Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by rolly1 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:24 pm

should be 150 not 1500 cheers

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 228 posts
Info

by Destiny » Wed May 27, 2015 10:54 pm

I would wrack the ISO up a tab Rolly1.. Shame my Sigma does not have lens lock on zoom increments.. Or at least I do not think it has.. :rolleyes: Its good you are happy with the lens.. Now you are making me rethink about the MonoPole.. A tripod is out.. it causes issues.. so what else is there... There is a harness you can buy for a Video Camera.. Not sure if there is a small version for a SLR. Probably be more awkward to use..

Look forward to seeing more photos..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:53 am

Destiny that was at 1600 ISO , don't really want to go higher then that , Gee these long zoom lenses really add a new dimension to your photography , just like ultra wide lenses do

the good point with monopod is you can do what you want it for, rest the weight off your arms ,
the problem is when you go to take photos of moving subjects you loose all control and I end up with as much camera shake as I do hand holding lens , with less mobility ,

self standing monopod might solve some problems that might be worth a look ?

when I was taking photos in one of the local conservation parks the other day I came across a young bloke who was Hand holding a 600mm F4 and canon 1DX he was chasing the little bird in my sample pic ,my pic was taken the next day in a different park , he should have been there =D =D

I think really the only way is Tripod with Gimbal head , and quick release plate when you get out of range of Gimbal head movement
cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 am

Really, well 1600 might be high enough... Still seems to be too bright though.. What f-stop did you use....

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu May 28, 2015 12:19 pm

Rolly1.. I was thinking that I would put my Acratech Ball head on the MonoPod.. I really do not know it would perform since I have never had a MonoPod.. I really need something other than a Tripod and I do not want to buy much else other than the MonoPod.. Now I am confused..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:47 pm

Well Destiny still can't fault the lens , sharp and fast focus on D800 body , tried my Tele converters on it the other day 1200 mm F13 only manual focus though , I think the result was better than 70 to 200 with teleconverter 400 mm, still trying to master the monopod Ha Ha , I am giving it a fair go cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:54 am

Rolly1, how are you going with your MonoPole.. I have been holding out.. I still cannot find an affordable option other than the MonoPole.... I was expecting you to say it was great.. I guess some might like them but others not... I checked one out at the shop.. To me it will be perfect but I did not take my camera to test.

Destiny...

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:37 am

Hey Rolly1.. Check out the Reviews.. Some really nice photos..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Destiny been using lens a lot , only complaint so far is a bit of purple fringing in some pics ,easy to get rid off in software so not a problem, no sign of zoom creep yet , So basically I am as happy with my lens as you are with yours , the monopod I don't know I can't seem to get good results with it the manfrotto monopod head I have is very clunky , I am getting an Acrotech ball head soon so I will try that cheers Rolly 1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:21 pm

well Destiny my Acratech GV2 arrived today nice quality unit aren't they ,is that the same model you have tried it on the monopod this afternoon as a gimbal head no it hangs off the side , does not work very well at all , then tried it as a normal ball head , that did not work either , both were a quick test will try again , I think it will work ok as gimbal on tripod if set up in one place but not carried around , I do need to get dedicated lens plate, that I think will help according to web site will work with 400mm F4 lens they weigh 2KG about the same as 150 to 600 tamron and your lens so right on the limit will send email to Acratech and get their opinion cheers Rolly1

klausesser

Liked in: 64 posts
Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:34 pm

rolly1 wrote:Hi Destiny been using lens a lot , only complaint so far is a bit of purple fringing in some pics ,easy to get rid off in software so not a problem, no sign of zoom creep yet , So basically I am as happy with my lens as you are with yours , the monopod I don't know I can't seem to get good results with it the manfrotto monopod head I have is very clunky , I am getting an Acrotech ball head soon so I will try that cheers Rolly 1

Why would you need a ballhead on a monopod at all??? =D

Klaus

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:41 pm

He's trying to come up with a viable camera support for DSLR with a long heavy lens which isn't a tripod.

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:32 pm

mediavets wrote:He's trying to come up with a viable camera support for DSLR with a long heavy lens which isn't a tripod.

Yeah - i very well know what a long and heavy lens is like, believe me . . ;) =D :cool:

But sorry - not of my business!

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi Klaus and Mediavets , Destiny is trying to come up with an alternative to tripod ,I have a monopod she does not , I am trying to come up with a solution for her , I have a manfrotto 393 gymbal head its designed for 600mm f4 size lenses , my 150 to 600mm Tamron is about as small a lens that fits comfortably on it , I am just playing around with my new ball head which has a gimbal position , I think she has the same one , it does not work very well on the Monopod ,
Because the weight is off to one side it tries to spin it around , to the front when you lean monopod forward , and to the back when you lean monopod backwards , you are always trying to fight it , I had a play with the new 50 megapixel canon 5DS today that was interesting , still can't get sigma 150 to 600mm contemporary lens in Australia yet in Nikon mount , cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:25 pm

Rolly1, did you tighten up the screw so that the ball is under a lot of friction.. In other words, stiff to move.. I wonder what others use the MonoPole for... They seem to be popular... and the there are many of them.... The great thing about the Ball head, you can rotate the camera to Landscape or Portrait very easily.. I used my D800 and 50-500mm yesterday during my little girls Sports Carnival.. I am getting used to holding it but after a while it gets hard.. My Black Rapid Camera strap is the way to go..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:27 am

Yes I did try that , I did say that I had a quick play with it , I will have another go as soon as I can , but if you look at proper monopod heads , they only move in one plane ,ball heads go where ever they want depending on where the weight is , when you do the friction up tight they don't move at all you may as well not have the ball head there at all , you have to be able to move the monopod back and forwards quickly to change its height that's why the monopod heads work in one plane ,I hope that makes sense cheers Rolly1

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:39 pm

rolly1 wrote:Yes I did try that , I did say that I had a quick play with it , I will have another go as soon as I can , but if you look at proper monopod heads , they only move in one plane ,ball heads go where ever they want depending on where the weight is , when you do the friction up tight they don't move at all you may as well not have the ball head there at all , you have to be able to move the monopod back and forwards quickly to change its height that's why the monopod heads work in one plane ,I hope that makes sense cheers Rolly1

Rolly - the best way to deal with that is to use a good L-bracket for your camera. This way you can switch from landscape- to portraitmode in a second - without needing to change anything on the head.
The problem with ballheads is - as you just realized - is: using the camera in portrait-mode sets the weight to one side.
That´s uncomfortable even with very sturdy heads - i have an Arca Monoball - because you "loose" the center of yout settings.
Switching from ladscape to portrait by using an L-bracket this doesn´t happen. The camera´s weight stays centered, nothing on the head changes.
I use an L-bracket from Kirk for my D800 with battery-grip: http://www.kirkphoto.com/L-bracket_for_ ... B-D12.html

There also are much cheaper ones doing the same job!

Believe me: this is the very best option - because it´s the most stable one. And stability is what you must expect from a camera-stand.
Ballheads don´t belong on monopods! ;)

Basically: i don´t know ANY photographer using a ball head on a monopod. I sometimes use a 500mm on a monopod - i fix it directly on the pod´s Arca-plate without anything in between but the L-bracket. Nothing moves. When i need to move the camera i move the monopod WITH the camera. That´s the way it´s intended to work.

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:47 pm

Totally agree Klaus, ball heads don't work on monopods, But proper monopod heads do work better than no head at all , for bird photography anyway cheers Rolly 1 ;) ;)

klausesser

Info

by klausesser » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:18 pm

rolly1 wrote:Totally agree Klaus, ball heads don't work on monopods, But proper monopod heads do work better than no head at all , for bird photography anyway cheers Rolly 1 ;) ;)

Matter of taste in the end. I don´t do birdphotography but peoplephotography ;)

Klaus

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am

Starting to feel better Destiny , got some of that honey that you said about , goes well with Lemsip max bit sweet by its self ,have not touched a camera for more than a week and a half , Well Nikon have added a new lens into the mix a 200 to 500 constant F5.6 about $1400 US works with 1.4 teleconverter to get it into the 600 mm range ,I guess they had to do something they would be loosing out badly against sigma and Tamron , I am still very happy with my Tamron ,no zoom creep unless you walk roughly with it hanging down , never seem to use it anywhere else but 600mm , there might be a firmware upgrade for it ,but not sure about that ,hear is some sample shots cheers Rolly1
Attachments
DSC_1955a-Edit.jpg
DSC_1822.jpg

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:03 am

Wow..! the first one is really nice.. Love it.!!!.. Capturing a bird in fight using a zoom is really hard.. I have tried but failed.. My issue is time.. Never enough.. The only real time I get is during Term breaks which is frustrating.. Did you use a Pole with these shots.. I am thinking that I can get away with my carbon fibre tripod pulling up two of the legs and using just one.. Then buy a new heavy tripod using my birthday money to capture Panos.. I was going to buy a Pole and WiFi memory card but I cannot buy those memory cards in Aus yet..

Well done.. Glad you are feeling better.... I have only had one cold this year.. yippee.. Lemsip Max is good stuff.... Glad I got a flue jab...

Look forward to seeing more..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Destiny that was hand held ,very lucky shot , actually both were hand held , did not even know I got the bird at all till I got home , will be getting my new robot soon if all goes well , you sound like my girl friend she is always having a go at me for not having flu jab , first really bad one I have had for years cheers rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Well Destiny hope you Klaus and others are well , still no sign off new Nikon 200 to 500mm yet , I am selling my Manfrotto 393 gimbal and I have ordered lensmaster RH1 having trouble with the weight of the Manfrotto ,the RH1 is half the weight ,too many years of being a ( robot ) production line worker , The super fund is the hold up with ordering the MKpanomachine its all been worked out with marc , so its just a waiting game at the moment , have you sorted out your monopod problem yet , The Tamron 150 to 600mm is my most used lens its almost never off the camera , all I can say is I have no complaints yet cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Hey... That Manfrotto 393 gimbal looks far too clumsy.. but the LensMaster RH1 looks far better.. I have gotten my new heavy tripod for my VR Drive, the Auctus Plus 283AT Aluminum Tripod... Its really quite nice... Much more stable than my Manfrotto Carbon Tripod.. I am thinking that rather than buy a Pole, I will try to use my Manfrotto.. Its really very light and I can keep two legs up and just let one down.. It might work.. Not tried yet.. I will put my Ball Head on it.. My 50-500mm is an awesome lens but the weight really become an issue after a while.. I am hoping by mounting it on my Manfrotto tripod with one leg to take the weight will be better.. Since I only had one Tripod, I had my VR Drive mounted on it all the time.. I also want to set up my NN4 with D90 using my Manfrotto.. Just as a backup in case something goes wrong with my VR Drive.. I am sure you will be happy with your MKpanomachine.. Marc will look after you with that.. I look forward to seeing the results..

I have been going out with my girl friend with her D4s and 24-70mm and 70-200mm... Oh man... Just so awesome.. The 70-200mm does not have the zoom range as my 50-500mm but its still ok... Very sharp.. The 24-70mm is awesome too.. We mostly used that lens.. I now know what I want for Christmas.. haha.. Never ending is it.. =D Nikon rumour is that the D5 will come out late this year.. But oh man.. what a price. Then I need to buy the lenses.. Too much for me.. I noticed a huge difference between my D90 and D800.. The quality of image is sooo much better.. I feel that the quality of image between the D800 and the D4s is much the same but.. so many more features partially the rapid shooting and ISO for evening shooting when the birds come out to play.. Very hard to capture a bird in flight with my D800 but so much easier with the D4s..You end up capturing a million unless images just for one really nice one though.. Trying to use my D800 with my 50-500mm, hand held for me is really hard.. Exhausting actually.. I think I have mussels where muscles are not supposed to be.. But using the D4s with 70-200mm is much more doable. Even thought the lens is not light its still heaps lighter than the Sigma..

I would still recommend the Sigma 50-500mm as an affordable Zoom lens but if you have more money to spend I would go with the Nikon.. I bought what I .. still couldn't afford haha.. but hey.. I paid my lone off now so its mine. Good job too since my iMac loan will prevent me from buying any new cameras and lenses for a few years..

Today I mount my VR Drive on my new Tripod.. then test out using my Manfrotto with my 50-500mm :) I only picked up my new Tripod yesterday.. Cheap.. $199 on sale.. Thats my birthday money gone! =( I was all set to buy a new Pole and WiFi memory card with it.. Oh well.. Good luck with your MKpanomachine...

Destiny..

no avatar
Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:28 am

Well I am so happy with my new Tripod. Much more stable than my Manfrotto Carbon Tripod.. Looks awesome.. I have my Ball Head + Nodal Ninja Rotor with 50-500mm mounted on my Manfrotto Carbon Tripod.. I can always use my D90 with it.. The D90 still takes awesome photos but the D800 is heaps better... I actually stacked food shelves at Coles super market for six months during the weekend from 7 to 10pm to pay for my Sigma 50-500mm so I really eared it, only $22 per hour.. Hard work!! But it gave me $1500 at the end, so it was good for me.. I earned the money to buy my D800 by marking student reports in the evenings.. That was easy but boring.. but at $40 per hour I did not complain hahah... The problem with being so busy I never had time to use my gear :rolleyes: but now I do and its all mine.. =D :cool:

Destiny...
Attachments
DSC_0113.JPG

PreviousNext