Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 210 posts
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by Destiny » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:24 am

Yes rolly1.. My beautiful 50-500mm.. Wonderful lens.. I used it today to try to capture a Tawny Frogmouth Owl but it flew away just as I focused my lens.. :(

I would think twice in paying 2k for a 600mm.. Seems expensive but.. I guess what ever you need the lens for it would suit those who need it..

I would like a Copter with camera for the Glass House Mountains.. Some places up there on the small mountains I would think no human has ever been... Its a pity you could not program it to capture a set area of a giga pixel image.. Perhaps you can via remote software.. Not sure..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by rolly1 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:19 am

Hi Destiny sorry for delay in replying ,shame we cant super glue birds to stay where we want them at least until we get the shot ha ha . had a look at the sigma 150 to 600 sport the other day that's the more expensive of the 2 new lenses $2100 very impressive I must admit all metal construction even the hood but its very heavy , The thing I like is the fact that you can lock the lens at different focal lengths 150 200 250 300 etc up to 600mm to stop zoom creep and by just turning the zoom grip it unlocks ,the cheaper one not out yet will be similar to Tamron ,lighter and about the same price $1300 ? ,yes I had thoughts on quad copter early on but I think they have become to regulated after all the bad use problems ,but would be ok away from the cities and people like glass house mountain area or outback south Australia cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:28 am

Now I am on Christmas break I am testing Portrait photography.. I started with my 35mm, not bad, a bit soft around the subject at low f stop.. but sharp on the subject focus points.. Then my 50mm, a lot sharper at around the subject with great DOF at low f stop.. I then tried my 14-24, not really a portrait lens but it is sharp. Soo wide.. Then my 50-500mm, its the best lens I have bought.. Great for portrait, landscape, wildlife and even closeups. its just a great lens. Very very heavy but I am getting used it it. I spin the shoe wound and use that to help support it. One a tripod is much easier. Perhaps a nice short pole would be the way to go..

I set my D800 to auto 51 focus points. Really great for action photography and more than one subject.. I set it to single focus point for VRs.. But there again, I use manual for that.. For hand held I just use the AF on 51 points, which seems to work for me.. I now have a Black Rapid Camara strap so if I lose grip its ok.. ..

Sigma make really great lenses. I am check out others they make.. The only lens I am really needing is a full frame fisheye but there are a few options in this. Not so sure the Nikon 16mm is the best option and its expensive.

I am waiting on winning the lotto to buy a Nikon D4s... I played with one at the camera shop.. oh man!

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:02 am

Hi Destiny hope you and the family are well, fine on the portrait photography ,my best lens for that would be my Nikon 70 to 200 2.8 vr1 ,followed by Tamron 24 to 70 2.8 ,I like my Nikon 10.5 with the lens hood shaved off its only fault is the purple fringing but the software gets rid of that ,4 shots for 360 is great ,my friend is getting the new sigma 150 to 600 sport soon for her canon 7D so that should be interesting to see what its like ,she has been quoted around $1900 which is not to bad price, you think your lens is heavy you should try that one cheers rolly1 ( as you know I got a Camranger I also picked up the MP360 power head for it ,a nice little Lightweight Motorised pano head ,but it also works with Nikon 10.5 ,4 shots for 360 the nadir shot not much worse than tripod on NN5 so that's a bonus I think anyway )

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:19 am

Hey, I would not go with the Nikon 10.5 to be honest.. I would look at the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood. Half the price and good write-ups.

I am thinking about buying a cheap pole to use with my Sigma 50-500, which will allow me to spend more time focusing rather than holding the the gear.. I can handle the weight for a few seconds but then I have to let it down... Just about impossible for me to capture steady video with such a heavy lens.. Its got great vibration control but there is a limit...

Well, I took my time choosing my lens and to be honest I really feel I made the right chose for my needs... Just love using it.. :)

Destiny...
Have a great Christmas rolly1.. I hope the New Year brings you a nice new Zoom Lens.. =D
Looks like Christmas day her in Queensland is going to be about 30c.. Better than 40c last month..

no avatar
mediavets

Liked in: 130 posts
Info

by mediavets » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:53 am

Destiny wrote:Hey, I would not go with the Nikon 10.5 to be honest.. I would look at the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood. Half the price and good write-ups.

If you were to get the Samyang make sure you get the version with the AE chip.

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Happy new year to all I already have nikon 10.5 ,it gives great results ,the new samyang that looks interesting is its full frame 12mm has all the latest bells and whistles in design ,my friend is still waiting for her 150 to 600 sigma sport to arrive ,anyone know where I can get a good lead for my panogear head to nikon 10 pin plug screw in collar type ,not push fit like I have now cheers rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 am

new kid on the block Destiny Nikon has just Released a new 300 f4 with vr 4 stops ,very light weight design another one keep in mind ,had to come sooner or later cheers rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:42 am

Wow, looks excellent but at $2,000 its a bit expensive.. http://nikonrumors.com/2015/01/05/the-n ... sion.aspx/

What has the weather been like down your way.. We have had nothing else but rain for weeks now.. I need to get out to play with my 50-500 but it just been far too wet.. Hot and humid.. Thunder storms almost every day.. Grass growing like a jungle.. =(

I had plans to spend the holiday capturing some VRs outside but not in the rain... I am fed up of making VRs of the inside of our home.. Bit boring..

Thank you for sharing the new lens info..

Happy New Year to you

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:25 pm

one word Destiny hot ,went back to work on Monday the worst 3 days I can remember in 22 years of working there ,40 deg temps high humidity ,lots of smoke from the bush fires which are not far from me ( 25 km ) can't have the air cons on because they sucked in the smoke long hot nights ,bad week ,thunder storms now , Yes the lens looks interesting apart from the price will add that my list, its getting longer not shorter ? ,I did not take many pics on my 2 weeks off ,went looking for summer orchids all I found was a 2 metre black snake and I did not even get a picture of that ,cheers rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:45 pm

eeks.. I hate snakes. Seen some of them in our travels but run the other way... Who cares about taking a photo of it.. :lol:

Yes, I see the fires on TV.. Really bad again. If its not fire its floods.. There will be some kind of fund raising going on for those who lost their homes I would think.. Lots of kind people all over the word. I still remember Bill Bailey donated lots of money for the Queensland Floods a couple of years ago.. We feel its important not to forget that kind of generosity..

Real shame you did not do so well with the Photography during your holiday, I was hoping to see some more flowers.. I still have a few weeks to go so there is still time for me.. I too want to capture some focus stacking images using my 50-500 + D800... Give me a break from carrying it so I can mount it on a tripod for that.

Have you used your 51 point auto focus points on your D800.. Really handy for moving objects..

My list also gets longer.. My D90 was a great start and its always on my desk for a quick photo. I often take it with me in the car too. But my D800 is just awesome.. Soo much better than a D90.. Which brings me to my next wish list.. The D4s... oh man oh man.. I tested it with a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. Not heavy at all. Just awesome.. and the rapid shooting was crazy awesome. Out of 22 rapid shots only two were out of focus.

But.. that is a dream.. A new iMac comes first.. My first very own computer.. but Christmas killed the saving off a bit.. :rolleyes:
Oh well.

Hope you get a chance after the fires to capture some flowers..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:08 pm

Destiny the area where I took the flower pics is all burnt out, gone so I don't know how long before they will come back ,I am going to sell my d7000 and 16 to 85 vr and get a d750 body ,yes D4s is really great camera the thing is they don't feel as heavy as they look ,are they too big for your vr head ? I mainly use manual focus ,flowers panos ,the fish eye on my NN5 ,now and again I use 9 point auto cont focus ,when I get my long lens then I will start playing around with that ,better hit the sack got be up at 5am cheers good night from rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:07 am

Destiny looking into my 150 to 600mm lens choice, looks like I am getting Sigma contempary model reason over Tamron is Focus limit switch and and soft lock on zoom positions stop zoom creep, performance between the two seems to be on par and price is about the same
Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu May 14, 2015 9:40 am

Lens creep is easily fixed.. Just use one of those Rubber Wrist Bands many little shops sell.. Like a strong rubber band.. You can move is easy and it keeps the lens from creeping.. I bought an ANZAC one for $2.. Rubber Wrist Bands are everywhere so easily replaced.. You an even buy purpose made one from here but cost more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCs91ofsj-s

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Yes that solves the lens creep ,with the cheaper long lenses, I used to have sigma 80 to 400mm lens the two things I hated about it was zoom creep which that would have fixed and no focus limit switch , it used to hunt back and forwards it was awful , the nikon 80 to 400mm lens was just as bad but had focus limit switch it made that lens usable , so that's the main reason for sigma over Tamron , the thing I like about the zoom soft locks apart from zoom creep , is the repeatability of settings with pano head
Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu May 14, 2015 10:29 pm

My 50-500mm has a lock but thats only when fully closed.. I would have thought that lens manufactures would have by now, made a Lens Lock for any projection of the lens, and make it had some kind of toque where the lens could still be manually moved.. Bit silly that people have to improves with Bands just to resolve inadequacies in lens design....

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:30 am

Yes ,I agree Sigma are the first to do it with their 150 to 600mm lenses it's about time that's for sure ,if all goes well hope to order lens end of next week ,
Off course it's going cause a problem it probably won't fit in camera bag will it ;) =(
( Marc sent me a message saying the 600mm and arca Swiss request were not a problem and to give him a call when ready to order )
Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 am

That Sigma 150-600mm looks awesome.. Have you been to a cameras shop to test out the image quality. My Sigma 50-500mm is just to the best for me... How heavy is it.. I have read the good and the bad about a Monopod but I am still going to buy one.. I feel that it has to be better than dragging the tripod around.. I have a quick release clamp already or I can use my Ball Head.. To be able to hold my camera still will make all the difference. Its fine for a few photos but the weight makes me shake..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:45 am

Just under 2kg not sure how that compares with 50 to 500 ?

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Fri May 15, 2015 5:30 am

.. about the same... Heavy!

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:54 am

same weight + or - 10 grams , its about 50mm longer , the other reason I like the sigma over the tamron is they have dock for this lens you plug the lens in to it and plug it in to the computer and you can program the lens from the computer you can micro adjust the lens , adjust the focus limit switch say 10 ft to infinity to 100 ft to infinity or what ever you like , update firmware ,it also has panning image stabiliser position ,where tamron does not, optically they both have good and bad points which cancels them out and makes them equal ,sigma has more features for price
Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Destiny I was a bit hard on the Tamron ,it does have focus limit switch , sigma is a bit hard to get , Tamron a tiny bit lighter , so going to look at Tamron on Wednesday cheers Rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Destiny well the sigma contempery lens does not appear to be available in Australia at the moment , maybe grey market , so I had a look at the Tamron with the very good price they offered it to me for I decided to get it and I must admit I am glad I did it's really good , a much more impressive lens than my nikon 70 to 200 2.8 vr1 with 2 x converter for birds , or on Panogear , apart from being ridiculously slow it even gave great results at 600mm , lots of rain today ,it's going to be sunny tomorrow so will test it more
Cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu May 21, 2015 9:39 pm

I am over the rain.. Wettest summer and now Autumn is raining... At least its not so cold... Hard to work out the weather so its been hard to get out and about.. We keep wanting to go to the Glass House Mountains where there are rain forests and lots of animals.. As long as we do not bump into a snake I am happy... haha.. The animal sentry we have been in the past with lots of birds and animals is no good anymore.. Its been over run by bats.. really yack guano on the wooden walkways.. I look forward to seeing some photos from you new lens.. Its looks good.. As long as you are happy with it...

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed May 27, 2015 3:22 pm

ok so far Destiny no zoomcreep , has lens lock at 1500 as well as 400mm , The 400 one seems to be a secret , no complaints with focus so far ,does not hunt all over the place like my sigma 80 to 400 did ,had a look at sigma 150 to 600mm canon mount last night , basically the same lens you would be happy with either , but Nikon mount still not available I think , I will try and send sample , been trying to use monopod for last couple of days ,still can't say anything good about it ha , but I will keep trying :) :) cheers Rolly1
Attachments
DSC_6680a.jpg

PreviousNext