Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800  

Discuss cameras used for shooting panoramas, virtual tours or 360° videos (GoPros, DSLRs, one shot cams, etc..) and their various accessoires (lenses, monopods/tripods, etc...).
(EN/FR Forum)
no avatar
rolly1

Liked in: 0 post
Info

Re: Best Affordable Zoom/Telephoto Lens Option for a D800

by rolly1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:02 pm

Never thought about ptp , what do you mean set to flat , I am not in a position at the moment to operate my computer only this Ipad cheers Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Liked in: 193 posts
Info

by Destiny » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:11 pm

Well, if you are only shooting a mosaic of images in a flat pano scene, you can set the image to flat in PTP since its not a sphere.. I think it can still be zoomed in on.. I forget.. Either that use Zoomify.. Perfect for flat images.

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:38 pm

Destiny What I want to do I think is called the Ken Burns affect ? When I get enough images that I like make a nice slide show to music , Rolly1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:39 am

Oh. I see... Well I hope you share it...

D..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:15 am

Zoomify seems to be web based , I think the one I have pictures to Exe will do the trick , not well enough yet to get into it , I was surprised that Tamron would bring out a gen 2 version of that lens so soon , people have such a good choice now for affordable long zoom lenses , if people ask me which one to get I recommend looking at Sigma contemporary first then Tamron , it will be interesting to see if that opinion changes with the new one , my 150 to 600 Tamron lives on my d800 , if not for the MK panomachine but for bird photography , very cold record high less than 11deg for September windy day in Adelaide today cheers Rolly 1

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:32 am

No, you can use Zoomify offline.. and it will do quite a few transitions and effects etc. But there are many options.. Some free and some cheap..

I have been keeping an eye on some really nice spots to shoot some HDR photos using my 50-500mm.. What I would like to do is add an in-between extension zoom lens to use my 14-24mm but its not possible.. So I have to shoot a few photos and stitch them.. I will use my VR Drive since the EVs I want to use my D800 will not do.. I sure wish I could afford to buy a D5.. My girl friend bought one and its just amazing.. Its not as heavy as I thought it would even with my 50-500mm attached. Its excellent in low light.. and action shots. I have never heard of anyone using a D5 to shoot a pano.. I think they are used more for sports....

Last weekend I tried to use my 50-500mm to shoot 'focus bracketing' of flowers in the tree, on vines.. The issue is, if the object is too far away, it can move..

Destiny...

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes the D5 is very impressive camera , those big cameras are deceiving they don't feel heavy must be ergonomics , unlike those silly little mirrorles cameras feel like non ergonomic designed bricks , I do a lot of focus staking of wild orchids , I can take Multiple sets of the one plant and pick the best ones to stack because of moving plants , could be a hundred photos of the same flower , got to be patient with outdoor focus stacking , Destiny never tried plants with 150 to 600 only focus stacked landscapes

Destiny

Topic author
Info

by Destiny » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:25 am

Why do you use Focus Stacking for landscapes??.. Its not really meant for that.. Since you can use your f-stop to gain sharpness. Do you have an example where you use FS.. I did not think to do it.. I have only ever Bracketed Stacking of a Landscape for LDR or HDR..

If you want a cheap easy to use slide show software you can try Visual Slideshow.. There are many other that are cheap..

Destiny..

no avatar
rolly1

Info

by rolly1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:52 am

Destiny Nikon Keymission 360 preorder now $692 , 170 $572 and Keymission 80 $442 , lots on the market now isn't their the new 150 to 600 Tamron looks very promising, cheers Rolly1

no avatar
Ronn91

Info

by Ronn91 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:42 am

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed!
Very useful info specifically the last part :) I care for such info much.
I was looking for this certain information for a very long time.

Previous