Lens, Camera and Arm for Real estate shooting (Photospheric)  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
slavajacobson

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Lens, Camera and Arm for Real estate shooting (Photospheric)

by slavajacobson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:50 pm

Can someone please recommend me a Lens, Camera and an Arm for shooting Real Estate properties. (Other small accessories can be taken care of later.. such as tripod and IR Remote button)

I've done some research of my own. I found this Fisheye lens:

SIGMA 8MM F3.5 EX DG CANON CIRCULAR FISHEYE

It is a little pricey and I was wondering whether this is too much just for real estate?

Ideally my goal is to find a lens that will only require me to take 4 pictures (from each direction) and then top and bottom, so 6 photos total. Unless you guys would recommend a better and different approach?

Thanks!

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: Lens, Camera and Arm for Real estate shooting (Photosphe

by mediavets » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Welcome to the forum...

'Just for real estate'...

In fact shooting good quality interior spherical panos is a very challenging form of pano shooting.

Assuming you plan to use a cropped sensor DSLR camera body then the Sigma 8mm f3.5 fisheye will allow you to shoot the pattern you describe - 4-around plus zenith and nadir (although you may require exposure bracketing too).

The alternative lenses for Canon bodies are the Sigma 10mm FE, the Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye, the Canon 8-15mm zoom fisheye, and the Samyang 8mm fishsye (also marketed under many other brand names).

And for Nikon bodies, the Sigma 10mm FE, the Tokina 10-17mm zoom fisheye, and the Samyang 8mm fisheye (also marketed under many other brand names).

The 10mm and longer focal length fisheye lenses will require a minimum of 2 additional shots, but compared to total setup and shooting time, taking two extra shots is a small extra time to obtain a considerably higher res. stitched pano.

The Samyang (and branded clones) is relatively inexpensive but it is a fully manual lens unless you get the AE chipped version for Nikon cameras.

You will need a good quality tripod, a good quality pano head, and some additional accessories will make life easier.

It's not easy to make money shooting and processing panos for real estate. Make certain you can make it pay before investing a lot on equipment and software.

no avatar
slavajacobson

Topic author
Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Lens, Camera and Arm for Real estate shooting (Photosphe

by slavajacobson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed answer!

Would I see a significant difference between Bower 8mm and Sigma 8mm? (Price difference is about 600 bucks!)