GoPro Omni in UK ? - Shipping Problems  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
skyviewvideo

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

GoPro Omni in UK ? - Shipping Problems

by skyviewvideo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:04 am

Does anyone in the UK actually have an Omni yet ?

The preorder process by GoPro is a shambles,

We pre ordered ours on the 5th of Aug, at the time GoPro's website was stating the Omni would start shipping from the 15th of Aug.. well as we were late in pre ordering we didnt expect it on the date, but on the 15th of Aug we received an Email from GoPro starting our Omni would ship "before the 6th of Sept".

As we hadnt heard anything by the 6th we contacted GoPro.. what a shambles that was.. we sent an email to GoPro service... three days later no response we called them, even though the auto response said we would get a reply withing 2 days..... turns out US cannot track international orders, we were given a number for a UK. Upon calling the UK they couldnt tell us either when our Omni would be shipped, and said that the email we had received was not a confirmation it would ship by the 6th of Sept (think they need to read their own email), and that we would receive an email update when it was available (now the 19th of Sept and no email)

I now note that the GoPro website is saying that the Omni is out of stock, and wondering if they have actually shipped any to the UK at all.

Frankly the whole pre order experience has been badly handled by GoPro, no way of tracking these orders or providing customers with updates, not a great way to manage expectations,

I also note several other people in a similar situation now venting on Twitter, although I hate doing this, I feel that they lack of communication from GoPro, and the very poor service they are providing leaves consumers with little else they can do.

So, how many units have actually shipped ?, does GoPro have a manufacturing problem with the Omni they are keeping quiet ?. I am beginning to think so...

Will be interesting to see if Karma suffers the same problems, I certainly wont be pre ordering one given my experience to date.

no avatar
gabrielnoe

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: GoPro Omni in UK ? - Shipping Problems

by gabrielnoe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

before you buy an omni take in consideration that the stitching has lots of flaws, at least for me it does and I cant seem to fix those parallax issues im getting in almost all my shots

skyviewvideo

Topic author
Info

by skyviewvideo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:31 pm

You will get parallax on most cameras, the default stitch on the Omni optimises for distance objects, its easy enough to fix most issues with masks.. and think those buying the Omni thinking it will provide a flawless stitch are probably not aware of the problems with these types of systems.. ie: multiple cameras from different nodal points..

no avatar
gabrielnoe

Info

by gabrielnoe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:13 pm

Please tell me more about fixing the issues, I dont mind doing some manual work to fix the parallax problems, its just that I dont see any option on Auopano video pro and Im getting a lot of issues, a lot more that the ones I was getting with my older rig (freedom 360)

TO be honest with you I was hoping to get much better results considering the price and the fact that the cameras are already synchronized

skyviewvideo

Topic author
Info

by skyviewvideo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 pm

You will need to use Giga to fix them. we used 6 and 10 gopro rigs.. and tbh using the Omni saves us so much time.. our 10 camera rig is not as bad for parallax..

Omni helps massively with sync, so major head start.. but it cant change the laws of physics in regard to parallax..

The standard stitch is really optimised for distance.. so you need to know how to edit in Gigapano..

Nothing comes near to the Omni for the price at the moment.

Have a look at Aleks YouTube channel for tutorialshttps://www.youtube.com/channe ... F9g/videos

no avatar
gabrielnoe

Info

by gabrielnoe » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Yeap, I need to learn to use Giga....still pretty dissapointed of the omni.

Im getting this one as soon it gets out: https://www.liveplanet.net/technical-specs/ (same price in preorder than the Omni)

skyviewvideo

Topic author
Info

by skyviewvideo » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Woudnt hold your breath waiting.. Nokia still havent sorted out the stitching on the Ozo.. even Nikon have delayed the launch of the prosumer camera.

Processing power on that rig doesent look up to processing video . if it works as advertised will be a game changer at that price..

Downside of stitching on the camera.. is harder to fix stitch errors.. ..