Computer hardware upgrade question  

Your computers are also an important part in the creation of immersive content. Discuss configurations and computer hardware here.
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
skav1019

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Computer hardware upgrade question

by skav1019 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:58 pm

Im looking to upgrade some of my components in my desktop to make editing go faster. I was wondering what the software relies heavily on ie CPU GPU MEMORY HARDRIVE. I have a i-7 4750k processor, 6gb of ram, gpu is very basic, and i dont have SSD. I'm just trying to figure out the priority of what to upgrade.

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

Re: Computer hardware upgrade question

by gkaefer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:44 pm

skav1019 wrote:Im looking to upgrade some of my components in my desktop to make editing go faster. I was wondering what the software relies heavily on ie CPU GPU MEMORY HARDRIVE. I have a i-7 4750k processor, 6gb of ram, gpu is very basic, and i dont have SSD. I'm just trying to figure out the priority of what to upgrade.

SSD for faster filehandling
more RAM for biger panos containing more images without the need to swap to Harddisc/SSD, more RAM = Faster Rendering
more CPU Cores speed up some stages of the rendering phase (some others remain single threaded ;-( )
4-6GB GPU for having no waiting cycles using the preview in the editor (GPU is not at all useful for faster rendering)

so I would - if possible - upgrade to 16GB RAM (or even 32GB)
use 1 SSD for source images, another for saving result and one of the both than as temp folder
use a nvidia GTX 980, 980ti or 970. Using Keplers is not making sense (in money case) because double precision is no criteria in auotopano software.
if you wanna do AVP too than a 12GB titan will be the choice because AVP uses GPU for rendering....

Georg

Annis likes this post.

no avatar
pghero

Info

by pghero » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 am

SSD is practically a must-have nowadays.

Now they're fairly affordable.

I remember the days where I spent $800 for a 200GB SSD! Now you can get it for much less.

AkselVerg

Info

by AkselVerg » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm

So, well, let's try to figure out together what you should replace as soon as possible.

Firstly, I absolutely agree with the others - SSD is now necessary, especially when working with "heavy" programs that draw a lot of resources and require a fast data exchange. Read wiki about SSD, there just everything is clearly told https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive. In short, the SSD will raise performance by increasing processing speed and sharing information speed. In addition, your old HDD can be used in parallel with SSD as an additional hard disk. Here are reviews on some top-end SSDs from different manufacturers, I would recommend that you take an SSD of at least 240 GB https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/ssds

Secondly, what kind of RAM do you have (I advise you to read the differences between DDR3 and DDR4 http://www.pcgamer.com/the-differences- ... -ddr4-ram/)? If DDR3, then I strongly recommend that you put DDR4 and preferably (but not necessarily) 2 8GB slots (or at least 2 4GB slots), the more RAM you have, the more processes you can run on your computer without reducing performance, "Heavy" programs seem to make the resources of PC to fly away into a black hole, so there will be definitely good idea to upgrate RAM.

Well and in the third - a video card, here it is difficult to advise something. I would prefer the GeForce at least 900 and upper series. But AMD will do well too, I do not understand much in other brand`s video cards, since I'm a fan of GeForce. Here you have to decide for yourself)

Hope that my information would be helpfull) =D
More skulls for the skull throne

no avatar
AprilRussell

Info

by AprilRussell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 am

if you wanna do AVP too than a 12GB titan will be the choice because AVP uses GPU for rendering....
happy room