New KODAK SP360 action cam  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
aurorela

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

New KODAK SP360 action cam

by aurorela » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:12 pm

a friend of mine bought this new impressive camera that has got some nice reviews. For the videos there is no particular issue. But right now, all the pictures i get from it, can't be used in panotour pro 2. As for the moment i don't have access to the camera itself, i don't know if it's because my friend used a bad projection mode to acquire the pictures (the images i get are either circular jpegs or kind of rectangle but no 360° panoramic view so maybe he's doing wrong with the projection modes).

Any clue about this ? did you try the photographic function and is it possible to create virtual tours based on that device ? and if yes, then how can we proceed.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/camescope/ ... /test.html

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

Re: New KODAK SP360 action cam

by mediavets » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:01 pm

Do you want to share some sample images with us?

no avatar
aurorela

Topic author
Liked in: 1 post
Info

by aurorela » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

i found the other topic about this KODAK SP360 with 4 fisheye pics on a dropbox link, it works, as it would with any fisheye, but i was hoping this camera could, unlike the Theta from RICOH, create a full 360° panoramic view (even if it was not covering 180° verticaly) at once... but i realize it's not the case... i may be wrong though as i don't have the camera yet. I'll get the camera from my friend next monday so i will have a better idea and will be able to post samples + let you know if i found a way to fix this.

no avatar
Charly30

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by Charly30 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:30 pm

if two SP360 camera works with AVP . I would buy the software. Do you have any examples? Charly

no avatar
n6mod

Info

by n6mod » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:52 am

Both my father an I have SP360s that we bought to play with. I'd be very interested in being able to use something like AVP to do remappings from the fisheye to other projections. The included software can do this, but it's really, really awful software.
Any suggestions on how to get AVP to work with a single file, or (gasp) alternate software suggestions?

I'll try to get some time to shoot some footage with the two of them back to back soon.

AlexandreJ
Kolor Team

Liked in: 10 posts
Info

by AlexandreJ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:06 pm

2 notes:
- If someone is interested into stitching SP360 together, that's the tutorial for that:
http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/ ... ck_cameras
- Yes, at some point, we'll support 360 videos in input too so you can remap them to whatever you want

strophy

Info

by strophy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:55 am

If that link doesn't work, try this one:
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... ck_cameras

I have one of these and have been trying some still and video panoramas with mixed results. I'm really new to this software so I'm not sure if I should be trying to set control points throughout the image or rather group them together. Ideally I would like to set two cameras back to back, but for now I only have one and I am trying to make a panorama by pivoting the camera in 90° turns on a table. Only two of the images ever seem to line up, what can be done about this? My mount doesn't pivot around the nodal point perfectly, is that the cause of this problem?

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... eye_images

Also, for video stitching, I tried to make a sequence walking around the desk, but was unable to synchronise and AVP put the frames in the wrong order. If anybody has advice on the still image stitching first, maybe I can use those lens parameters to improve the video. Finally, APG 4.0.0 Beta 5 claims that this camera isn't in the database, although it detects the lens parameters from EXIF well enough. Does someone need me to submit this?

Thanks for any help, there's a lot of potential here!
Attachments
[Group 0]-100_0037_100_0039-3 images.jpg
100_0039.JPG
100_0038.JPG
100_0037.JPG

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:46 pm

strophy wrote:If that link doesn't work, try this one:
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/vie ... ck_cameras

I have one of these and have been trying some still and video panoramas with mixed results. I'm really new to this software so I'm not sure if I should be trying to set control points throughout the image or rather group them together. Ideally I would like to set two cameras back to back, but for now I only have one and I am trying to make a panorama by pivoting the camera in 90° turns on a table. Only two of the images ever seem to line up, what can be done about this? My mount doesn't pivot around the nodal point perfectly, is that the cause of this problem?

Indoors? Yes, that's most likely the problem. can you not use a rail to get NPP positioning.

strophy

Info

by strophy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks mediavets! We are looking into this for a low-weight back-to-back motion camera solution for UAVs, no rails available so just playing at the moment, learning about the lens properties and how easily it stitches. It's my first time making panoramas.

I followed your advice and tried to do my pivots around the nodal point rather than the way the "extreme accessory" kit naturally pivots. I was just eyeballing it, trying to get where I guessed the nodal point would be in the centre of a circular table, but the results are already much better. I was able to stitch 4 outdoor axial shots and a zenith shot into a seamless panorama. I think the results show this camera is better suited to video rather than stills. Developing a feasible mount is probably the biggest issue.

I attached the shots below, hopefully this is useful for anyone considering buying this camera! Any comments about the result or what can be done better?
Attachments
[Group-0]-100_0044_100_0048-5-images.jpg
100_0048.JPG
100_0047.JPG
100_0046.JPG
100_0045.JPG
100_0044.JPG

strophy

Info

by strophy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:43 am

Hi everyone,

we purchased a second Kodak SP360 camera and mounted the two cameras top and bottom on a DJI Phantom 1 UAV using the supplied 3M adhesive, then stitching the resulting video in AVP 2.0.0 RC1. We also tested Youtube's new 360 video feature, and you can see the results here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcFWenLucA

Thoughts and requests:
  1. Two of these cameras plus mounts is too heavy for a DJI Phantom 1. The UAV was not powerful enough for controlled descent, resulting in a crash without serious damage. The supplied SP360 cases held up to the impact well and definitely saved us from a broken camera.
  2. Youtube's 360 support is really cool, but I need help testing it. So far only seems to work in Chrome 40 and Android, no support yet for iOS Youtube app or other browsers. Please post your results!
  3. The video is only really watchable at 1080p or above. Unfortunately I cannot test this in China, because bandwidth through a VPN to access Youtube is too low for streaming. Please post your experience and opinions on resolution!
  4. There was a severe difference in white balance when viewing the unstitched video, but AVP handled this incredibly well without making any special settings.
  5. Synchronisation was very difficult, and I had to manually cut one video in VirtualDub to approximately synchornise the two clips before I could get audio synch to a clap.
  6. Can someone with more experience provide advice on how to improve stitching and horizon alignment? I am basically working with default settings here, and I'm not sure if the visible line is due to incorrect synch, incorrect camera positioning or simply not enough cameras. I'm happy with the resolution around the stitch, was expecting worse due to decreasing pixels at the edge of the fisheye, but it would be great to get even better results with only two of these cool little cameras!

Thanks, looking forward to comments!

no avatar
tdjtx

Info

by tdjtx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:28 am

I only have one SP360 camera and can not get Autopano Video to do anything other than playing the video clip. I select the Kodak SP360 stitching preset but nothing happens. Do I need a minimum of two camera or can I just use one? I basically want to unfold the video and upload to youtube. I can do it with the Kodak software but the quality is terrible. I was hoping Kolor's software would do a better job.