxedo, a 15' screensize among these : http://www.tuxedocomputers.com/Linux-Hardware/Linux-Notebooks/15-6-Zoll.geek
My intention is to try going beyond my present mac specs, as concerns processor, RAM and HD, but my main two concerns relates to the graphic card and the actual Linux OS flavor.

1) will the latest linux version of APP support recent Intel graphics cards (e. g. Intel 520), or is it better (or worse?) if I switch to an NVIDIA (I see for instance GTX970M)?

2) are there preferred linux versions for Kolor? Most preconfigured linux hardwares come with Ubuntu (I'd probably select Mate); is this the best way to run e. g. APP? Or do you have a preferred OS (more efficient? simpler?)

Is the picture different if I switched to APP Giga? To other Kolor softwares?

Thank you!
Hervé
P. S. you can also reply in french

no avatar
Herve5

Topic author
Info

Re: Linux laptop specs for APP?

by Herve5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:27 am

OK, I understand the Kolor help for basic users only consists in the users themselves trying to discuss with zero support from the Kolor team, like happens unfortunately in many small teams today.
I just would have preferred that someone reads this rather than receiving half a dozen advertisements this last week about upgrading my version of PanoTools…
I still will upgrade, with no special “Friday rebate”, but only if I understand the tool will work effectively on my future Linux config…

no avatar
gombanex

Info

by gombanex » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

Ok, it was kinda helpful

no avatar
AprilRussell

Info