Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by rolly1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:03 am

very good ,the picture gives me an idea of the size of things looks a large tripod , before I ordered GH1 I thought about off setting the GV2 so the lens was over the centre of the tripod ,when using it as a gimbal it hangs of the side not easy to move around , I am selling my NN5 and getting an R1 to use with my fisheye and MK for every thing else ,Yes I had second job about 5 years ago and the money went to camera gear helped a lot cheers rolly1

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:14 am

Why do you wish to replace your NN5 with an R1?

Which fisheye do you have?

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 226 posts
Info

by Destiny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:35 am

Do you have a solid tripod for your MK...?? B&H have some really cool deals, still works out cheaper than buying from Aus camera shops.. I would keep the NN5..?? To be honest I do no like the idea of a head held on via my lens, which seems to be the case with the R1.. If I did not buy my VR Drive I would have bought the M series.. More flexibility than my NN4.. I have just found out that using my 50-500mm at the smallest 7.5 degrees increamment is still too much to get enough overlap.. I need the M series rotor.. I have to be careful using my NN4 with D800 and 50-500mm.. I feel its a bit too heavy for it..

Yes, a second and even third jobs really helps.. I start at Coles again in two weeks just the weekend evening shift for 3 hours each evening.. Cannot really do it during the week after teaching all day then looking after family.. I need to pay off my iMac quicker.. It would help if I got some photography work but thats a sad story.. Even this mob who agreed they need better photography still will not pay for Virtual Tours.. Their Penthouse is 8 million $$.. how cheap of them not to splash out on nice HDR photography.. http://www.brightongrand.com/bg/ They are quite happy to use rubbish iPhone images which have been edited to falsify the view.. Really does not make sense. To date they have not sold any apartments.. I offer them a marketing media tool and they turned me down... So I am stuck with stacking store shelves.... =(

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 pm

Destiny I only use the NN5 for 360 deg with the Nikon 10.5mm shaved hood 4 shots , its heavy to many adjustments a lot of times I walk around with it and something moves and I don't notice it and I end up with wasted photos , that wont stitch , for every thing else I use panogear or soon MKpan , R1 light , easy to set up should work better cheers Rolly1

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:42 pm

rolly1 wrote:Destiny I only use the NN5 for 360 deg with the Nikon 10.5mm shaved hood 4 shots , its heavy to many adjustments a lot of times I walk around with it and something moves and I don't notice it and I end up with wasted photos , that wont stitch , for every thing else I use panogear or soon MKpan , R1 light , easy to set up should work better cheers Rolly1

I guess you are well aware that you cannot change pith with the R1 and retain NPP, so why not go for a R10 with a fixed pitch? - I think the option are zero, 5 or 7.5 degrees.

Does Nodal Ninja offer a Mk II rinfg for the Nikon 10.5 which allows one to see the focus scale.

I have an R10 (and an NN4, an NN5L, and an RS2) and lens rings for the Sigma 8mm f3.5 and the Nikon 10.5mm. I bought all these pano heads used some at bargain prices.

I've yet to try the Nikon 10.5 on a ring mount, because mine is not shaved as I shoot with DX bodies so shooting a single row won't give me 360x180 coverage using the R10, and it's so easy to use on the NN4 which is fitted with a NN QR. Neither of my lens rings has the Mk II 'windows' to enable one to see the focus scale and I find that awkward.

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Mediavets I must admit I am very confused with the R10 , the way I read it ,it only works with with the sigma 8mm fisheye , or a zoom fisheye it does not say anything about the Nikon 10.5 ,or other lenses maybe I am missing something cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:50 pm

Destiny yes I thought about the M2 gigga instead off a motorised head ,but I don't think they have perfected it yet , I keep loosing count with the NN5 , it needs more click stops , and it won't handle the 150 to 600 either,I must admit I am not confident in selling the NN5 it will not help that I am keeping the RD16 rotator it could be useful , Destiny my working days are over as far as I know , That's crazy they won't pay for your good work and put up with rubbish , I have the same carbon fibre tripod that you have the 055 cx3 , I think it will work ok , I know Mediavets does not agree but we will see when I get MKpano cheers Rolly1

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:55 pm

rolly1 wrote:Hi Mediavets I must admit I am very confused with the R10 , the way I read it ,it only works with with the sigma 8mm fisheye , or a zoom fisheye it does not say anything about the Nikon 10.5 ,or other lenses maybe I am missing something cheers Rolly1

AFAIK, the only real difference between the R1 and R10 is that the R1 offers a number of user-configurable pitch settings but the R1 has a fixed pitch setting.

The Nikon DX with Sigma 8mm requires a min. pitch of +5 to cover the zenith when shooting a single row (which is what the R-series heads are designed for), whereas a Canon cropped sensor body requires 7.5 min. pitch to cover the zenith with that lens.

Of course you can use any lens for which there is a an R-series lens ring but in many cases this means you will not cover the zenith.

If the VFOV of your shave Nikon 10.5 fisheye is 180 or close to 180 then you can use it with an R-series lens ring pano head.

If you require more than a single row to cover the pano VFOV you seek then an R-series lens ring pano head is not suitable.

The RS-1 and RS-2 pano heads are designed to use lens rings but provide two axis rotation at the NPP. You can buy the upper section separately and could use it with the R-D16 rotator, althought a smaller rotator with fewer click stops would be fine if you only plan to use a Nikon FE.

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 am

Destiny all is go with Mkpaonachine , it will be on its way soon , and GH1 turned up yesterday about to go and try it ,yes Mediavets the shaved 10.5 is 180 deg on the D800 FX camera 4 shots 180 deg , sometimes 6 if nothing moving that's why R series head , The RS1 and RS2 is like I am using my NN5 now isn't it ?? , as long as the R10 will work with the Nikon 10.5 that would be great , its cheaper than R1 and more important lighter and simpler to set up , cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:35 am

The R10 2.5deg works a treat with shaved 10.5 Nikon Mediavets ,so much easier to use than NN5 mess , cheers Rolly1 Still no sign of Nikon 200 to 500mm F5.6

no avatar
mediavets

Info

by mediavets » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:20 am

rolly1 wrote:The R10 2.5deg works a treat with shaved 10.5 Nikon Mediavets ,so much easier to use than NN5 mess , cheers Rolly1 Still no sign of Nikon 200 to 500mm F5.6

That is good to know, and choosing the R10 over the R1 has saved you s bit of money.

Did you opt for more of the mini rotators or the R-D5?

Do you not find it s bit awkward that the ring covers the focus distance 'window'?

How do you choose to hold the camera, lens and/or head to rotate the head?

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:08 am

Hi... My next lens after paying off my new iMac will be the new AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR lens, available in October... Then after that the new Nikon D5 but that's still a rumour.. Oh why not.. Its just a dream, which list =D

We have just come back from the golf club. Very beautiful.. I would like to capture some VR Tours.. So many birds I need to go back one evening to capture some nice photos using my Sigma 50-500mm. Did no see any kangaroos.. The other golf course has heaps of them. HUGE red ones.

There was a wedding party there, the photographer had a huge Canon zoom lens. I think it might have been the Canon EF 200-400mm... Not sure why he needed such a large lens for wedding photos.. I would have use the 24-70mm..

Rolly, have you gotten your pano head yet....??

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:06 am

No I got the adapter to mount it on the RD16 , works a treat , no I just manually focus through the view finder as usual or live view with camranger ,and I rotate the head to turn it , fine on the new Nikon 24 to 70 I hope its better than the last one its a terrible lens given its price point , I am happy with my Tamron ,the D5 yes it will be interesting see what they come up with ,I just sold all my DX stuff and replaced it with a D750 body its going to make a nice general purpose body and the last camera I am going to get , the parks I go to have heaps of Kangaroos in them they are a bit of a worry , you just need to come across one bad one and he will rip you apart , Normally they hop away , Have not come across many birds lately when I have looked , Destiny this is wild Orchid season ,so you might lookout for them, hard to find though , Does sound like over kill for a wedding , 70 to 200mm maybe also , no I have not received it yet , last report was it's finished and it's on it's way to Marc in Hamburg , hoping to get it before the first weekend in October , going to a nice place , it would be a great place to try it out , cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:35 am

Thats funny you should say that about the 24-70mm.. reviews vary so much.. Without VR I think might be an issue. Some say its the best lens ever but others say they wish they had not bought it. One guy sent it back to Nikon but they sent a refurbished one back... If they did that with me I would have sent it back.. If I bought a new lens I would want a new lens back.. If Nikon does that kind of thing I would drop Nikon like a stone and go over to Canon.. I have never heard of Canon doing that..

The new 24-70mm should be a lot better but I guess some lenses might turn out to be a lemon. That is why I buy my lenses through my local camera mob.. I would get an extended warranty with it too.. But.. its just a dream.. way way way to expensive for me.. Not sure if I could ever afford it. But oh so nice.. haha.. My girl friend has the old 24-70mm and it seems to be wonderful. She also has the D4s.. Oh man. I just love using it.. She has gone on a trip so I have to catch up with her when she returns.. She also has the 70-200mm too. Heaps lighter than my 50-500mm. Just about right I think.. but way expensive..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Destiny I would not buy the current 24 to 70 or 70 to 200 vr2 lenses they are just not worth the money they just have too many faults for the money , if 24 to 70 was same price as Tamron yes , and if 70 to 200 was as good as Canon one I probably would , cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Will never be able to afford such a lens rolly so not to worry.. I read about the Tamron.. This mob does a great job of reviews.. https://photographylife.com/reviews/tamron-24-70mm-f2-8

I can get away with most situation with my 50-500mm But its nice to read about all the goodie stuff coming out..It seem with each new lens the prices go screaming up.. But lens can be an investment.. My 14-24mm had gone way up since I bought it.. So I could probably get my money back for it. Not that I would ever sell it.. I just wish it had a bit more zoom..

Look forward in hearing abut your MKpanomachine..

Destiny..

rolly1 wrote:Destiny I would not buy the current 24 to 70 or 70 to 200 vr2 lenses they are just not worth the money they just have too many faults for the money , if 24 to 70 was same price as Tamron yes , and if 70 to 200 was as good as Canon one I probably would , cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:59 am

I think this might fall into the category of "Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Options".. But only time will tell about the quality of images.. But a big issue I see is the weight.. My 50-500mm weights a tone and I struggle to hold it steady weighing in at 4.33lb (1960g) but the Nikon 200-500mm is 4.60 lb (2090 g) so even heavier.. The price in US $ for the Nikon is $1,396.95, and the price for the Sigma is $1,509.00 so the Nikon is cheaper.. So I would say very affordable.

Rolly1, are you considering buying one..??

Destiny..

rolly1 wrote: Still no sign of Nikon 200 to 500mm F5.6

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 am

Yes it is slightly heavier , and the only price I have seen is about $1900 at DDP , cheaper than sigma sport but not the contemporary model, but not available yet , would I buy one no , I could not go back from 600mm to 500mm , my Tamron is locked on 600mm , after selling my DX gear and getting the D750 body , I am not buying anymore camera gear , one interesting thing I use my Tamron handheld a lot the D800 is a bit heavy , so that's why I got the D750 to lighten things a bit it balances really well with the Tamron ,
Now what I have found , the D750 does not focus as well as the D800 with the same settings for small birds in trees , it hunts really badly , ok if bird is on branch by it's self though , just an observation if you are a walk around grab shot bird photographer like me ( p.s. it behaves the same with Nikon 70 to 200 VR1 2.8 so its not the Tamron ) So with these affordable zoom lenses the body and how you use it comes in the mix as well , but apart from that it's a nice camera cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:31 am

Rolly1, have you used the full 51 point focus with the D800 capturing moving birds... Also, have you tried the 3D focus...

Just be aware, that buying via DDP, its Grey products.... No real issues as long as nothing goes wrong... My D90 is Grey... I think I bought it from DDP...

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:07 am

No I mainly photograph birds in trees , the areas I go its mainly small fast moving birds the biggest bird would be the size of a crow most smaller than a magpie , I really have not tried flying birds , I use centre point and continuous focus on both cameras , I must admit I never use any thing else , apart from manual focus The D750 might be better at flying birds don't know yet , I might swap my 70 to 200 VR1 2.8 for a 70 to 200 F4 but I am not buying any more camera gear , no I just looked there for a price Destiny , I always get my main camera gear local , my Nodal Ninja stuff I get from Kolor love that French postal service 1 week delivery , if the German postal service is as good as the French service then I still have hope for my MKpano to get here by the time I would like it to Ha , but it doesn't matter I have not sold my Panogear so I can use that , Have you seen the Kolor catalogue its very good they sent me one with my NN R10 cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 am

No I haven't.. Did no even know they had a catalogue..

I did suggest to Kolor to make a Virtual Reality Shop/Store since it would be very appropriate and can be used as a showcase. But, my suggestion was ignored.. I guess no good. :lol:

Using the 51 point focus with my Sigma 50-500mm works really well. The lens reacts really well, not slow at all..

Destiny..

rolly1 wrote: Have you seen the Kolor catalogue its very good they sent me one with my NN R10 cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:52 am

Destiny yes it sounds like a good idea :) , and very appropriate for a VR company , but I think they would be a very internet type company an office and a small warehouse and not much else or most work is probably done at there homes including warehouse , 51 point focusing works ok if there are birds flying but not so good for birds in trees it does not know what you want to focus on , one interesting thing in catalogue it shows Panogear , but its no longer on the web site as far as I can see , =( =(
one interesting thing you might like to know Destiny if you get anything for your VR drive its cheaper to get it from Seitz and pay in swiss franc than in euros the exchange rate is better cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:57 pm

Rolly1, do you have your MK PanoMachine yet..??

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi Destiny , no not yet , I think it arrived in Australia on the 5-10-15 so it should not be too far away there were a few hick ups with the German postage system cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Hi destiny had a play with new nikon 200 to 500mm lens the other day , seems to be a very good lens , will post a couple off shop door pics in the morning , also MKpanomachine should arrive this week it has gone through customs cheers Rolly1

PreviousNext