"Column" mount for a pano head?  

Discuss the various manual panoramic heads on the market, ask for advice, etc...
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
marmite

Topic author
Liked in: 2 posts
Info

"Column" mount for a pano head?

by marmite » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:51 pm

G'day folks

I'm wondering what solutions people have used where a normal tripod is even more of a hinderance than normal (the ideal solution being a camera that hovers effortlessly in mid-air around the entrance pupil =D ).

Two specific examples are:

1) Where you want to get a view vertically down almost underneath the camera, but a tripod prohibits you from getting close enough to the "edge" (e.g. over the side of a bridge with narrow railings).

2) A very confined space where the floor area is much smaller than that of the tripod leg area.

So the device I'm envisaging would be maybe a weighted column with a head on top, such that the surface area of the column base would be around 15-20cm across, maybe with levelling feet. I appreciate that to be stable a) the floor would have to be pretty even and b) a considerable weight may be needed in the base. So this isn't kit you'd want to carry around all day or be able to use everywhere, but may be useful in specific circumstances. And being height-adjustable may be another challenge in itself.

Is there any off-the-shelf equipment that you have used, or maybe even put together yourself?

Thanks

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: "Column" mount for a pano head?

by mediavets » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:00 pm

For example 1, you could use a pole.

In the case of example 2, I find it hard to envisage a space in which one might shoot a pano where you could not use a tripod with the legs 'pulled in' to reduce footprint. What sort of space did you have in mind?

no avatar
marmite

Topic author
Info

by marmite » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:36 pm

What specifically do you mean by 'pole'?

I've yet to see a freestanding pole with a stable weighted base and a camera mount that is in any way portable (albeit minimally) which, for this purpose, would be my idea of a pole!

I find it hard to envisage a space in which one might shoot a pano where you could not use a tripod with the legs 'pulled in' to reduce footprint.
Thanks; a fair point, thinking about it.

I'd discounted that idea because I don't consider my tripod to be particularly stable with the legs pulled in to any great degree, especially extended to any height. However just a couple of days ago I came across my old and cheap fixed-head tripod that has radial leg braces. Though clearly not their intended purpose, whatever the degree of leg 'pull' applied that construction ensures maximal support and stability whilst maintaining a vertical central column. Locked off with a grub screw that would be sufficiently stable, were I able to fix a proper head to the column. I think I'll try and find a suitable tripod with radial braces.

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:18 pm

marmite wrote:
What specifically do you mean by 'pole'?

I've yet to see a freestanding pole with a stable weighted base and a camera mount that is in any way portable (albeit minimally) which, for this purpose, would be my idea of a pole!

Like those offered by Agno's and Nodal Ninja.

When shooting a sphere say over the side of a balcony or bridge parapet and you wish to shoot the ground beneath then the pole need not be vertical.

no avatar
marmite

Topic author
Info

by marmite » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:11 pm

Ah, I see. An interesting thought. But I would image it would be difficult to take a good series of shots including top'n'bottom when your centre of rotation is never fixed; it wouldn't even be fixed for the principle 360º shots never mind the zenith and nadir.

It's not so much seeing under the balcony (taking that as an example) but seeing vertically down from the edge of the balcony. Just that 'looking over the edge' feel. I think if I were using a pole in that scenario I'd physically strap it vertically to available railings for the main shots and take the nadir and zenith by other means. So if it came to that my monopod may be just as effective.

However, the blindingly-obvious-yet-unrealised notion that you don't need a vertical support to shoot a sphere has been stored for future reference. I'm sure that will come in handy at some point!