PAY ATTENTION THAT THE NEW FIRMWARE 020781 COULD ONLY BE APPLIED ON MERLIN VERSION 2 AND NOT ON VERSION 1 !!!
Hello Will ("wjh31") and the others ...
- After upgrading and tests, I can say that the upgrade will not dammage the motors.
- Several "USB to TTL" convertors (for the upgrade) are at disposal of the users in the different countries for free, the only charge is to ship the device to the next user who need it. Have a look on the next "sticky" subject : http://www.autopano.net/forum/t8080-fir … -inventory In the second post, you will find where are the "USB to TTL convertors" (differents countries ... please manage that the devices stay in the dedicated countries !!!) Please inform me if you move the convertors from one user to another, so I can update the data's !
- The installation is simply running a "firmware uploader" , no secrets ... no special knowlegdes ! The only condition is to establish a "wired" connection from the PC to the Merlin ! A wireless connection can't be used for the upgrade. The upgrade can't be done by a MAC or a Unix/Linux machine ... only PC's running Windows !
- Now that the tests are finished and that no risks have been detected (the results will be published soon ...), I have put the new firmware at disposal together with the Firmware uploader and documents describing the procedure: http://www.papymerlin.com/merlin-firmware-upgrade/
FINAL TEST RESULTS
Thanks to the local distributor of the Merlin head in Belgium, I have finished the experiments with the new Firmware 02.07.81. It should be remember that the the upgrade to this firmware 02.07.81 is reserved to Merlin V2 (generation 2 = all Merlin's with firmware type 02.##.##) This is confirmed in the next official document of Synta : http://www.papymerlin.com/app/download/ … 1288734168
The results are : 1. No risk for the Merlin head ... Anyway this is allways possible to downgrade to the 02.06.81 if necessary ! 2. The main objectives was 2.1. Speed problems : (10 x 10 = 100 pics STD conditions as defined by Andrew) 2.1.1. Solved with "alternate drive OFF" : the speed is much faster then the Merlin V2 (firmware2.06.81) 13 min 27 sec <> 31 min 19 sec 2.1.2. With "alternate drive ON" : the speed is slightly lower then the Merlin V2 (firmware2.06.81) 16 min 10 sec <> 14 min 17 sec 2.2. Scaling effect : Solved, no scaling effect anymore .... The start/stop steps are visually "smoother" with the new firmware ! Subsequent to this observation, I have downgraded the Merlin to the firmware 02.06.81 and make a new serie of trials with the "alternate drive on" As immediate result, the scaling effect was back !!! By tightening the bolt of the yaw axis of the Merlin (it was not more possible to move the head by hand...), I have repeated the trial with the "alternate drive on" and the scaling effect disapear !!! Conclusion: the utilisation of the "alternate drive" cause "brutal movements" who result with the scaling effect mainly on the yaw axis (all the weight of the Merlin and the camera is concentrated on the yaw axis, much less on the tilt axis !
General conclusion : the "upgrade" could/should be done without any problems, this will really improve the speed, suppress the scaling effect, result in more smouth movements as for results probably less problems with long focals (less blur ...) in Gigapixel's
Recommandations : Go ! but don't use the "alternate drive ON" anymore !!!
Claude Merlin + Papywizard on Windows 7 & Nokia 770 § N810 & Acer (Netbook) + PanoramaApp Androïd + Deltawave PapyMerlin BT + Autopano Spherical Pano (180 x 360) with Canon 40D + Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom & Pôle Pano with Canon 5D MK2 and shaved Tokina 10-17 3.5-4.5 AF DX Fisheye Gigapixel photography with Nikon D200 + Sigma 70-200 F 2.8 EX DG APO HSM