Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 214 posts
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by Destiny » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:23 pm

Wow!,... That has taken for ever to arrive.. My VR Drive took about about a week, but less than two weeks..

I have had no time to use my 50-500mm at all.. Been busy with PTP themes... and other stuff... 6 weeks of Term left.. I hope to get out there and shoot like crazy...

Your new Nikon 200-500mm seems to be a great lens.. I would love to play with it.. The reviews seem to be favourable too... Have fun with it... http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/200-500mm.htm

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

by rolly1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:10 pm

No Destiny I had a look at one at the local shop I have not bought one , it was about $2000 ,these taken using my D750 body cheers Rolly1
Attachments
DSC_4381.JPG
DSC_4373.JPG
DSC_4372.JPG
DSC_4370.JPG

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:32 pm

The MKpanomachine got sent back I think because it had AA battery's in the package I think that might be the reason , they can be a bit funny about them things in postage , so it lost a lot of time there , that's what the German postage hick up was ,

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Oh I see.. Well, it seems to be sharp.. Expensive. The Aus $ makes it all very expensive.. All my gear has gone up so much.. particularly my 14-24mm... How did you manage with the weight.. Its lighter than my 50-500mm.. by just over 2lb and its cheaper than mine.. at the price is at the moment but I did not pay that much for it on the B and H website.. The lens has gone up despite the exchange rate.. I bought mine in Aus.. I might go into the camera shop and check out the Nikon 200-500mm.. Its still an affordable Zoom lens..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 pm

I was very impressed with it, those pics are straight out of the camera and all at 500mm handheld , it is supposed to be heavier than my Tamron but it did not seem to be , and the VR seemed to work better , focus speed seemed about the same , only has zoom lock at 200mm , Tamron has lock at 150 and 400mm , Sigma has lots of zoom lock positions , I have looked at the difference between 500 and 600 and its not much , and it will work with 1.4 converter , Nikon could be on a winner , its going to be hard lens to get I think ,

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:50 am

My Sigma 50-500mm does not have lots of lens lock positions.. I sure wish it did.. The only lock on it is the fully closed... But I do have a rubber band to help stop lens cream....

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:15 am

they should have one 500mm in your case and 600 for me ,I don't use any other focal length very rarely anyway , Not being in the work force anymore I am stuck with what I have ,The MKpanomachine is my last purchase ,so I won't be changing for Nikon 200 to 500mm unless I win lotto HA

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:57 am

To be honest, I am really surprise that the MKpanomachine runs of AA batteries.. The VR Drive is a self enclosed unit with a charger. It lasts a long time.. I simply love my VR Drive.. Urs from Roundshot was the kindest man ever providing heaps of support and heaps of patience. I had no idea at all.. To be honest when I first used my VR Drive, it scare me sooo much.. But now I am very comfortable with it.. If my VR Drive even died, I would save up to buy a new one.. I cannot imagine not having one.. I take really good care of it.. Not a mark on it. Looks like new.. I simply love the HDR software... I couldn't do without that.. I really hope you love your MKpanomachine as much as I love my VR Drive.. You have waited a very long time for it.. I look forward to seeing the results.. To be honest, I am really not that confident to use my 50-500mm with it to shoot giga pixel images .. I have no idea on how to do it anyway...

Destiny...

rolly1 wrote:The MKpanomachine got sent back I think because it had AA battery's in the package I think that might be the reason , they can be a bit funny about them things in postage , so it lost a lot of time there , that's what the German postage hick up was ,

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I must admit Destiny I like it using AA battery's ,they are so easy to get , I Guess if the internal battery in your VR drive fails you would have to dismantle it and send the battery to a battery place and get it repacked , you can actually end up with a higher capacity battery doing that sometimes ,
I would do that with D4 battery's if I had one of them they are so expensive , but you should not have worry about that for a long time anyway
you should try your lens on the VR drive , it will handle the weight easily , Hard drives are dirt cheap these days so storage is not really a problem either , so give it a go Destiny cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 am

Hi..

Brisbane city.. I am OK using my 50-500mm as long as I use a Tripod..

I would not like to be the guy in the attached image dragging those lenses about.. HUGE!!

Destiny..
Attachments
NikonLensHUGE.jpg
IMG-20131119-03519.jpg
IMG-20131119-03517.jpg
BrisbaneCity-2.jpg

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:50 am

that's one huge lens did not know they made one that big , yes it would way heaps ,
I don't know Destiny I have to move to somewhere that has a cooler climate this has been one very hot and windy summer ,
that's a nice clear shot of Brisbane , how many shots was that ? ,
I like Brisbane me and my mother used to go there lots of times for holidays when I was little from Sydney , I was actually born in Brisbane a week or two ago Ha Ha ,
every time I go up to Mt lofty lookout to get pics of Adelaide its very windy and hazy ,
surprised that I have not seen any comments on Nikons 360 deg video action camera on the forum yet , not much info released yet I guess , that was a big shock news release for Gopro you would think cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:21 am

Hi.. I think about 20 shots. I cannot remember..

No one has commented on my Post regarding the Nikon 360 Mission Action Cam.. It came out of the blue. I am sure those who bought into those Kickstarters would be better off cancelling any preorders and waiting for the Nikon which should be a far better bet..... I would guess that some of those Kickstarter ventures will turn into big duds...

I really cannot wait to see how that little camera pans out..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:50 am

Bit like that myself , can't wait until it comes out , more curiosity than going to get one ,the Nikon name makes it interesting

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:17 am

Destiny did you get any Brisbane fog shots with your 50 to 500 from the lookout?

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 am

I wish. Far too slow and besides I was working.. :(.. I would have loved to have got to Mt. Coot-tha for the best views of the city.. I never seem to have time for anything these days.. The VR media is a dud in Australia.. So its basically just a hobby... I am still thinking about buying a pole to use with my 50-500mm.. Pole has a sale on and they also have a pole.. I tried with my Carbon tripod but its still a bit awkward.. The lens is fine for the first few minutes but it soon becomes too heavy for me.. The shakes are hard to get a nice steady pic.. How is your MK going.. Hoping to see a giga pixel image by now..

Destiny....

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 pm

Hi Destiny sorry about delay in coming back , had Email and internet problems , still have not solved your monopod problem , yes VR every man and his dog is bringing a camera out , the Casio one looks interesting , now talking about VR satellites I see on DP review , my MK I use it all the time , admit I am not taking any startling photos with it but that's not its problem , I cant walk far so limited where I can go , borrowed a Canon 5Dmk 3 and 24mm tilt shift lens to try on it this week , don't like Canon ergonomics , compared with Nikon , I know you would get used to it , but the button positions and operations , it just seems to be a mess , takes a nice photo on the positive side , not sure about tilt shift lens wish it was a Nikon lens , looks like the MK is not being sold anymore which is disappointing , cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:59 pm

Really.. I did not know that.. The issue with that end of technology, is it has a very limited market. Not sure how Round Shot is going.. It would be a real shame if they stop making the VR Drive.. Its an awesome tool.. The big issue with VR Tours, they seem to have a very limited market.. Those companies that create the software and the hardware should put a lot more effort into promoting this media. They only promote their own stuff which to me has always been the wrong way in doing things... That means they are only targeting people like us... Thats crazy to do this.. They cannot only rely on us, the User, and only us, to promote this media. We do not have the contacts, money, or expertise to do it. So while the manufactures sit back and let US, the end users do all the promoting, the entire media falls flat.. Its a no win situation..

Destiny...

rolly1 wrote:looks like the MK is not being sold anymore which is disappointing

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:18 am

It's really ashame because it's really good unit , I like it a lot , its very simple , from using double AA batteries , mechanical push button switches , culman clamps easy to get , brakes up in to 3 pieces fits into the laptop section of my backpack etc , great battery life , it's not perfect , software side needs a bit of fine tuning ,especially the papywizard interface ,never heard about any firmware upgrades , while I use it every week ,I am not using it to its fullest , yes I know what you mean a lot of these company's need to advertise there products more cheers rolly1

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:06 am

Destiny got some good news yesterday , a date for my operation , soon be able to start taking pictures again properly =D =D =D =D

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:11 am

Hi Destiny well had my operation at last , most painful time I ever had ,much more painful than last time , now just have to recover , I see Tamron are releasing a second version of the 150 to 600 to match the sigma , including programming dock , more klick stops better stabiliser and better optical performance , it will be interesting to see what it's like when it comes out , and price , so another lens to add to the list cheers rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:30 am

Hi.. glad to hear you are feeling better.. Ready to shoot some nice photos..
Its seems that the Tamron 150-600 is worth buying.. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tamron/150-600mm.htm

I only have this week left of the Term and then two weeks off, so I will try to get out now the weather is warming up.. I have almost finished paying off my iMac :) so I am then back onto saving up for a Nikon D5... I would like to keep my D800 just for my VR Drive. A D5 will work really well with my Sigma 50-500mm.. I will use a tripod since it still weights a heaps.. It feels like I am holding up the world..

Did I read that the MK Pano Head is not being made any more..??

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Destiny That's the one that I have , AO11 this is a new one Gen 2 AO22 , one thing I like is it has Arca Swiss foot as standard , it will be interesting to see how it compares to the sigma sport ,

yes I like the D5 and D500 the focus system is supposed to be brilliant ,
they no longer list MK pano machine on there web site ,

just before my operation I took a pano with D800 and Tamron at 600 mm , saved file as PSB file , the size of the file was 55GB will send it too you when I can cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Not 55GB I hope!!

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:14 pm

No defiantly not full size image that's for sure , I have been trying to work out the best way to view my giga pixel images I am not interested in putting them on the net , I have a program called pictures to Exe , that will do a slide show to music , it scans across image and zooms in to show the detail and then out again onto the next image etc , the effect has a name but I can't remember what it's called , you might know of a better program to do that cheers rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:37 pm

Why don't you use PTP, and set the images to Flat.. Easy..

Destiny...

PreviousNext