Giroptic Camera  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
Diner21959

Topic author
Liked in: 3 posts
Info

Giroptic Camera

by Diner21959 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Will APG and PTP support the Giroptic camera...will one be able to import images or videos from Giroptic and use with APG or PTP?

Destiny

Liked in: 214 posts
Info

Re: Giroptic Camera

by Destiny » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:29 am

Hi... The Giroptic has the Kolor software inside as far as I know... All video is processed within the unit, is it not...

Destiny...

Clément_S

Liked in: 2 posts
Info

by Clément_S » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Hello Diner, Destiny,

There's no Kolor technology inside the latest Giroptic camera and we weren't part of this project at all.

I haven't tried it myself but it seems that it delivers already stitched images so there is no way you can use Autopano Giga with it.

However, I don't see why you would not be able to use the Giroptic spherical pictures in Panotour Pro as it accepts a wide range of formats :)
Regarding the support of Giroptic videos in Panotour Pro, I cannot tell you for now as the first beta version has not even been released yet.

Don't hesitate if you have other questions.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 pm

eemm.. Then Alexandre Jenny was confused.. Or confused me.. He told me that Kolor was continuing to support the software side of their new camera, which I thought at the time to be strange.. Perhaps he dropped it after a rethink or was referring to something else.. I am sure I saw a 360 Video with Kolor menu button.. But I guess this cannot be since the YouTube clips and reports suggest the Giroptic is targeting the GoPro camera market, ha.. good luck with that one. The optics on the GoPro are very much better..

The thing that confuses me about the 360Cam, there are no demo 360 video's on the Giroptic website.. Surly they should be showcasing heaps of them.. The big question is.. why aren't they.. I made a comment a while ago to a friend, that now the Kolor and GoPro are working together, where does that leave the 360Cam.. assuming at the time that Kolor was supporting the software side of their camera... I wonder what software they are using....

Destiny...

gkaefer

Liked in: 15 posts
Info

by gkaefer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:02 am

Destiny wrote:eemm.. Then Alexandre Jenny was confused.. Or confused me.. He told me that Kolor was continuing to support the software side of their new camera, which I thought at the time to be strange.. Perhaps he dropped it after a rethink or was referring to something else.. I am sure I saw a 360 Video with Kolor menu button.. But I guess this cannot be since the YouTube clips and reports suggest the Giroptic is targeting the GoPro camera market, ha.. good luck with that one. The optics on the GoPro are very much better..

The thing that confuses me about the 360Cam, there are no demo 360 video's on the Giroptic website.. Surly they should be showcasing heaps of them.. The big question is.. why aren't they.. I made a comment a while ago to a friend, that now the Kolor and GoPro are working together, where does that leave the 360Cam.. assuming at the time that Kolor was supporting the software side of their camera... I wonder what software they are using....

Destiny...

the dev kits are out now... they did Setup an non public dev Video platform (for devs only)
the public part from dev cams is available here:
http://share.360.tv/
(still not final cams Quality, still seems issues, but all known and addressed...)

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:14 am

Destiny wrote:eemm.. Then Alexandre Jenny was confused.. Or confused me.. He told me that Kolor was continuing to support the software side of their new camera, which I thought at the time to be strange.. Perhaps he dropped it after a rethink or was referring to something else.. I am sure I saw a 360 Video with Kolor menu button.. But I guess this cannot be since the YouTube clips and reports suggest the Giroptic is targeting the GoPro camera market, ha.. good luck with that one. The optics on the GoPro are very much better..

Destiny...

the dev kits are out now... they did Setup an non public dev Video platform (for devs only)
the public part from dev cams is available here:
http://share.360.tv/
(still not final cams Quality, still seems issues, but all known and addressed...)

PS: 6 days past Giroptics posted this comment on Kickstarter about dev kits & Quality:

Hi everyone,
Quick reminder on the quality, don't make assessments based on what DevKits camera produce! Again, DK are camera made for developers so they can develop applications based on the tech. Content producers also test drive them to check how they will be able to integrate the camera and the type of content they produce in their workflow (editing, broadcasting, streaming, exporting...).

There is absolutely no point in keeping on arguing over every new video popping up here and there as of course they will always be produced by those very same dev kits, and their known and explained optical flaws. So it's absolutely normal to get artefacts, blurs and so on on any images you see coming anywhere.
Of course the final model won't be twice the current resolution we have right now, but:
- the optics will be sharp and perfectly aligned
- then we'll be able to fine tune them based on final optical specs in different light conditions (bright, low light etc.)

In the upcoming days/weeks we'll see some image settings getting better on DevKits, but we won't be able to show better images without the final optics coming in in July! Plus there is no point into spending time correcting some image flaws we know to be related to the current DK hardware as it would mean re-doing all the work on the final factory one.

Keep also in mind that 360 images and resolution are not to be compared with "regular" cameras, as for an equivalent output resolution a 360 camera will display everything happening around when a regular one will display the same pixel density over just a fraction of that view (so unless you're watching the 360 video in "flat" panoramic mode), you will always feel that regular camera get a sharper image out). Just a few more weeks and you'll start to see things getting better, hold on! :)

no avatar
itsrichphoto

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by itsrichphoto » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Girpotic did display samples on their website a while ago. Nothing of professional value, so I expect they took it all down as it would do more harm than good.

Watch out for Jeffrey Martin's contribution on kickstarter...

http://www.sphericam.com

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:19 pm

itsrichphoto wrote:Girpotic did display samples on their website a while ago. Nothing of professional value, so I expect they took it all down as it would do more harm than good.

Watch out for Jeffrey Martin's contribution on kickstarter...

http://www.sphericam.com

see viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26912

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:32 am

Hey.. Months and months on and the showcase video is still horrible.. This mob do not seem to be any closer to a final product.. I wonder if a whole bunch of Kickstarter investors are starting to get worried yet.. I would be.. How can anyone expect to wait on Pre Orders for this period of time.. I am sure some might be beginning to cancel..

There are a few new options i am waiting on final products.. I am also expecting new innovations to come soon.. Hopefully one that will rise to be a true winner..

Destiny...
Attachments
cam360.jpg

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:59 pm

In comparison with the demo video from Sphericam V2 .. Huge difference.. Really quite nice blend in the sky.. The focus is sometimes out and sometimes there are some strange flick of broken graphics.. But mostly the images is sharp.. I would like to see a 360 video of lots of close up moving objects.. Not sure about the price of the Sphericam V2...

Not sure how we are supposed to view the 360 video as a sphere.. Does it need a player..

Destiny...
Attachments
Sphericam.jpg

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:14 pm

Oct 19th (2015).... production of all early bird 360cams will start with delivery in Nov
Nov 19th (2015).... all other Kickstarter 360cams: production launch with delivery late Nov and December...

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:57 pm

some days ago I was asked for a delivery adress.
150 final production cams were produced so far.
on Dec 9th the main batch production will be started...

so lets see how the image quality changed ...

Georg

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:11 am

Yes.. lets see.. But I can have a guess.. 99% certain its yuck!... and thats being optimistic... =D

Destiny...

gkaefer wrote:
...so lets see how the image quality changed ...

Georg

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:23 am

George, have you gotten your Giroptic Camera yet..??

Destiny...

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:44 am

Lol... No. Not yet.

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:16 am

Maybe next Christmas!! :rolleyes:

Destiny..

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:08 pm

from yesterdays kickstarter update:

".... As such, we will be back to you with a firm shipping date by Friday, February 26. ..."

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:02 pm

....2017 :lol:

Destiny...

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 pm

I was silent a while now...
last update backers got from 16.March.2016:
(...). First and foremost, we are committed to begin shipping on April 25, 2016. (...)

... no footage from final cam so far...

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

todays statement:

Dear Backers,

Manufacturing has shown to be very complex. Based on what we know today, this is the latest in the color release schedule, which we feel is achievable with an 80%+ confidence level.
• Blue: Manufacturing of blue cameras is complete and we are and have been actively shipping. 90%+ of blue cameras have shipped.
• Purple: Starts shipping on May 9th from Hong Kong and May 16th from DC's (US/EU assuming straight-forward customs clearance).
• Black: Starts shipping between May 16th and May 26th.
• Green: Starts shipping between May 25th and June 2nd.
• Yellow: Starts shipping between May 28th and June 5th.
• Red: Starts shipping between June 2nd and June 9th.
• Orange: Starts shipping between June 6th and June 13th.

All dates are assuming straight-forward customs clearance for US/EU. Thanks for your patience. Any questions, please contact support@giroptic.com.

Best,

Richard Ollier, CEO

what shall I say... I opted in for the orange....
:cool:
Georg

Destiny

Info

by Destiny » Fri May 06, 2016 10:12 am

My door stop at home is Silver.. :lol:

Destiny...

no avatar
itsrichphoto

Liked in: 5 posts
Info

by itsrichphoto » Thu May 26, 2016 3:43 pm

here is a smaller and less expensive go pro rig. uses 2x gopros with modified 220º field of view lenses

http://www.izugar.com/product/z2x.html

Has anyone tried out the new samsung camera? Does it stitch internally or does it stitch while viewing on the galaxy? can the files be added? Here are samples on the samsung website. Personally, I don't think they look very sharp and also looks like it struggles in challenging light. http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/gallery/gear-360/

kodak sp360 4k has a top iso of 800 and doesn't have horizontal leveler/stabilizers in the software - so footage will be bumpy if the camera is in motion http://kodakpixpro.com/Americas/cameras ... m/sp3604k/

gkaefer

Info

by gkaefer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:54 am

miracle happened....
2 days ago I got my 360cam from Giroptic.
first impresions:
better than expected.
usage ok for replay on mobile phones
same videos displayed on PC monitor... without any discussion unusable.
nadir patch possible
used in bright sun outdoors acceptable results for vacation fun videos.
indoor... depends on distance to object. less than 50cm noticable stitching errors.
indoor & low light situations noticable/up to really bad noise
until now no way to set camera settings to manually...
would I buy it for retail price... no

try to comeback with real footage next weekend